This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#62749 November 26th, 2006 at 06:12 PM
OP Offline
The insert on this plant says it was designed for the indoors. As it gets colder here, of course, we turn up the heat. How can I stop the leaves of this plant from browning anymore? I spray it weekly and keep the soil pretty moist but I'm afraid of OVER watering. What are the rules on this one???

Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
Tammy-Sue found this info on this site

Most banana trees are hardy in zones 8-10 and would not survive the winter even with a mulch. They should be lifted in the fall, potted, and brought in the house. Indoors they should be grown in soil-based potting mix in full light with shade from hot sun. From spring to summer, water freely and apply a balanced liquid fertilizer monthly. Keep the soil just moist in winter.
go to top of your page in search Garden helper type in banana tree care. The leaves on mine turn brown then it puts on new leaves I keep it moist all the time will try and get a phot later to post here.
Hope this helps

Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
Here are two shot of my Banana tree first one shows dead leaves which I cut off after they have no green left.
Brown Leaves
This next one show a new leaf as well as one forming (long green stem on top) I have it outside to water down to 58 here right now.
New leaf and leaflet
Note the size of the new leaf. This plant will spend most of the winter in the Iguana room where the heat is constant 70 deg. I use a two wheel dolly to move this as well as my corkscrew tree (shown below)around the other large plant's are on plant dollies.
Corkscrew Willow Tree

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
and to increase the humidity around your plant, without over watering, you can place it over a pebble tray. take a dish, about an inch or so larger than the pot, place pebbles or rocks or something to sit the plant on, in it, then fill it with water, to just below the bottom of the pot. the water will evaporate and make the plant happier.

OP Offline
That humidity idea sounds like just what the doctor ordered. Jimmy's info really helped me as well. Thank you

Link Copied to Clipboard