This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#68981 October 5th, 2006 at 06:44 AM
L
LandArt Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Hello, my significant other and I are new to this board, he's a Landscape Architect and I'm a Civil Engineer. We both enjoy landscaping and have done quite a bit this past summer at the house we bought in the spring. We bought a japanese maple (prox. 15 gallon bucket) and planted it over Memorial Day weekend in about 90 degree weather. The tree has done well, it was planted properly (with all the fertilizer and layers and mounding so no standing water, etc.) and was a beautiful red color until about a month ago - when it turned green. Our question is, does anyone know why it turned green (our best guess is that one of the parents of the cultivar caused it to revert back to green) and/or what, if anything, can be done to make it be red again? It's a Trompenburg variety. Any help/input would be greatly appreciated!

#68982 October 5th, 2006 at 09:57 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
see the bottom of this page for more info.

here's a picture showing it with green leaves edged in red.

#68983 October 7th, 2006 at 09:19 PM
L
LandArt Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Thanks for the info.! We've planted the bloodgoods quite a bit, but this was our first Trompenburg - glad to see it's behaving normally!

#68984 October 8th, 2006 at 10:24 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
you're welcome!!

it's a particularly beautiful j.maple...altho, they're all lovely!!

forgot earlier...welcome to the forum!

#68985 November 6th, 2006 at 06:16 AM
L
LandArt Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Thanks for the ID! We were so relieved to see it was behaving normally! Gonna post a picture now that dodge showed me how to do it. And thanks for the welcome to the forum - this place is great!

[Linked Image]

#68986 November 6th, 2006 at 07:33 AM
I have one too, just a cutting from a pal, It is so neat, but mine is small, and in the summer the leaves were like yours a nice reddish,now indoors the leaves fell off and now green.But I am wondering if mine is really this or not, I will need to get a pic and post this week:-)

I hope so,as yours is so pretty!

#68987 November 6th, 2006 at 08:20 AM
L
LandArt Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Thanks! We kept seeing it at the nursery we frequent, we wanted it but weren't sure because of what we figured the price tag would be. Memorial Day weekend I mistakenly bought a very invasive form of bamboo, so figured I'd "compensate" to my significant other by letting him buy this tree! One of the best purchases we've made so far!

#68988 November 6th, 2006 at 08:27 AM
Well mine is tiny..have to do the indoor outdoor thing,Indeed a great purchase,Awesome tree;-)

Link Copied to Clipboard