This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#60019 September 6th, 2006 at 01:23 AM
OP Offline
Hi ya'll wavey

I couldn't decide whether to start this thread here, or "plants and flowers" and as you can see, decided here since it is a seed question.

As I'm sure you have gathered, I'm new at "seeds". So I'm ot real sure how to gather them, from various flowers. Seems I may have a newfound hobby! flw

My question is - I have a hardy Hibiscus (potted)in my front courtyard (pink). I know the seeds are taken from the flower after it blooms, and dies. Not sure when to do this. I tried letting the dried bud fall to ground, but I really didn't see a seed inside.

Here are several pics of the dried flower remains.

[Linked Image]

Here's another pic in the drying stage. Should I pick it at this point? :rolleyes:

[Linked Image]

Stephanine, in the first picture it's too early to pick the seed pod, but in the second picture the seed pods look dry and brown so that would be the time to pick the pod. wink I've found if you wait until the seed pod falls to the ground there's a good chance you'll lose the seeds, frown so you need to remove it after it has dried and turned brown, but before it falls to the ground.

Stephanie, do you know the name of your hardy Hibiscus? Duh Are you sure it is a hardy Hibiscus? Duh Maybe it's just your camera or the lighting but the leaves on your Hibiscus appear to be very shiny and I'm used to the leaves of the hardy Hibiscus being more dull in color. I thought the leaves on yours looked more like a Tropical Hibiscus, but I really can't say for sure! Duh

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Stephanie,
I typically wait until the pods are brown and actually starting to open (It's easier to get the seeds and I know they are definetely ready). I agree with patches...Are you certain your hibiscus is a hardy and not tropical? The pods look a bit different too. I have one tropical that is good to like 20 degrees, so it's possible that you have one that will survive the winters.

OP Offline
Hi patches1414 wavey
I picked the seeds pods since this post, they have dried and discovered these seeds are VERY small if at all. wavey
thanks for your input as well!

Can someone be kind enough to post pictures of hardy hibiscus, tropical hibiscus and perennial hibiscus? flw

Stephanie, my hardy Hibiscus seeds are always a pretty decent size and you can certainly see them! wink Geesh, I can even see them without my glasses! laugh laugh laugh

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Here are a few pictures of mine.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I can take a pic of the tropical too, if you want.

Stephaine, here's some pictures of two of my hardy Hibiscus, 'Kopper King' and 'Blue River II'.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

OP Offline
Hey patches1414 wavey
Yeah, I don't hink I have hardy hibiscus either. frown

tcmers, wavey
Okay,, your 2 pics of your hibiscus, are hardy or perennial? :rolleyes: Yes, I would like to see a pic of your tropical hibiscus.

patches,
wow, those 2 hardy hibiscus flw are very pretty. I can see that the leaves are not shiney. So, shiney denotes tropical?

I can see that the leaves are not shiney. So, shiney denotes tropical?
Thanks, Staphanie! kissies Yes, in my experience I've found the hardy hibisucs leaves to be very dull, while the tropical hibiscus leaves seem smoother and more shiney looking. wink

#60028 September 11th, 2006 at 04:07 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi again. Here's a picture of my tropical Hibiscus. I wish it would have been in bloom. It's really quite beautiful. When I bought it, it had yellow single blooms on it, but after I planted it, and it started blooming again, I noticed it also gets red double blooms on it....It's really cool to see two different flowers of contrasting colors on the same plant. At first I thought I had two plants in the same pot, but that's not the case. It is definitely the same plant.
[Linked Image]

#60029 September 11th, 2006 at 01:49 PM
Tcmers, boy, that's really a healthy looking plant and it's bushed out nicely. Duh If it's a Tropical Hibiscus, I don't think it's going to survive your Indiana winters. frown What zone are you in? Duh I didn't think there was any zone in Indiana that would be warm enough to support a Tropical Hibiscus over the winter!

#60030 September 11th, 2006 at 11:13 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The tag on it says that it can live down to 30 degrees (thought it said 20 degrees, but was wrong.) I'm wondering if I should try to mulch it well and see how it does...It's had a pretty good start so the roots should be well established. I'm in zone 5 so I'm not certain how well it will do with just mulching. I may bring it into the garage. I have a brug that has to come in too....My house is going to be full again! lol!

#60031 September 11th, 2006 at 11:59 PM
OP Offline
Hi wavey tcmers
Thanks for showing your tropical hibiscus. Sounds like a really cool plant, with red double blooms and single yellows. Wow! I would hate to hear that you loose your plant during winter.

I have several potted tropicals (now I know wink ) hibiscus in my garden. Of course I live in zone 9 so we don't see hard freezes. Last winter we did not even see one freeeze! luv Who knows what this winter will bring though. I've noticed milder winters down in ole New Orleans area! I cover when the temps go below 28 degrees, and cut stems back. Good luck! Let us know what you decide.

#60032 September 12th, 2006 at 12:37 AM
Tcmers, I'm in zone 6a here near St. Louis and I know the tropical hibiscus just won't survive our winters. frown We still get some pretty hard freezes here. wink

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
flw

Link Copied to Clipboard