This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#61955 October 22nd, 2006 at 03:39 AM
N
OP Offline
N
I went to IKEA this week and found some red pots that go great with my livingroom. The pots are only 4inches. They are glass and don't have drainage holes. I've heard that putting rocks in the bottom will help airaight the roots and prevent the roots from sitting in the water and rotting. Does any one have any suggestions?

#61956 October 22nd, 2006 at 04:02 AM
How about planting in a plastic pot and just sitting it in the glass one? Personally, I wouldn't be too comfortable knowing that my plants couldn't drain if I accidentally overwatered them. (yes, that used to happen frequently...I've lost track of how many plants I used to kill that way!)

#61957 October 22nd, 2006 at 04:59 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally posted by myndful:
How about planting in a plastic pot and just sitting it in the glass one? Personally, I wouldn't be too comfortable knowing that my plants couldn't drain if I accidentally overwatered them. (yes, that used to happen frequently...I've lost track of how many plants I used to kill that way!)
you took my words exactly myndful. i much prefer to do that same thing!

#61958 October 22nd, 2006 at 06:29 AM
Right down to the overcare killing? p

#61959 October 22nd, 2006 at 06:37 AM
N
OP Offline
N
ok. I've tried the pot inside the pot and because they're glass pots I'd have to say that they're pretty ugly. If I'm careful with my watering will it be ok to not have drainage?

#61960 October 22nd, 2006 at 07:12 AM
What kind of plants are you putting in there?

I've seen things like philodendron and ivy grow beautifully in just water, with some pretty rocks or marbles...

I'm also wondering how it will look with soil showing through the glass.

BUT, if you're set on it, yes, I would put rocks in the bottom and be extremely careful about watering.

One thing I've done is to set small clay pots into the soil, with a cork in the drain hole, and add the water to that. The soil will take what it needs and the clay pot holds the rest. Not sure if you could find one small enough for a 4-inch pot, though.

This is a 6-inch pot with a 2.5/3-inch clay pot for water. [Linked Image]

#61961 October 22nd, 2006 at 07:49 AM
M
M
I drill holes in glazed ceramic pots with a ceramic drill bit from the lumber store. I often put extra holes in terra cotta pots, too. I've seen glass drill bits, but wouldn't want to try the first time on something I wanted. Maybe the bottom of a jelly jar. If your glass allows for a lot of light to pass through, you may get algea growth on the inside.

#61962 October 22nd, 2006 at 07:51 AM
Margaret, I was just going to post about ceramic drill bits, ya beat me to it ! thumbup flw

#61963 October 22nd, 2006 at 08:56 AM
Newtoplants,,, I have a couple of ceramic "fishbowl" pots with no drainage hole and I've been successful in using horticulture charcoal, by Schultz.
It not only absorbs excess water it encourages air circulation at root level and absorbs oders, salts, and other impurities from the soil,
I just put a layer in the bottom of pot before adding soil and have sometimes added it to the soil as well.

#61964 October 22nd, 2006 at 09:26 AM
N
OP Offline
N
Thank you everybody. I like the idea of the pot with the cork. And thank you also I never thought about algae growth. I think I'm going to have to rethink the glass pots. If I find pots without holes again I am definately going to use the charcoal.
Thank you everybody!!!!

Link Copied to Clipboard