This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#67822 September 2nd, 2006 at 04:59 AM
OP Offline
I have been reading about a "Fast growing Flowering tree" that is a shade producer for back yards. Known as the Royal Paulownia. It is supposed to grow 12' per year to a max of 40'.

Here is the salesman's information for it:

Botanical Name: Paulownia Tomentosa

Form: Deciduous tree

Sun Exposure: Partial Shade/Full Sun

Height/Habit: Up to 40'

Spread: Nearly equal spread

Hardiness Zone: 4 - 10

Foliage Type: Light green cordate leaves, broad crown. No autumn color.

Flower Form: 10" pyramidal clusters of trumpet shaped 2" long blooms.

Flower Color: Lavender blue with purple and yellow marks on the inside

Flowering Date: Mid spring right before and just as leaves are appearing.

Planting Requirements: Not particular about location.

Soil Requirements: Fertile, moist but well drained soil.

Growth Rate: Fast

Unique Characteristics: Rapid growing tree (similar to Catalpa in texture). Can provide shade in a hurry. Known for its large leaves and foxglove-like flowers. 15+' in 4-5 years. Can grow as much as 5+' in a year.

Pruning: Remove wayward or crossing limbs in late winter to early spring while dormant or early autumn to prevent bleeding of sap.

Additional Information: Very tolerant of air pollution

My question is this; Does anyone actually own one of these trees and are they invasive? The photos I see vary a lot! Some look like a tree with LARGE pink flowers. Is this a year round bloomer? Does it require a ton of raking? Is it a hazardous tree in windy areas? Will my neighbors all hate me in 5 years??

I don't find this tree listed in much other than a sales oriented presentation. I am tempted to buy but I know there must be real life experiences with this tree out there and I need your opinions

Thanks
smile

#67823 September 2nd, 2006 at 06:30 AM
The only thing I know about this tree is it is invasive but so beautiful in bloom. My sister in law considered planting one in zone 5 and reconsidered after reading how invasive it can be.

Joanne

#67824 September 2nd, 2006 at 10:10 AM
P
P
check this link for additional info.

ECOLOGICAL THREAT
[Princess tree is an aggressive ornamental tree that grows rapidly in disturbed natural areas, including forests, streambanks, and steep rocky slopes.

Botanical Name: Paulownia Tomentosa

Form: Deciduous tree

Sun Exposure: Partial Shade/Full Sun

Height/Habit: Up to 40'

[40-50 ft.]

Spread: Nearly equal spread

[yes]

Hardiness zone: 4 - 10

[In the West's Climate zone: zones 4-9, 11-24]

Foliage Type: Light green cordate leaves, broad crown. No autumn color.

[fall color insignificant; foliage tropical like effect, light green roughly heart shaped sometimes lobed leaves 5-12" long and 4-7" wide]

flower Form: 10" pyramidal clusters of trumpet shaped 2" long blooms.

flower Color: Lavender blue with purple and yellow marks on the inside

[flower: fragrant 2" trumphet-shaped lilac blue; inside with darker spotting and yellow stripes.]

Flowering Date: Mid spring right before and just as leaves are appearing.

[brown flower buds the size of small olives form in autumn, persists in winter and bloom in early spring before leafout.]

Planting Requirements: Not particular about location.

[protect from strong winds.]

Soil Requirements: Fertile, moist but well drained soil.

[does best in deep, moist, well drained soil.]

Growth Rate: Fast

[yes]

Unique Characteristics: Rapid growing tree (similar to Catalpa in texture). Can provide shade in a hurry. Known for its large leaves and foxglove-like flowers. 15+' in 4-5 years. Can grow as much as 5+' in a year.

Pruning: Remove wayward or crossing limbs in late winter to early spring while dormant or early autumn to prevent bleeding of sap.

[if cut back yearly or every other year from an early age, it will produce a mass of giant-size leaves to 2ft. long but at the expense of flower production.]

Additional Information: Very tolerant of air pollution

[yes]

My question is this; Does anyone actually own one of these trees and are they invasive? The photos I see vary a lot! Some look like a tree with LARGE pink flowers. Is this a year round bloomer? Does it require a ton of raking? Is it a hazardous tree in windy areas? Will my neighbors all hate me in 5 years??

[They are very invasive.]

[plant where falling flowers and leaves are not a problem.]

[Not a tree to garden under because of dense shade and surface roots.]

[Check also Paulownia kawakamii, similar to Paulownia tomentosa but smaller at maturity.]

I don't find this tree listed in much other than a sales oriented presentation. I am tempted to buy but I know there must be real life experiences with this tree out there and I need your opinions
Look for Sunset Western Garden Book at your local library. The info provided is from this book.

#67825 September 2nd, 2006 at 05:12 PM
This is a tree that I have been trying to propagate here at home. I want to put it in a memorial garden for my uncle.

Papito, will it hurt my pond, with a pre-formed liner, if I plant one close to it? That was my uncle's favorite tree that he really loved...

Do the roots grow straight down?

Dianna

#67826 September 4th, 2006 at 02:09 AM
Some one named my plant that ..
Will post a photo after it quits raining here.

Penna
Mine is about 4 foot tall now ..From seed this year.??
Beats me if it is the one>

dodge

#67827 September 5th, 2006 at 02:17 AM
m.colson

Here my plant in my yard and someone told me it was a paulownia

Checkit out..sept4,2006......

Any one agree or disagree, let me know.

dodge [Linked Image]

#67828 September 13th, 2006 at 07:49 AM
D
D
I have a couple of these trees. If you plant them give them a enough space! The some of the foliage is huge and it has kind of a coarse appearance. My trees are about 30 feet now and they haven't bloomed yet, that I have seen (so no seedlings). I am not sure about the picture, this tree is often mixed up with the much more common Catalpa. I think the Purple or Golden types of Catalpa are a better choice. The Arnold Arboretum in Boston has a huge stand of Empress and they are impressive in flower.

#67829 September 13th, 2006 at 08:38 AM
Thanks.......

Someone on here told me it was Paulownia.

i wasnt in the market for any, but had 3 grow from seed and thought it was cute.
It has lots of farm country room.. Is almost as tall as me now..........
I hope whatever it is , will winter over.

Thanks

dodge clp

O
O
I think Longwood Gardens in PA has a road lined with Paulownias also. I think they are kind of messy as well as invasive.

Dodge, that looks like paulownia to me.

Terry

Thanks .

i will check it out.
I have only one to mess me up..ha ha

Gave the rest away.

dodge

flw flw flw

R
R
they are great trees and a beauty when in bloom.

i don't think they would be invasive in AZ, probably can't survive unless watered.

if you like that style of tree, check into catalpa , it's cousin chilopsis \'desert willow\' , and the cross of the 2, chitalpa

D
D
Originally posted by dodge:
Thanks.......

Someone on here told me it was Paulownia.
<snip.......>
dodge clp
Dodge I am not sure if your tree is an Empress, it is hard to tell from the picture. I just know sometimes they get confused with Catalpa. I was looking at one of my Empress trees and it is growing in the wrong place. I may have to cut it down.

D
D
Dodge

Sorry, but that is definitely not a royal empress or paulownia tree. I have been growing one for the past two years and the leaves are different, not as distinctly heart-shaped as those are. Also, to anyone planning on planting one, I wouldn't if you enjoy looking at fall foliage. This tree is hideous in the fall and, although it has large leaves that provide much shade, it looks rather like a large beanstalk. I am considering removing mine for something more pleasing to look at.

KD

fd

ha ha

Mine is only 3 foot tall..I was told it was mimosa seed???????

However being it is winter here,it may crook.

See I like seeing lot of stuff around and letting the least liked go to its grave.

thanks,

I have my doubts too.

dodge

Link Copied to Clipboard