This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#68415 July 27th, 2006 at 12:17 AM
OP Offline
So we've really taken to Annie...I had a bag of Bat Guano that I kept from a previous gardening project, but never really went through with...so I mixed up a pitcher of "Bat Crap Tea" and gave the tomato plant and my mystery plant a nice drink. and this is what the tomato plant looked like that day (This was Sunday) Oh yeah, we also put the cage on it that day:

[Linked Image]

I go out there once in the morning before I go to work, and once in the evening when I come home. Well, I snapped some more pictures this morning, and this is what Annie looks like today:

[Linked Image]

For a volunteer (and constantly reading that you can't start tomatoes from seed in the ground in this region) I'd say she's doing pretty well.

I also took a picture of the "Hollyhock" mystery plant. Here it is...

[Linked Image]

I tell ya..my partner and I sure had a field day out there weeding in the heat one day..LOL Now I see why they say weed early.

#68416 July 27th, 2006 at 01:00 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Tomatoes are so responsive to their enviroment that they are really cool to watch. Annie is looking great.

Your Hollyhocks are looking great too. You may want to move the little one over a bit or the big ones going to stunt it's growth. Or at least that's what I did. But I waited until the spring of the second year so it stayed small. And has never gotten as many branches on it as the big ones did. But becareful their tap roots go on forever.

#68417 July 27th, 2006 at 01:06 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Annie's growing pretty good there...
Leaps and bounds...

For a volunteer (and constantly reading that you can't start tomatoes from seed in the ground in this region) I'd say she's doing pretty well.

*I leave tomatoes from the previous years growth
on top of the soil, and mine volunteer profusely*

#68418 July 27th, 2006 at 02:58 AM
S
S
..so Hollyhocks are perennials? Even up here in the tunderiffic zone 5? I got 2 at a plant swap and they're only about a foot tall. I was seriously thinking they're never going to get to flowering stage as small as they are.

Julianna, who's still mostly clueless about non-edibles.

#68419 July 27th, 2006 at 06:37 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Hi,

Hollyhocks are biennials. They are foliage the first year and flowers the second year.

Link Copied to Clipboard