This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#62567 November 18th, 2006 at 08:05 PM
Wrennie Offline OP
OP Offline
Has anyone ever grown rutabaga successfully? Is it a slow grower? I'm in Z5. Do I have enough time?

#62568 November 19th, 2006 at 09:18 PM
I've got rutabaga growing now that I planted last month.It has not had any problems with the light freezes we are having daily.It's in a raised bed and I'm zone 8,still pretty warm here.This is the latest I have ever grown it.I've got to throw some clear plastic across it to protect it from the daily rain we are getting.It has a more concentrated flavor grown drier flw I grow it for my husband,I don't like the stuff :p I think you will get very limited growth now but if protected, a very early spring crop.

#62569 November 21st, 2006 at 03:01 AM
O
O
I have rutabaga that should be about mature. I think I planted it out back in late July or early August (a little later than usual). zone 6

It's best to plant it so that it matures in the cooler weather of fall. It needs cold temperatures in order for the best flavor to develop. If you plant seed now, it will mature in summer if at all. Being a biennial, it may simply go to seed after the temperatures warm and not even produce a crop.

#62570 December 4th, 2006 at 12:01 AM
What do you do with rutabaga? How is it cooked?
Same question for parsnips-what do you do with them?
I'm not all that sure what turnips are for either ! Duh

#62571 December 4th, 2006 at 04:41 AM
mrw Offline
Rutabaga is a large round waxy veg, I always call them turnips. I peel, cut into chunks and boil til tender, takes a while. Drain, mash til smooth, add a little milk, butter, season with some salt , pepper, and a little nutmeg. Either you like them or you don't. We do,it makes a good substitute for mashed potatoes with gravy and meatloaf for example.

#62572 December 16th, 2006 at 02:56 AM
R
R
Rutabega, turnip, and parsnips!

MRW has good avice on rutabega, I like them chopped into chunks in meat pie - they tast like a cross between a potato and cabbage. Yum.

Turnips are my all-time fave... Saute in butter with salt - cabbage-like taste. They are great pickled and raw too.

Parsnips - Yucky to me. But they give soup a good flavor. They tast a little like a bitter carrot/turnit/celery cross.

Link Copied to Clipboard