This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#62523 November 4th, 2005 at 01:44 AM
K
KathyMS Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Hi,
I have an area under my bedroom window that I am wanting to plant bulbs. I already have bought the bulbs and everything I need, the only problem is I have a neighborhood cat that comes through the privacy fence to use this area as his or her litter box!! How do I stop this?!!
Thanks so much for any suggestions,
Kathy in Alabama

#62524 November 4th, 2005 at 11:25 AM
AV Queen
AV Queen
I hear chickenwire over the dirt and lightly covered with mulch (so they can't dig) will help. Also have heard that citrus peels discourage them.

Personally, I live in a neighborhood full of cats and have 3 of my own. I find it to be a losing battle, and I have admitted defeat. They never harm my plants, and I have put out pots of cat mint for them. I just wear gloves when working in their "area".

Hope this helps some,

Sarah

#62525 November 4th, 2005 at 11:30 AM
Do you have any thorny bushes you can lay across the area? Also, I have heard of cayenne pepper works. But after it rains you would have to re-apply.

They were going near my pond area picking out the fish. I clipped some rose bush limbs and laid it in the path and they stopped coming near the pond.

#62526 November 4th, 2005 at 11:36 AM
AV Queen
AV Queen
Cayenne pepper burns thier eyes and they can't get it out. Not a very humane choice.

It's really not the cats fault, per se...it's the owner if anything. Please don't make the cat suffer. There are humane choices.

If it's a big problem, they also sell motion activated sprinklers.

#62527 November 4th, 2005 at 12:01 PM
B
The Garden Helper
The Garden Helper
B
plant some moth balls under your mulch. Cats avoid the smell more than you avoid the smell the cats leave behind.
Please don't do anything that could injure any critters... they are just doing what comes naturally! pepper your neighbors instead!

#62528 November 5th, 2005 at 12:28 PM
K
KathyMS Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Thanks everyone so much for your help! I really do appreciate it! I'll let you know how it goes, okay?
Thanks again,
Kathy

#62529 November 5th, 2005 at 08:18 PM
Mr. Radio
Mr. Radio
What about a really big dog? dev

#62530 November 6th, 2005 at 01:43 AM
K
KathyMS Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Haahaa!! Mike that's funny!
The only problem with that is I have a 7lb toy poodle that wouldn't like that very much! sca heehee
Thanks!
Kathy

#62531 November 18th, 2005 at 02:48 AM
J
J
The moth balls really do work - I tried them this season for the same reason - a stray cat was coming in my yard and using it as a litter box. I have two of my own who to outdoors in the yard, but use the litter box inside. Once the stray started using the backyard, I was concerned that my own would find it acceptable as well and I did not want to put my hands in the plants, and come up with ****!!
Anyway - it solved my problem
Ellen

#62532 November 18th, 2005 at 03:48 AM
K
KathyMS Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Hi Ellen,
Thanks so much for your help! That sounds like a winner. clp
I'll get a box of mothballs today.
Thanks again,
Kathy

#62533 November 18th, 2005 at 07:52 AM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
I have done the moth balls before with great success...this summer in the gardening dept of Wally World there was a plant they had for sale that they called "cat away"...does anyone have any idea what it is? Should have looked at the tag on it, this is the first year I have seen them! Duh

#62534 November 19th, 2005 at 03:44 AM
J
J
If the leaf looked similar to a malva or geranium, I've tried it with little success - in fact my cats got great enjoyment out of sitting right next to it in the garden.
kit

#62535 November 19th, 2005 at 05:48 AM
K
KathyMS Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Thanks you guys for all the help!!!
4Ruddy, I LOVE your signature about hot flashes, laugh that's fantastic!!!!
Kathy

#62536 November 29th, 2005 at 01:34 AM
My mom had the same problem and tried mothballs, and they didn't work for her. I was horrified when she used them, because I have heard thet they are extremely toxic and a known to be a powerful carcinogen.
I think the idea of laying down chickenwire should work great...we put hardware cloth (wire with little squares, smaller than chicken wire) in our houseplant pots, and it works fine.

#62537 November 29th, 2005 at 02:42 AM
Can't help you with your question, but Norman - my mom puts mothballs in her vacuum cleaner - she loves the smell!!! I refuse to go to her house the day of/following cleaning because I cannot stand the smell, let alone how toxic it is! No amount of explaining gets her to stop using them!

#62538 November 29th, 2005 at 08:57 AM
Lynne...I can't believe they still sell them...they used to sell them crushed as "borer chrystals," but, as I understand, they outlawed them fot that use. Yet they still sell them to put in your closet! Go figure. nutz

#62539 November 29th, 2005 at 10:16 AM
wavey ...hey palies.

Great topic!...........the cat poop issue has always made me see red.
ewwwwww........the smell, and getting it on your hands,really gross!!

I used cayenne pepper for a lot of years.But I read an article about a cat getting it in its eyes and .............. shk
In my own defense....I've never had a cat as a pet.(I was clueless)

I'm an organic gardener.But I also use mothballs.
It works for me.

I use 3 inches of pine bark mulch on all of my perennial beds.So I just tuck some mothballs in the first inch of mulch.

Usually,depending on the amount of rain we get,I toss the old ones.Put in some new ones.

#62540 November 29th, 2005 at 12:24 PM
K
KathyMS Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Hi Duckie,
Great suggestion! I have put the wire down and it seems to be working in that area but I'm still having problems. It seems as though this cat thinks my whole backyard is his/her litterbox. Oh well, I guess I'll keep picking it up with my little dog's pooper scooper! frown
Thanks you guys for all the great ideas!
I wonder if I put the mothballs all along my privacy fence would it work?
Thanks again,
Kathy

#62541 December 1st, 2005 at 10:21 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That idea about the moth balls is good. I used moth balls to chase some copperheads away. The smell interferes with their natural sense of smell. I never used moth balls to keep cats away. I had cats bothering my flower gardens. killing some plants (some other plants can tolerate the cats.) I used medium sized rocks around the plants. The cats are looking for nice soft soil similar to cat litter to go in. So make it hard for the cat to dig and he/she will find someplace to go.

#62542 December 5th, 2005 at 07:30 AM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
Just a suggestion.....rather than fight it...how about digging a little area just for the neighbor cat TO use. Cats love soil that is freshly turned so you might want to find a place WAY out past the house for it to use.

OR maybe set up a litter pan for it WAY out back. Duh I'd rather clean up one area rather than the whole yard. perpl

When I used to let my kitties out they would still use the indoor litter box....what the heck is that all about? I was hoping they WOULD go outside.LOL

#62543 December 5th, 2005 at 08:39 AM
K
KathyMS Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Thanks Catlover and Oui, I really appreciate the help! I had snakes one time in my yard, at another house, and you're right, the mothballs do work for that. Whew, I'm glad, I hate snakes!!! sca
Thanks Everybody!
Kathy

#62544 December 6th, 2005 at 09:59 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If it is not your cat I wouldn't dig it a space in YOUR yard for it to go. Try the moth balls and big rocks around the base of your plants first. If you want to make it it's own space in your yard to go a little sand will work. but then you have smelly cat pooh pooh in your yard. EEK!!

#62545 December 6th, 2005 at 10:17 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I thought Mothballs were organic??? They are made out of cedar aren't they?

#62546 December 6th, 2005 at 10:19 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Are mothballs poisonous? Can they hurt children?? I can't imagine a child eating a mothball BUT children will do some unpredictable things.

My neighbors 7 year old son put a slug in his nose once..YUCKY..NO kidding.

#62547 December 6th, 2005 at 11:21 PM
A quick Google search shows numerous pages addressing the toxicity of mothballs. They ARE poisonous, though not often lethal. Inhalation of the fumes is hazardous, and skin contact can cause rash, irritation and absorption into the bloodstream. When used to protect clothes, the clothes should be left to air before wearing, and the fumes dissipate quickly. frown

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard