This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#6570 July 11th, 2005 at 06:29 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Anyone have a good and easy dill pickle recipe to share? I am making pickles every other day and would like to try something new. Thanks! Connie

#6571 July 13th, 2005 at 06:33 AM
waveyHi Connie, I don't know if this is what you are looking for.These pickles are very good and don't need to be processed.

Dill-Pickle Chips

Makes 2 quarts
Pickling gives crisp, mellow vegetables spunky personality. These Kirby cucumbers—a small, unwaxed type that"s perfect for pickles—are seasoned with dill and garlic. Salting the cucumbers helps draw out excess water, ensuring crisp results.

2 pounds Kirby cucumbers

3 tablespoons coarse salt

2 cups distilled white vinegar

1 tablespoon dill seed

4 garlic cloves

2 bunches fresh dill, coarsely chopped

1. Cut the cucumbers into 1/2-inch-thick rounds, and transfer to a colander set in a bowl. Toss well with salt. Refrigerate cucumber rounds 1 hour.

2. Rinse cucumber rounds well; drain. Pat dry between paper towels. Transfer cucumber slices to a large bowl.

3. Bring 3 cups water, vinegar, dill seed, and garlic to a boil in a medium saucepan, stirring. Reduce heat; simmer 4 minutes. Let mixture cool slightly, about 10 minutes.

4. Add chopped dill to cucumber slices, and toss to combine. Pour in the brine. Let cool completely, about 30 minutes. Transfer mixture to airtight containers, and refrigerate at least 1 week (pickles will keep 3 weeks more).

#6572 July 13th, 2005 at 06:11 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Thanks Duckie! I have cucumbers that need to have something done to them today and I am going to try that! Connie

#6573 July 21st, 2005 at 07:45 AM
L
L
Kosher Dill (Heinz Recipe)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4 lbs pickling cukes
14 cloves garlic, peeled & split
1/4 cup salt
3 cups distilled or apple cider vinegar 5%acidity
3 cups water
12-14 sprigs fresh dill weed
28 peppercorns

Wash cucumbers; cut in half lengthwise. Combine garlic and next 3 ingredients; heat to boiling. Remove garlic and place 4 halves into each clean jar, then pack cucumbers, adding 2 sprigs of dill and 4 peppercorns. Pour hot vinegar solution over cucumbers to within 1/2 inch of top. Immediately adjust covers as jar manufacturer directs. Process 10 minutes in BWB. Makes 6-7 pints.

I have also used dried dill weed in some and I like them. It just looks a bit messy in the jar with the dill weed settling in the bottom. You can also use dried dill seed.

#6574 August 1st, 2005 at 06:25 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Thanks! We are still getting cucumbers despite the triple digits for 2 weeks. I will give this one a try! Connie

Link Copied to Clipboard