This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#63571 September 7th, 2006 at 08:29 PM
T
OP Offline
T
I have a Weeping willow tree that has finally grown large enough to provide excellent shade in our hot Central Texas afternoons and the cats really appreciate it. However, the limbs are now growing so long that they touch the ground and it's becoming a problem at mowing time. There is a lot of grass underneath the canopy of leaves and branches (St. Augustine) and the mower runs over the leaves pulling the branch down and sometimes damages the leaves or branch. Anyone have a suggestion on how to mow around and under a Weeper? Duh

#63572 September 7th, 2006 at 08:50 PM
Trim the branches back would be my suggestion. I know the tree will not be quite as pretty, but that is all I can think of. Good luck to you! Have any pics of the tree?? I just LOVE willows. cool

#63573 September 7th, 2006 at 11:29 PM
I would spray round-up on the grass growing under the tree and when the grass is dead (a couple of days max) I would then mulch under the tree and that way you dont have to ruin the natural look of the tree and can still just mow around it.

#63574 September 8th, 2006 at 01:30 AM
T
OP Offline
T
The willow is so large it would be murder to "Round-Up" the grass area. I have hesitated to cut the branches, as you noted, it would ruin the look of the tree. Maybe not "ruin" it, but the new growth would be ugly. However, I don't really see any alternatives. I thought about getting some rope/string and surrounding the branches then pulling them into the center, tying it off and then mowing. Sounds like a lot of extra work to mow the grass every weekend. Wish we had planted the tree before the grass, but nooooo! I had to have my yard in first. Normally I would have taken Budman's advice but we're talking about an area ten feet in radius, so twenty feet squared diameter. Too much work for me, I'm out on that. I could spend the extra time digging for worms! ha ha Thanks guys as always, you are great!

Terry in Texas.

#63575 September 8th, 2006 at 03:02 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
I mow under my weeping willow trees with a push mower, pulling it backwards instead of pushing it. Works like a charm...unless you forget that you have hummingbird feeders hanging in the tree, and hit them with your head...and then get sugar water all over your hair.

#63576 September 8th, 2006 at 03:27 AM
Duh

#63577 September 9th, 2006 at 12:34 AM
I have a small Weeping willow that I just planted last spring, so it is just getting started. I will have to remember not to hang any of my Hummer feeders on that thanks to af grey parrots advise, ha,ha... I have already mulched up to the drip line of the branches and am planning on continueing that as it grows so that I dont need to mow under it. I have an unlimited supply of hardwood mulch to use, so it wont be a problem (hopefully).

#63578 September 9th, 2006 at 12:41 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Budman...The hummingbird feeders look so pretty hanging from the willow branches...and the hummingbirds love them there. You just gotta remember that they are THERE when you are walking backwards with the lawnmower! thumbup

I can knock my head into one, then totally forget it's there on my next pass with the mower...and when I'm finished mowing under the willows I have to hose myself down to get the sugar water off me, then fill the feeders back up! shocked laugh

#63579 September 11th, 2006 at 04:03 AM
Terry I have the same problem as you, though my willow probably isn't quite that large. I usually let the grass grow under the tree till it really bothers me then I have hubby come out and hold back the limbs while I mow. lol
We did *round up* under it once this yr but I was afraid the limbs would get in the round up and I'd have ugly dead limbs haning from my tree!

I never thought of mulching under it. I might try that next spring!

We have a neighbor who decided to *trim his limbs* this yr on his willow. OMG the thing looks so ugly now. lol He sat a bench under it, for looks I suppose since I never see him sitting out there in it! It looks like a bad haircut. lol I'm talking SHORT. sca

Link Copied to Clipboard