This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#61893 October 2nd, 2006 at 02:14 PM
OP Offline
Hi,
I'm having a problem with my Ivy (I think it's English). It's a houseplant and it's dying. At first I thought that I wasn't watering it enough, so I've been spraying it every day or two...But it's getting worse! There's only a little bit of green left, the rest is dead. I don't know what to do. Any ideas?

#61894 October 2nd, 2006 at 04:08 PM
wavey This might help a little Duh ivy

#61895 October 2nd, 2006 at 06:41 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Kate,
You wouldn't happen to have a picture?

but if you don't, what kind of growing conditions do you have the plant in??

Type of soil it's in?
Size of pot/container?
Have you used any fertilizers?
~if so, what kind and how?
What kind of Lighting, direct sun, indirect??

#61896 October 2nd, 2006 at 11:45 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
welcome to the forum, kate!

i agree - a pic would be helpful!

you say that you're spraying the plant. that's good. are you also watering the soil? that's needed as well as the spraying.

#61897 October 3rd, 2006 at 12:47 AM
OP Offline
Thanks guys.
Unfortunately I don't have a pic. It was growing in a corner, not in direct sunlight. It started to turn brown on the side that was against the wall first, so I moved it. There's no place in my apt. that has access to direct sunlight. I've been putting it outside during the day, but it's getting worse. It's still growing (getting longer) but it's crunchy and grayish brown. It's still in the pot/soil that I bought it in. No one mentioned transplanting it. I've been watering it, but I'm not sure how much. Any suggestions?

#61898 October 6th, 2006 at 07:08 AM
Would it be Root bound/

When house plants get full of roots that will happen.

May need repotting.

dodge nutz

#61899 October 7th, 2006 at 05:04 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
if you haven't moved it out of the pot it came in and you've had it for more than a month, it's probably root bound.

you can tell for sure if you see roots growing out of the bottom drain holes. if the pot doens't have drain holes, turn it on it's side over a piece of newspaper and gently put a knife into the side of the pot just at the edge where the soil meets the pot - move the knife all the way around the edge of the pot to loosen the soil away and then gently tap the bottom of the pot so that the plant/soil come out. you can give a gentle tug on the base of the plant (where it comes out of the soil) to help it move out of the pot. if you see a ton of roots all around the outer areas of the soil, then it's root-bound and a bigger pot is in order.

gently break apart the bound roots, get some good soil and a larger pot and move it into the new digs.

it should bounce back just fine!

Link Copied to Clipboard