This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#62279 June 21st, 2006 at 03:45 AM
frown I know it's not the soil because I have ammended the soil in my garden beds and have it tested regularly, so it is almost like "Black Gold"! thumbup [/QB]
well that is it. Morning Glories like poor soil to bloom really well. So if they are not vigorously blooming they cannot seed themselves. The ones on the edge of my garden don't grow well at all, but I have a neglected flower bed with tons of growth. Several common annuals are like that.

#62280 June 21st, 2006 at 06:19 AM
Morning Glories like poor soil to bloom really well. So if they are not vigorously blooming they cannot seed themselves.
Well, I never really had any trouble with them blooming from the seeds I planted because the trellis was always covered with flowers and produced seeds, so I guess the problem was with the soil. Duh

Geesh, I spend time and money to ammend the soil only to find out what I'm planting there doesn't like good soil. Of course, I guess nothing was wasted because my Clematis seem to love it there. luv

#62281 June 22nd, 2006 at 02:48 AM
I went out this morning and the big vine had a beautiful pale blue morning glory on it. My son thanked me for the blue instead of pink. Last year he was embrassed because the morning glories are our flowers we plant together, well he didnt like it when he had to tell his friends those crazy pink things were the ones he helped grow. lol laugh

#62282 June 22nd, 2006 at 03:25 AM
OP Offline
Well dang it..i'm glad you are all having wonderful luck with these things..i have one vine growing up one side of it, and that is it..it actually looks like a freakin weed..i'm quite disappointed and about ready to go back to the greenhouse and buy the ones that are already huge..i'm so upset..that was to grow around my trellis behind my small watergarden..RRRRR..i can never seem to get what i want to accomplish there..very strange i think

#62283 June 22nd, 2006 at 04:00 AM
Lankford, have you ever thought about using Clematis there? idea They make such a beautiful display on a trellis once they get going. Here's a picture of my 'Nelly Moser' Clematis.

[Linked Image]

#62284 June 22nd, 2006 at 05:24 AM
OP Offline
no i hadn't thought of that..although that doesn't look tall enough for what i'm needing..although maybe it isn't done growing..I really would love to see the morning glory...and i do believe they get taller than the clematis..could be mistaken though..as i looked through every dang website for the fastest and talling annual vine..i could have misread..hehe..beautiful flower though (that you have)

#62285 June 22nd, 2006 at 05:44 AM
Langford, the Honeysuckle will get very tall so you might want to think about using something like that on your trellis.

#62286 June 22nd, 2006 at 06:43 AM
OP Offline
is it too late though to plant them where they would take over? I want it to cover the trellis..it's one of the open doorway ones..i guess is how i would say that..

#62287 June 22nd, 2006 at 08:23 AM
It's not to late to plant honeysuckle but I don't know if it will cover the trellis the first year. Honeysuckle is NOT an annual and it will come back every year. thumbup The scent is heavenly! angell

#62288 June 22nd, 2006 at 01:53 PM
I had a spot like that Lang, behind my pond. I put in 3 different clematis, and cannas nothing would grow there. I gave it up and the following summer all three clematis came in full and beautiful. 3 years nothing growing then finally all 3 at once. Go figure. Duh

#62289 June 22nd, 2006 at 04:26 PM
I gave it up and the following summer all three clematis came in full and beautiful. 3 years nothing growing then finally all 3 at once. Go figure.
Karrie, I know what you mean and isn't it those nice surprises that make gardening fun? wink

#62290 June 23rd, 2006 at 02:39 AM
OP Offline
oh geeze...that would be my luck as well..i was thinking of starting a perennial there..but i was hoping this year for the annual to take over until the perennial gets to it's full growth in a couple of years..who knows..maybe i'll give it a shot..thanks for the help...i'll have to post some pics..i still haven't figured out how to do that..nor do i think i want to post pics from this year..as the school is now in my backyard..it surely doesn't make for an interesting background..ugh..

#62291 June 23rd, 2006 at 03:24 AM
Patches, they are the best, and most of all it was nice to finally receive some kind of a reward for my efforts. No matter what the results of my gardening I always enjoy the work but still its nice to be rewarded with those beautiful blooms.

#62292 June 24th, 2006 at 02:33 AM
OP Offline
Oh i could imagine it is nice hearing about it..and that it paid off..i enjoy gardening as well..but i get very frustrated when it doesn't grow fast..i want to see results NOW..ya know? hehe..very impatient..

#62293 June 24th, 2006 at 08:02 PM
Langford, if you're going to garden you need to learn to have a little patience. wink Remember if you want to enjoy the fruits of your labor it's best to wait and let it ripen or you'll miss out on the sweetness. frown

#62294 June 25th, 2006 at 01:40 PM
B
B
i planted morning glory's in the back yard in my flower bed now i'm going to pull then get rid of them. my mother inlaw said they will tale over. and i don't need that. i have kind's of plants in there. anybody what them let me know. and we will talk.

#62295 June 27th, 2006 at 03:09 PM
Here is what the seeds from my pink morning glory did this year. I plucked them and planted them here and to my surprise...

[Linked Image]

Here are the space ship bushing morning glories, I sure hope they spread like wild fire on this hill.
[Linked Image]

#62296 June 27th, 2006 at 03:45 PM
Here is what the seeds from my pink morning glory did this year.
Oh, Karrie, I'm partial to pink flowers, but I love the 'baby blue' morning glory Duh That is such a pretty flower! What a nice surprise! wink

#62297 June 28th, 2006 at 12:48 AM
I'm growing mostly Japenese MG this year in hanging pots(got 18 going& 4 are a mix all mostly different,but NOT what were labled due likely to OP)I do have 2 nice spots of purple bindweed& yes!They will grow great as a ground cover.one spot covers ditch area& shades the roots of my blackberrys& another grows on stump of mimosa& looks weird when the butterflys devour its leaves....its then the naked MG.Bindweed is also perieneial.Especially where I'M AT!
I've grown the flying saucers& liked it& hopeing it has re seeded where I grew it last year.I've already pulled a bindweed from there(sneaky devil).

I lived Indpls for 11 years.I did grow MG they useually bloomed end of july.My soil was awful.I gardened with LOTS of effert.A pick axe to break it up....a shovel or a cup to scoop it out...a few handfulls of potting mix....plant whats going in& useually scooped the crap over the good stuff.(I guess I more less dug a pot& filled it!)only MG ever had come back were in a hanging basket and they returned cause was indoors for the winter.

Here's a post a few pages back of my JMG.I also have early call,ensign&star of yelta that I've not bothered to picture.
http://www.thegardenhelper.com/cgi-bin/ubb/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/15/2620.html?

And I can't leave out cypress vine cause it IS classed as a MG& will spend MORE time this year keeping it out of my burgmansias so they are not contorted.
don't fertilize.
I'm still waiting on my mina labota vine to bloom,but its 2 seeds are takeing their space nicely with my help& guideance.

Hey 'stonethegardner'!I grew up in TN.I like that their tree seedling with MG growing up it.I've done that before on purpose(lol) a mimosia& mulberry that grew together.I also did a string from the ground to the roof on corner of house last yr with noah orange MG (was even hurricane proof)

#62298 June 28th, 2006 at 06:13 AM
Njoynit, those are really some beautiful Morning Glories thumbup and I especially like 'rose'. smile Thanks for sharing them! muggs

#62299 July 1st, 2006 at 04:55 AM
OP Offline
Well i figured i would share some pictures with you to show you how far my patience has gotten me..hehehe..one is of my front yard..and one of my back..these are from last year, which it looks pretty much the same..if i get some more i'll post those later..enjoy..i know we do!! (oh yeah..we have our first hummingbird..yahoooooooooo)
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

#62300 July 1st, 2006 at 07:35 PM
Wow, I really like that spot in the back yard! Duh

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard