This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#65073 June 23rd, 2006 at 06:29 AM
J
johnCT Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I wanted to start a new topic in response to a question Julianna asked in another topic rather than hijack that one, but this is open to all who are growing tomatoes this year. So please chime in. Pics are also welcome! Of course, this is more for us northern gardeners who have YET to taste a homegrown tomato!! eek

Originally posted by Sorellina:

Are you doing that this year or going with the wooden stakes? You've already done sooo much work with those raised beds and the light setup before that! Those cages look like a lot of work, not to mention the band-aids you'll probably need for your hands.

Also, just curious, since we're at about the same growing rate, whose got fruit-set in your tomato garden? I've only got Borgo Cellano, Sungold F1 (your seeds), Kotlas, Moskvich, Orange Strawberry, Kimberley, Sophie's Choice, Whippersnapper, and today Mountain Princess. Flowers are exploding everywhere now, though..finally.
Ciao Julianna! I should have enough mesh to cage all but a few of my plants. I have a couple golf ball sized fruit on Kimberly and 8 total. Others that have set for me are SFT, New Big Dwarf, Lucky Leprechaun, Lime Green Salad, Stump of the World, Omar's Lebanese, Mortgage Lifter, Sungold, Grub's Mystery Green, and Citron Compact. That's all I can remember. There could be more but I haven't checked them all since Tuesday evening. Looking forward to Kimberly ripening soon! clp

#65074 June 23rd, 2006 at 06:37 AM
I just recently planted my garden. I have 8 tomato plants, 3 cucumbers, 3 cantalopes, and 1 garlic chive and 1 cilantro. I'm new to gardening so whats the best way to grow maters in zone 6a? My maters are only about 6 in. tall right now but they'er growing.

#65075 June 23rd, 2006 at 06:40 AM
oh yeah I forgot to mention the types, 4 of the tomato plants are lemon boy and the other 4 were unmarked when I got them.

#65076 June 23rd, 2006 at 07:39 AM
I'm an extreme northern gardener, I'm yet to see my plants break past the 6 inch high state, our weather is awful. My garden looks the worst it has ever looked in all the years I can remember.

Good luck to all who have nice tomatoe plants, I'm jealous.

#65077 June 23rd, 2006 at 07:45 AM
I'm growing only one yellow pear tomato now, and it's about 3 feet tall with a few flowers.
I'm growing it up a cedar stake, and it is lightly tied to the stake with twine.
My Celebrity was destroyed by a fungus of some kind, so I yanked it out and bagged it in plastic for the trash.
The Sungold cherry is doing well, but the tomatoes tasted so horrible (to me) that I gave the plant to a neighbor.
My bell pepper has one good sized pepper and two smaller ones.
The strawberries are providing me with warm, sweet snacks, a few ripen each week.

#65078 June 23rd, 2006 at 07:53 AM
J
johnCT Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally posted by Deborah L.:

My Celebrity was destroyed by a fungus of some kind, so I yanked it out and bagged it in plastic for the trash.
Duh

#65079 June 23rd, 2006 at 08:01 AM
I have one Mr Stripey, and some Sweet 100 cherries. The cherries have lots of blooms, but no fruit yet. Mr Stripey has had some blooms but no fruit yet.

#65080 June 23rd, 2006 at 08:01 AM
I have 8 tomato plants, cherry,beef,Roma,early girl and a few unknown, there are just starting to get baby tomatoes...
I have 8 garlic chive a ton of parsley,basil,thyme, cilantro,dill,rosemary,mint,lavender.
also green,red,yellow peppers
all kinds onions
squash-yellow-cukes-zukes,green and wax beans
cabbage and some jalepeno and red chilies and banana peppers. I think that is it?

Happy growing to you all

#65081 June 23rd, 2006 at 08:28 AM
Dang Angie! You can send any extra my way! laugh Did you grow your jalepeno from seed?

#65082 June 23rd, 2006 at 08:33 AM
Not the Jalepeno,Tonya, but many others.
Speaking of that, I should get out there and get something done flw

#65083 June 23rd, 2006 at 10:50 AM
Originally posted by johnCT:
Of course, this is more for us northern gardeners who have YET to taste a homegrown tomato!!
thumbup
I guess I'll keep the picture of my ripening Cherokee Purple to my self....

{walking away pouting} ters

laugh laugh laugh

#65084 June 23rd, 2006 at 11:20 AM
John, the Sungold, it had a weird winey/sour flavor that just didn't appeal to me.
But the lady I gave it to is eating them and enjoying them, so this story does have a happy ending !
To me, the best tomato is a tangy tomato, not the sugary sweet ones.
A good beefsteak flavor, if that makes any sense now that there are so many different tasting beefsteaks.

#65085 June 23rd, 2006 at 11:22 AM
Mator, aw, come on, let us see the picture of the Cherokee Purple ! smile

#65086 June 23rd, 2006 at 11:37 AM
I've been picking Green Tomatos and frying them, also I am getting LOTS of requests for green ones.

I have I think 12 Celebrity and 12 Roma's.

#65087 June 23rd, 2006 at 12:34 PM
D
D
Have 44 Cherry Tomato type plants planted- 11 Large fruited Cherry plants, 11 Gardeners Delight Cherry Toms,11 Supersweet 100 Cherrys, and 11 Juliets. I put mine in the garden on Memorial weekend- started them all from seed though earlier. Alot of them are now flowering- but the plants are growing big fast! Hopefully they should fruit soon!

#65088 June 23rd, 2006 at 02:00 PM
S
S
Ciao John,

Wow, you already have fruit set on your Silvery Fir tree..sigh, mine doesn't even have an open blossom on it yet. And Grub's Mystery Green, too! Lucky duck you are. I've got open blossoms on that one but they just opened up in the last few days. There's a HUGE chrysanthemum blossom on one of them, though. I'm thinking it might be a big honking double. My Kimberleys aren't golf ball sized..only about the size of a nickel..BUT, they are the largest of all the fruit that HAS set at least and I have probably 8 or so of those also. It's so weird, Sungold F1 has set fruit, but it's in Cherry Row along with Galina's, Bicolour Cherry, Green Grape, Snow White, and Black Cherry, so I have no clue why the others haven't set. You're going to love Stumpy. It tastes a lot like Brandywine but it's WAY more prolific. Ooooh, it's getting close isn't it! I'm going to be up to my eyeballs in twine this weekend, they're getting so big!

Cheers,
Julianna

#65089 June 24th, 2006 at 12:47 AM
J
johnCT Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanks for all the great replies!! Keep us updated on production, taste, disease, etc!

Originally posted by mator sandwich:
I guess I'll keep the picture of my ripening Cherokee Purple to my self....
Hey now!! That is completely unfair!!

Originally posted by Sorellina:

Wow, you already have fruit set on your Silvery Fir Tree..sigh, mine doesn't even have an open blossom on it yet.
SFT was started early with Kimberly and Taxi on March 11th. I'm actually suprised it's taken so long, but the weather so far this spring has been terrible for growing. Yes, it is getting close. I just wish the weather would start to cooperate. The past seven days have been good, but now this weekend we're supposed to get 6 to 8 inches of rain again. mad

#65090 June 24th, 2006 at 02:12 AM
I've got 37 tomato plants. One of my three Black Plum is loading up with fruit, maybe 3 dozen or more, and that's not counting the 10 or so I picked because of BER. One Bloody Butcher is loading up really well, another is just starting to load up. A few tom's on Yellow Pear. My one Arkansas Traveler, the only tom I didn't start from seed, has one tennis ball sized fruit and numerous smaller ones. I'm trying to decide whether to yank all 4 Mortgage Lifters. They all have a lot of leaves with Early Blight. One is starting to set fruit, though. One German Red Strawberry is now setting fruit...that one has been really exciting to watch. About 5 days ago, a grape sized fruit seemed to just suddenly appear. Within 2 days, it just as suddenly had 8 or so fruit, now 12 or so. The first fruit is already golfball sized. I'm amazed.
First fruit showing up on Delicious and Brandywine.
My six tomatillos are completely covered in blooms, I haven't looked closely to see if there's fruit yet.

#65091 June 24th, 2006 at 03:53 AM
J
johnCT Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Dave, you know....I noticed some suspect leaves that I removed last night on my Mortgage Lifter. It might be nothing. It's a little early for blight around here. That isn't seed you got from me is it?

#65092 June 24th, 2006 at 03:56 AM
I had a grape size tomato on one of my plants when I got it and a couple of days later it just disappeared.

#65093 June 24th, 2006 at 03:59 AM
No, John, the seed was Ferry Morse or Burpees that I got from either Lowe's or WM. I've picked off the infected leaves, and they look ok, but we've been having some rain, so I'll have to watch closely. They're not the only plants getting it. It's common to have some here. They are the ones that seem to be the most affected, and they're growing in different parts of the garden among other varieties that aren't affected yet so I suspect it's not the growing conditions...

#65094 June 24th, 2006 at 04:51 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Uh, I better get planting, a couple of mine
are still in the pots, huh??? shocked shocked shocked eek eek thumbup clp

#65095 June 24th, 2006 at 05:16 AM
J
johnCT Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally posted by weezie13:
a couple of mine
frown frown shk shk

#65096 June 24th, 2006 at 05:21 AM
S
S
Ciao Dave,

Black Plum, even though it's small, it's kind of in that paste category and those guys are more prone to BER than other varieties. I had some fruits on that one with BER early in the growing season, but I'll tell you what. That plant LOADS up on the fruit, by the middle of harvest season, you won't even bat an eye about it. I got over 50 lbs of fruit, all from one plant last year. I'm not anal enough to record harvest weights from over 60 plants, LOL. Hm, maybe I shouldn't laugh so hard, John and I both know people who do that..*stifled LOL*.

PS Got fruit set on Black Heart and Orange Banana this morning ;o)

Cheers,
Julianna

#65097 June 26th, 2006 at 06:43 AM
M
M
Best cherry I've found yet is the Jellybean - great to dry also

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard