This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#63744 July 27th, 2006 at 03:18 AM
ShirlS Offline OP
OP Offline
has anyone here grown Tomatillo's in a container? If so were you sucessful? I am trying to grow them. My plant looks great with lots of blooms, but no fruit is forming. Any ideas? Opps, I should have put this in the container gardening section! Sorry!!

Thanks

#63745 July 27th, 2006 at 04:54 AM
S
S
Ciao Shirl,

No worries, I can respond to that. Tomatillos put out a ton of blossoms before they "set" fruit. It's best to grow 2 plants together for optimum pollination as well. I've got some that a neighbour gave me in a 15 gal IKEA bucket on the driveway. I've no clue what variety they are, but it's not a concern really. They're to augment my other ones growing in the ground for salsa once the tomatoes come in. This critter is so funny, the ones in the container. It looks like some kind of tomatillo bonsai. I staked it with a small bamboo stake and it's branching like crazy like an umbrella. It's got quite a few small fruits on it, but I wouldn't worry, just give it time. I hope you're in Eastern Washington, though. These things love the heat. They grow wild in Texas and Mexico.

Cheers,
Julianna

#63746 July 27th, 2006 at 06:23 AM
ShirlS Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Julianna!

I appriciate your help. I will be patient and see how we come out.

Shirl

#63747 July 27th, 2006 at 07:07 AM
S
S
Here's a picture of my bonsai tomatillo, lol:

[Linked Image]

Cheers,
Julianna

#63748 July 27th, 2006 at 02:40 PM
ShirlS Offline OP
OP Offline
What a cute plant! It really does look like a Bonsai! I will have to get a picture of mine and post it when I get a moment. I do live in eastern Washington, and man has it been hot here!! Mind you, I do not miss the weather in Ontario one bit, it is not only hot, but humid to boot! sca Out here it is a dry heat which makes all the difference in the world.

Shirl

#63749 July 28th, 2006 at 03:15 AM
S
S
Ciao Shirl,

Yeah, I bet you don't. Duane and I are chomping at the bit to relocate to Vancouver. The sidewalk snow plows were cute for about 2 seconds, but I miss the mountains, the orcas, and yes, the rain. I'm sure we'll need a greenhouse to get some of the tomatoes to ripen, but that's ok with me..it's a more than fair trade not to have to deal with the toques, the boots, the hats, the gloves, the scarves, the slush, the salt....sigh.

Cheers,
Julianna

#63750 July 28th, 2006 at 05:09 AM
ShirlS Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi Julianna

Ahh yes, I too love the mountains! I was raised in them, and for me nothing can beat their beauty. I lived in the T.O area for 20 yrs. I look back thinking how I ever got through the summers. My eldest still lives in Ontario, about an hour and twenty minutes east. My youngest followed me to BC. He is near enough(now that I am in WA) I get to see him all the time. Here is a picture of my Tomatillo. It is not the best picture, but will suffice I suppose. Hopefully it is not to big. I can't wait until I can have a real garden again ( not in containers). We are having a home built, so next spring I can get down and dirty in the garden clp

[Linked Image]

Have a wonderful Day!
Shirl

Link Copied to Clipboard