This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#69166 November 27th, 2006 at 12:41 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Something is going on with one of my orchids. I have no idea what kind it is so this isn't going to be easy.

At the base of the stems the stem is getting fat. I don't know if I'm overwatering it, or it's got something wrong with it, or what. Can someone tell me what is going on?

#69167 November 27th, 2006 at 01:00 AM
Maybe it's forming a new pseudo bulb, Tammy. Duh When you overwater Orchids, they don't swell up anywhere... they get droopy & the roots turn to mush.

Can you take a pic of it?

#69168 November 27th, 2006 at 03:23 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I dropped the camera, it doesn't work so good any more. What's a pseudo bulb?

#69169 November 27th, 2006 at 04:02 AM
This is probably more info than you're asking for, but here is an excerpt from a reply I wrote to a young enthusiastic gardener in August, over in the flowers, plants and Gardening forum.

Pseudobulb literally means "False bulb". When you look at an orchid plant, you will see something that looks a little like a bulb at the bottom of the leaves. (Some types of orchids have that "bulb" between the leaves, & others have it so far down from the leaves, that it might actually be under the Orchid Mix.)

To make it clear for you, I took one of my orchids out of the pot & took a picture of it, & labeled the parts. (I wouldn't do that for just ANYBODY, you know! The thing is, I've taken a liking to you, & since you've taken such an interest in these plants, I'll go the extra yard to make sure you understand.)
[Linked Image]
Now, back to why you shouldn't keep an Orchid "stem" in water...

The pseudobulb of an orchid has a lot in common with a cactus; it (and its leaves) hold most of the water and nutrients that it needs. If you were to squish it, water would come out of it, just as it would from a squished cactus, & if you were to cut one open, it would look very similar to what the inside of a cactus looks like. (Please just take my word on that, & DON'T squish it or cut into it!) grinnnn

OK, have we established here that pseudobulbs (and cactus) store moisture? ...Yup, they do! Now, keeping that in mind, you need to go one step further in believing me when I say that as long as your "rootless" orchid plant isn't located in a really dry or hot area, it actually will survive for quite a long time (in a cool, dry place), & still have enough water inside it to start new roots when it's potted... and, it could even put up a stem after a while! [Linked Image]
Here's the link if you want to see the discussions that went on in that thread... Propagating Orchids .

Sorry to hear about your camera! I dropped mine a couple weeks ago & thought it was ruined, because the pics I took right after that were sucking in too much light! eek I don't know why, but it straightened up & is fine now... except that whenever I upload the pics with the camera program, a folder is created with a "Dec 2004" date! I haven't figured out how to reset the date in the cam yet, but will probably have to resort to the instruction book... which I've avoided so far, because it's like reading an encyclopedia! [Linked Image]

#69170 November 27th, 2006 at 09:31 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
That looks like what the stems are doing. And the location is right too. So this is a good thing I guess? I am brand new to orchids and never thought they would even survive this long but so far so good.

Link Copied to Clipboard