This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
Janeen Adil in Accessible Gardening also makes these neat suggestions for 20 gardens kids might really enjoy....

1) PIZZA GARDEN: tomatoes, onions, peppers, garlic, oregano & basil.

2) SPAGHETTI GARDEN: tomatoes, onions, peppers, garlic, oregano, basil and spaghetti squash.

3) CHINESE CUISINE GARDEN: snowpeas, radishes, cucumbers, Chinese cabbage, pac choi...

4) MEXICAN CUISINE GARDEN: pinto, kidney black turtle or garbanzo beans; tomatoes, hot peppers, cumin and cilantro.

5) MEDITERRANEAN CUISINE GARDEN: tomatoes, eggplant, summer squash, peppers and onions.

6) NATIVE AMERICAN GARDEN: plant the Three Sisters: corn, beans and squash.

7)HARVEST/HALLOWEEN GARDEN: pumkins, gourds, Indian corn, popcorn and sunflowers.

8) SPECIALTY GARDEN: plant six colors of peppers, four sizes of pumpkins or an assortment of popcorn for instance.

9) EDIBLE flowers GARDEN: nasturtiums,calendulas, cives, Johnny-Jump-Ups, borage, signet marigold.

10) MINIATURE rose GARDEN: of any kind

11) TEA GARDEN: mints, lemon balm, chamomile, cinnamon basil, anise hyssop.

12) A SHARING GARDEN FOR PETS/WILDLIFE: sunflowers, catnip, popcorn, birdhouse gourds, peanuts.

13) HERB GARDEN: of any kind

14) COLOR GARDEN: plant all in one color, such as yellow, red, or white.

15) TOUCHING GARDEN: lamb's ers, succulents, ferns,grasses,geraniums, mosses.

16) SCENTED GARDEN: carnations, scented geraniums, tuberose, heliotrope, mignonette, sweet peas, alyssum, nicotiana, stocks, four o'clocks, herbs.

17) MOON GARDEN: moonflowers, Madonna lily, white roses, artemisia, nicotianan, lamb's ears, night-scented stock.

18) CRAFTS GARDEN: flowers for drying (everlastings) such as statice and strawflowers, aretmesia for wreaths and large gourds for carving.

19) HUMMINGBIRD GARDEN: bee balm (monarda), lobelia, salvia, trumpet vine, snapdragon, coral bells, cardinal flower, pineappple sage, scarlet runner bean.

20) BUTTERFLY GARDEN: marigold, nasturtium, zinnia, salvia, buddleia, butterfly weed, yarrow, coreopsis, purple coneflower, cosmos, chives and lantana.

T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Hey Merme,

I wanted to tell you I appreciate your putting this string up. I may be past the kid stage but I do want to do some dried flower stuff.

T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
BTW should we add the celosia to the craft garden? I've heard it drys well and keeps its color.

Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm sorry I missed this post from the other day, tk. The suggestions for the craft garden is by no means a complete list...I wanted to just give an indication of what could be grown for various applications.

However, I believe it is spring Hill catalog that offers an assortment of Everlastings in prepackaged garden mixes at rather affordable prices. If anyone got one of those seed sets, they'd be likely to be able to grow a nice selection of plants that dry quite well. I recommend this approach as an alternative for those who do not enjoy a "trial and error" experiment in gardening by guesswork. Others may perfer to grow only one or two specific plants knowing what the need and want.

Merme

T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I had bad luck with spring hill so I don't even get their catalog anymore. So I'm depending on you Merme. More more please. Pretty please lol.

Tk - off topic, but I'd like to know about your negative experience. I've been eyeing their stuff for some time now.

PS - I love this thread and all these ideas!

T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I bought there bush roses set with the free one and some ranuculus, and a bunch of other stuff I don't remember what all now. And the only thing that grew was the peach tree. I followed the directions very carefully cause I had never had a garden before and I so wanted it to be beautiful. Anyway they have a guarantee so I called them and they reshipped everything. And none of that stuff grew either. I was big time upset. I didn't even bother to contact them again. It was just to painful to water and fertilize stuff that never grew just turned brown and died.

Hmm good to know. Sorry that happened!

Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
While everyone is certainly entitled to share an opinion here, which is what makes all good forums GREAT forums, I would be terribly remiss if I did not add another comment about spring Hill.

It's been in business since 1848 and has been notoriously reliable season after season, not just for myself but many others as well. Very fair pricing too.

That being said, it is difficult to order from catalogs and from on-line sources in general. Many people prefer to shop locally where they can freely eyeball the products and make quick returns in case of trouble. Shopping as a rule is a very personal experience for most people.

I used spring Hill merely as an example of a reliable catalog plants and supplies source...there are others with equally reputable histories.

Merme

To your touch garden you could add a nerve plant I forget what the real name is mamosa? but you touch it and the leaves fold up..

Link Copied to Clipboard