This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#64777 August 19th, 2006 at 04:27 AM
B
bsd4 Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Our neighbor spilled gas down his driveway and into our yard. Our grass is already dead. How can we save our trees and shrubs? Please help.

Thank you

#64778 August 19th, 2006 at 06:17 AM
We cut down a tree in March and our neighbor is constantly pouring gasoline and oil into the stump. This is very frustrating as I have small children that like to play on the stump. Anyway, the stinkin' stump is showing no signs of dying. So, hopefully, you're trees will be just as resiliant. I don't know if there is anything you can do, if the gasoline has already soaked into the soil. Maybe you could flush it out with lots and lots and lots of water? Then again, that might just encourage the shrubs/trees to drink up on a gas/water brew. I'm sure someone more knowledgable than I will be around to shed some light on the subject.

#64779 August 19th, 2006 at 09:39 AM
Mr. Radio
Mr. Radio
Most trees and shrubs have roots which are deep enough to keep an event like this from harming it. Grass however is not so lucky. The best thing that you can do is scrape a few inches off the area that is affected and add new top soil, then re seed.

#64780 August 21st, 2006 at 09:57 AM
If it's regular gas, it will probably go away, as mentioned above.

But, was it mixed fuel / oil like for a chainsaw or weed eater?

If that's that case, you might want to eliminate the contaminated soil.

And, some professional landscape supply places sell activated charcoal which may be useful. Especially for a pesticide spill or over-dose in soil.

You local golf course maintenance department should be able to tell you where to get it. It's well known in the greeens care industry.

Link Copied to Clipboard