This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#64941 November 7th, 2006 at 08:00 AM
OP Offline
And the green bean and lettuce and corn posts ! And all the good veggies !
Somebody say something-anything !!!! Wah !! ters

#64942 November 7th, 2006 at 08:05 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
something. anything.

grinnnn

sorry! just couldn't resist!!! *runs away before she gets hit!*

#64943 November 7th, 2006 at 08:09 AM
It won't be long before people start talking about starting their seeds for the next season, I'm still trying to get my garden in shape...I have 2/3 cleaned up, but we keep having rain and more rain and pretty soon I'll be saying it is too cold to work out in the garden....and it has to get cleaned up very soon.

#64944 November 7th, 2006 at 09:11 AM
OP Offline
Very funny, Joclyn ! I roared !
Bless you, Comfrey....
Anybody else? wink laugh

#64945 November 7th, 2006 at 11:12 AM
I know what you mean... if I don't post in the topic, I've read it... they have all helped me out so much!
Can't wait 'till next year! laugh laugh laugh

#64946 November 7th, 2006 at 06:04 PM
Deb its not all doom and gloom Duh

#64947 November 7th, 2006 at 08:59 PM
J
J
It's that time of the year unfortunately. I put most of my garden to bed for the winter two weeks ago. Still have carrots and leeks going in my root bed though. I put in my seed offer to SSE a couple weeks ago also and am waiting for my absolute LAST tomato to ripen on the counter so I can save it's seeds. My 2007 tomato grow list has 55 varieties on it ALREADY! nutz

Let's see, what else.....Planted my garlic recently also. Have a compost bin FULL of shredded leaves and plant material.

#64948 November 7th, 2006 at 10:06 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Originally posted by johnCT:
My 2007 tomato grow list has 55 varieties on it ALREADY! nutz
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

#64949 November 7th, 2006 at 11:41 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I still have one vadalia onion preparing to winter over and some garlic. Green onions have started making their seed pods but they aren't nearly ready. Hopefully they make it before it gets to cold. I haven't dug up my horseradish root yet but I know I have to do it soon. I'm just wondering where in the world I'm going to store it until I get a new place. I may have to trade lorena for another one.

I have some heirloom purple cluster tiny tomatoes. They sound very interesting and I'm thinking about trying to do them indoors over the winter. But I haven't decided yet. It will depend on where I move to.

And that's my veggie story and I'm sticking to it lol.

#64950 November 8th, 2006 at 02:32 AM
O
O
I just had my last tomato sandwich on Saturday, the same day I got my first seed catalog!!! (Twilley's). The last picking before frost lasted a lot longer than the big picking I had a month before. I think the difference was that I washed them before laying them out to ripen.

I'm enjoying my best carrot crop ever and just cooked my first fall cabbage last night. I also have lettuce, turnips, and mache (corn salad) that I've been harvesting. I haven't harvested any of my broccoli or rutabagas yet. I got them out a bit late, but they are about ready. I don't think the cauliflower is going to make it though. My garlic and elephant garlic has been out for several weeks now.

Yesterday was the last planting day of the year. I planted my shallots and potato onions and some lettuce to overwinter for the first spring crop. My seedling onions were planted the first week of August and are doing fine. They'll soon need to be covered for the winter. My winter rye is up also. It's not doing much right now, but when the weather starts warming in March, it'll start going to town.

My next planting day is January 1, when I'll plant my extra-extra early tomatoes.

Tammy, I just leave my horseradish in the ground all winter, only digging it as I need it. It's only when the temperatures are starting to warm up that I'll dig it to store in the fridge as that's when it will start to lose it's heat.

#64951 November 8th, 2006 at 04:04 AM
mrw Offline
I still have some tomatoes in the basement I picked and wrapped in newspaper while they were green. Quite a few have turned red, and though are not as tasty as in August, they are edible and probably better than some of the supermarket ones. I have my seeds all ready for next year (saved my own) . Have a peaceful winter.

#64952 November 8th, 2006 at 07:58 AM
OP Offline
I'm loving these posts and it's cool of all of you to post for me !
Keep 'em coming !

#64953 November 8th, 2006 at 08:01 AM
OP Offline
Markr, whatever happened with the greenhouse potato idea?
Tammy, what does a Vidalia taste like? Can you believe our stores never have them? At least I've never seen one.
Oby, what's a potato onion?
Gosh, all the posts are great !

#64954 November 8th, 2006 at 09:10 AM
I got a medium sized bell pepper off a plant before the frost the other day.

#64955 November 9th, 2006 at 07:28 AM
OP Offline
Friends, don't laugh, but....
I don't really understand this seeds overwintering thing you talk about.
Do you mean you plant seeds and that they're frozen under the snow all winter? And come up on their own?
Wouldn't the melting snow wash the seeds away? I don't get it !
Deb....you don't get out much do ya.... Duh

#64956 November 9th, 2006 at 08:09 AM
Deb i didnt get em in :rolleyes:
sorry to disappoint, was busy fishing again lala

#64957 November 9th, 2006 at 08:35 AM
R
R
Deb, don't feel bad... I'm reading this page wondering what language these people are speaking... ;-)

We just pulled up our 3 tomato plants yesterday from our teensy garden, with several frost-bitten green tomatoes :-P.

Looking forward to next year, though: Will only put in 2 I think, 3 was crowded. No pumpkins, that was a bust (didn't know there was a difference between male and female flowers, let alone how to tell - where are the back legs to look between???!!! hehe) and the carrots didn't work out so well either. So tomatoes are a keeper, will look for other stuff to try for a kindergartner and a newbie gardener mom.

Keep speaking the greek, maybe I'll pick it up by immersion.

flw

#64958 November 9th, 2006 at 09:11 AM
OP Offline
ROFLOL ! The way to tell the difference is that boy pumpkins have deep voices and girl pumpkins have high voices !
For pete's sake even I know that !!!
(Kidding). p

#64959 November 9th, 2006 at 09:32 AM
OP Offline
And my next I-don't-get-out-much question: What's a "mud room"? Like a playroom for kids when it's rainy and muddy outside?
I know, here it comes.... Deb, what planet are you on....
:rolleyes: shocked

#64960 November 9th, 2006 at 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Deborah L.:
And my next I-don't-get-out-much question: What's a "mud room"? Like a playroom for kids when it's rainy and muddy outside?
I know, here it comes.... Deb, what planet are you on....
:rolleyes: shocked
A mud room is like a small room or hall that you enter into from outside....It is where your muddy shoes/boots are taken off, coats are hung etc, before entering the main part of the house and that way its(mud & snow) not tracked all over the house.

#64961 November 9th, 2006 at 11:23 AM
I am still pulling carrots as I need them from my garden, and I also found a few green onions I had missed, so they were a nice find also.

A vadalia onion is a very sweet pleasant tasting onion, not like most store bought onions. It has a taste of its own, but very sweet.

#64962 November 9th, 2006 at 01:51 PM
OP Offline
I'd love to walk outside and pull up a carrot !
Thanks for the explanation-you mean like an enclosed front porch?
I heard that Vidalia is sweet, I hope to find some sometime.

#64963 November 9th, 2006 at 10:56 PM
O
O
Deborah, potato onions or multiplier onions are an old fashioned onion that you can keep for years and years without buying any new sets. The key is to plant 2 different sizes.

When you plant the small "onion set" size, they will mature as large 3-4" onions. When you plant the large 3-4" onions, they will split into many "set" size onions which you then save for replanting in fall.

As far as overwintering goes, all the plants will be germinated--my seedling onions are already several inches tall. Onions are very hardy, but I protect them with row covers over tunnels made of concrete reinforcing wire. I put clear plastic over them when it gets really cold, but I'm not sure that's really necessary. Planting onion seed in the fall results in larger, sweeter onions.

The lettuce seed will germinate yet this fall and will overwinter as small seedlings--also with protection.

#64964 November 9th, 2006 at 10:59 PM
J
J
Originally posted by comfrey:
I am still pulling carrots as I need them from my garden
Me too. This is my first year getting decent carrots since building a root crop raised bed with nice, deep, loose soil. thumbup

#64965 November 10th, 2006 at 12:39 AM
Yes John you are correct...When growing carrots it is very important to work/till the soil very deep and remove any rocks that might be present. I make a row that is a hilled up area also. I didn't even thin mine out this past season...So when I pull the ones that I want the others left can still grow and are useable also. I wouldn't suggest anyone do this, the proper way is to thin them when they first come up.

Deborah....Yes an enclosed porch could be considered a mud room or used as the same.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard