This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#67836 October 15th, 2006 at 11:09 PM
C
crooks Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hi all i am new to this site and hope i can have an answer to this question, i live in Cyprus and we have recently moved to our new home, i would like to start to design the garden but there is one question, can anyone help. We want to place beach stone (collected from the local beach) in the garden will the salt in the stone effect any of the plants, if they will how is best to arrange them, do they need to be washed. Thanks.

#67837 October 16th, 2006 at 07:11 PM
Since I don't know what plants you have it isn't possible to tell if the salt will affect the plants. There are salt tolerant plants. My favorite is portulaca. I planted it by my bulkhead and in a storm salt water would dump right on it and it kept on flowering and looking beautiful. I would wash the rocks to be safe. My sister visited Cyprus and the pictures she took were beautiful.

#67838 October 16th, 2006 at 07:51 PM
Crooks, I'm not 100% sure if there is enough salt left on rocks & things gathered from ocean beaches to bother plants, but I think that rinsing them off wouldn't be a bad idea.

Years ago, I hauled a lot of kelp home from the bays in Seattle Washington & buried it in my garden, & my vegetables grew like crazy! I've also crushed up clam shells & put that in my gardens, & have decorated garden beds with driftwood found on ocean beaches... (there was plenty of salt content in that stuff, & at the time I hadn't even thought about it having a bad effect of the plants... or I probably wouldn't have done it!) Duh

(We'll want to see pics when you get done with your project, you know!) [Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard