This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#62 June 20th, 2004 at 05:33 PM
W
Garden Gnome
OP Offline
Garden Gnome
W
[align:center]The further misadventures of Wild Willy, the Hillbilly Gardener Episode #15... Home Improvement A word of warning to anyone who has considered building their own Hummingbird House... [i]Such structures can have a strange addictive power over you! It all starts out with enjoying your morning coffee as the sun rises and the birds sing. Suddenly, you'll find yourself taking "short" breaks to enjoy the flowers and the Hummingbirds in your Living Room... That is where the trouble begins, because it's really hard to go back to work afterward... Sometimes you end up spending hours in there, especially when other forest critters join you. A few days ago, a young doe wandered in as I sat there, but when she noticed me sitting there, she decided to wander back out... but she spent 15 minutes grazing on the lawn a few feet away![/i] To make matters worse, you'll start to notice little imperfections that need fixing, places for new plants, and new additions you'd like to make.... The log bench on the west side was only functional if you wanted to sit completely upright, [i]and it wasn't very comfortable....[/i] I did a little digging under the bench supports to allow the seat to lean at a slight angle, then I found the [i]perfect[/i] log to use as a back rest. It took a bit of pondering to figure out how to appropriately support the 800 pound back rest, but I finally decided to cut a notch [i](to stabilize the log)[/i] into an old stump that I found nearby , moved it into place and somehow managed to raise the 12 foot log into position and get everything set at just the right angles..... With the new changes, four people can now lean back and comfortably enjoy the views! Log furniture I liked the entry area, but it lacked [i]something....[/i] I added a couple more burls, plants, and pieces of wood. [i]On the left side, I used a contorted piece of root as a trellis for one of my Passion flowers and I planted Cardinal flowers in the front, on each side.[/i] It still wasn't [i]quite right,[/i] so I decided that a small flagstone floor would be a nice addition. I dug down a few inches, added a sand base and set an assortment of flat rocks in place. Because of the irregular shapes of the rocks, each stone required removing or adding sand beneath it until the rock was seated and solidly in place. Hummingbird House entry To give the structure a more "homey" feeling, I created a couple Cedar planters for Fuchsias..... Cedar Fuchsia planter Cedar Fuchsia planter At the rear of the Hummer House, I originally had a Cedar log which was roughly cut to create a bench. It was functional, but certainly not comfortable... I removed the log and turned it into fence posts, [i]which in essence removed the back perimeter of the house and left a rotting stump in it's place.[/i] With a pick, shovel and saw I removed much of the rotted wood and created an elevated seating area which allows me to sit 30 inches higher than before and gave a new view of the entire room... [i]Once I added some hand crafted furniture and a little stone work, this area became a much nicer place to sit![/i] Raised seating area in the Hummingbird House What's next????? A water feature perhaps? Wind chimes? If I keep this obsession up, I'll probably be living in my Hummingbird House by the end of the summer, but I doubt that you'll hear any complaining if I do! The further misadventures of Wild Willy, the Hillbilly Gardener [/align]

Last edited by Gremelin; March 12th, 2020 at 08:27 PM.
#63 June 20th, 2004 at 11:41 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wonderful!!! Wish I were sitting there on that bench.....Water feature would be great......and if you are going to do windchimes I'd do bamboo ones so they blend in with the natural feel of your room......Very nice improvements..... thumbup

#64 June 21st, 2004 at 03:57 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child

#65 June 22nd, 2004 at 03:15 AM
Greenhouse Pixie
Greenhouse Pixie
omg bill! I love your place, and ideas! I wish i had the time and effort to do half of the stuff that you do around your place!

#66 June 22nd, 2004 at 10:34 PM
Wow! Your place is great!

#67 June 23rd, 2004 at 07:38 AM
Greenhouse Pixie
Greenhouse Pixie
Its so cool how you incorporate nature into nature so that things just look completely natural, but are quite useful to everyone smile I love the pots made out of trees, and the benches!

#68 June 24th, 2004 at 02:20 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
grinnnn

#69 June 30th, 2004 at 02:19 AM
It amazes me Bill, everytime I stop in here, and see what you've done to your place, it's just beautiful flw flw

#70 July 7th, 2004 at 08:46 PM
muggs

#71 July 8th, 2004 at 01:09 PM
Meg Offline
That is really beautiful. Yes, you could sit for a long time, just taking it all in. flw

Meg

#72 July 20th, 2004 at 04:49 PM
Hey Bill...you need to come to my house & build me a garden room like that!! That would be such a great escape from the kids..the hubby...the dog...yep, I definitly need you to come build me a room Bill lol thumbup Chrissy

#73 July 21st, 2004 at 08:46 PM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
Wild Willy thumbup

#74 August 24th, 2004 at 07:40 PM
After browsing the site and reading this one page, I had to go back and read all of the 15 episodes and was entranced. Your property and all you have done with it has created a magical wonderland of beauty that has me more relaxed than I have felt in ages. I was able to completely imagine myself sitting there with a cup of morning coffee and sharing the space with nature. Spectacular!

Triss

#75 March 9th, 2005 at 07:52 PM
We can all be thankful that just as miracles will never cease, nor will the sharing of your mahvalus' creations with us, Bill. wavey

#76 July 28th, 2005 at 12:10 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Thanks for fixing the pictures for us, Bill!

Link Copied to Clipboard