This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#6687 August 17th, 2005 at 02:58 AM
njoynit Offline OP
OP Offline
I got a few pumpkins outta my patch.I need to know how everyone cooks them down for use in recipies.I'm takeing the small on for my cubed mango/bannana/pumpkin with tequila for over my ice cream.the other 3 .........I've never cooked a real pumpkin for use in a pie...a cake.I've just diced....cooked& poured tequila and watched it flame and ate on ice cream and on pumpkin pie as a topping.
Is the measure 2 cups would that be 2 cups raw or cooked and how long would I cook.I tried searching...but keept getting 18 0z cans& 2 cups of pumpkin filling& that was searching fopr makeing from scratch.
So please inform me.
I'm gonna do cup cakes& a pumpkin bread.(my bread recipe is 2 pans,but one pan will do 8 cupcakes)
They are sugar baby& sugar sweet.I'll soon know if sugar sweet is really the swetest pumkin.

#6688 August 17th, 2005 at 01:14 PM
T
T
Have you thought about choppin , boiling down a bit and canning? I have done this before without any spices so it is available for any reciepe you want.

#6689 August 18th, 2005 at 02:11 AM
njoynit Offline OP
OP Offline
I wanted to make it today or tomorrow....why'd I wanna can to use now?I know my others will be smaller....the later vines started got weed wacked ...my hubby(his favorite hobby I believe)I have sprouts from one that rotted on ground.but know they will be smaller.

#6690 August 19th, 2005 at 02:17 AM
njoynit Offline OP
OP Offline
My sis told me to roast them in the oven,to cut them open and clean out the seeds and cut into chuncks and cook on 350 about an hour or so.She also said could use a crockpot,but wasn't sure on that being she was in FL on vacation at the moment....(was watching dolpins in ocean as we spoke.lucky here huh)
she also told me that pumpkin filling isn't actually from pumpkins but a winter squash?some name with a "C"?
Also she said after cooking and puree ing it to line cheese cloth in my metal strainer and let it sit to drain moisture and cover with towel.she said the moisture will screw my stuff up.So how do I know its dry enough?

I'll also have a pumpkin eggnog pie recipe from her after she returns& hopefully by thanksgiveing.

#6691 August 20th, 2005 at 02:05 PM
L
L
In recipes it would be 2 cups cooked pumpkin. The best way to keep its flavor would be to bake in in the oven. Just bake at 350 degrees until it is soft and you can easily fork it. Boiling will make it more watery than baking.
The only safe way to can it would be to pressure can in cubes with added water. Pumkin pureed and pumpkin butter are not safe as they can lead to botulism. They are too thick to can.
I know that you, njoynit, didn't want to can it, but someone else mentioned canning it.
You can cook it and freeze it, too, if you have some left over.
I have also heard they mix squash in with the commercial canned pumpkin. Even sweet potatoes. I don't know for sure if they do or not or if it is the variety of pumpkin that is sweet that they can.

Link Copied to Clipboard