This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#65876 November 2nd, 2006 at 11:28 PM
S
sibyl Offline OP
OP Offline
S
thought we could share our trials/triumphs! gab

my trials this year was i planted my little annuals too close to my big annuals. you could hardly see the little things. good thing is i can redo em next year, and add alot more from all the seeds i got from the fall fling!!!
im still trying to put a flower bed all the way down the driveway, its all rock, so i gotta use a claw,and its taking forever!

#65877 November 4th, 2006 at 09:34 PM
Sibyl-we have ALOT of rock here too and it does indeed slow down progress.
My trial? I'm having alot of trouble finding an annual flowering vine that can stand up to the wind and full sun. Tried Morning Glory and Black Eyed Susan vine so far. Not sure what to try next. Idea's anyone Duh

#65878 November 5th, 2006 at 04:53 AM
netty - have you tried purple hyacinth bean, or scarlet runner bean? I grow both every year on an arbor and they do very well in sun and wind.

#65879 November 5th, 2006 at 05:57 AM
Nope, have not tried those yet. I think I have some purple hyacinth seeds coming in from a trade too! grinnnn

#65880 November 5th, 2006 at 08:23 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hmmm, I'd say my biggest trial this year was the placement of my pond! It totally messed up how I water all the flowers. Usually I can just drag the hose straight down, but now I can't do that and it's a pain in my rear. laugh Other than that I'd say that I just sort of lose my joy for weeding/watering around August when it's super hot....

#65881 November 6th, 2006 at 08:16 PM
Biggest triumph: Having a wonderfully indulgent future husband around to do the heavy-duty stuff. clp

Biggest trial: Convincing that wonderfully indulgent future husband to do the heavy-duty stuff. crit

#65882 November 7th, 2006 at 11:56 AM
R
R
Netty, cardinal climber (aka cardinal creeper) thrives in full sun and requires no care once established. Not sure about the wind part, we just get your average occasional tornadic activity (or "micro-bursts" as the insurance companies like to call them, lol) here but nothing persistent.

My triumph was replacing hundreds of orange daylilies with 5 Siskiyou pink gaura in fall 2005. Found out too late they don't set seed so not sure what will happen if I can't get volunteers and they die, but they fared very well over the winter and were absolutely delightful all summer long this year, and were where several monarch caterpillars chose to make their chrysalides (I think they liked the bindweed I couldn't get rid of within the gaura). Our house is the bus stop for several of the neighbor kids including my son, so the first thing everybody did each morning was check to see if anything had hatched, and they eventually all did!

My trial was planting my white and pink cypress vines so late, and in too shady a spot. The white never came up, and the pink didn't bloom as well as it probably could have because of the shade. Live and learn!

#65883 November 8th, 2006 at 05:49 AM
It just so happens that I got some Cardinal climber seeds from a trade I did! Oh and look...they were from YOU! Thanks roflol kissies

#65884 November 8th, 2006 at 07:54 AM
R
R
lol, did I send you some? I guess once I delete the PMs to clean up my box, I can't remember a thing... good Lord, Topamax really *does* make me dumb as a box of rocks (I thought crazymeds.org was kidding, but it sure did cut down on the migraines so the trade-off is worth it most of the time).

perpl

#65885 November 8th, 2006 at 02:09 PM
S
sibyl Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally posted by myndful:
Biggest triumph: Having a wonderfully indulgent future husband around to do the heavy-duty stuff. clp

Biggest trial: Convincing that wonderfully indulgent future husband to do the heavy-duty stuff. crit
laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh
thats so true!

#65886 November 9th, 2006 at 03:09 AM
laugh laugh laugh laugh thumbup

Link Copied to Clipboard