This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#59378 September 18th, 2006 at 11:12 PM
mrw Offline OP
OP Offline
Is it the right time to harvest basil seeds?
they are moist and white in color right now. Will they eventually dry if I leave them on the plant? I am afraid to leave them too long, in case there is a frost. I have never grown basil from seed but the one plant I have has grown so well I want to try to duplicate it for next year. I have so much basil it is amazing. I use it almost every day and have made (and frozen) pesto for the winter.

#59379 September 19th, 2006 at 12:46 AM
If they're still in flower at all, it's a little too early to gather the seeds.
[Linked Image]
Even if the color is starting to fade, I don't think the seeds are done forming or whatever it is they need to do before they would naturally fall from the pods.

Wait until the little pods are brown (& fairly dry, although they still might feel a bit moist) before you harvest them.
[Linked Image]

I'm glad to hear that you had a good crop this year! grinnnn ... The smell of fresh Basil can't be beat, & I can't imagine having a garden without it!

Oh... If you find a way to smish the teeny-weenie seeds out of the itty-bitty dried hulls without grinding the prints off your fingertips, please let me know! Every year my fingers get sooo sore from separating the seeds out while I prepare seed packets to send to other people, & I'm really thinking about just filling the packets all the way full with the hulls, so they can get the seeds out, themselves!

Good luck with your harvest, & don't be too impatient, because frost won't hurt them. [Linked Image]

#59380 September 21st, 2006 at 08:15 AM
when the seeds are ready to harvest you'll be able to slide your hand up and down the stalk and the seeds will just come off in your hand. They'll look dry and brown, not very pretty :-)

If you plant them early enough in the spring next year you can get two crops of basil in one season if you do like I did this year and not keep the flowers cut down. The seeds dropped into the same pot on my deck that the plants were in (not to mention several pots nearby!)and now I have a second round of basil going strong.

So if you don't want basil seedlings popping up all over the place keep a close eye on the seeds as they dry out and gather them before they reseed themselves ;-)

#59381 September 21st, 2006 at 08:21 AM
@Patty... I don't understand the part you mentioned about picking the tiny seeds out of the hull...?

I just plant what comes directly from the basil stem. Have you tried that? You may be giving yourself sore fingers for no reason :-/

#59382 September 21st, 2006 at 07:23 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
with the cinnamon basil there are about 4 seeds in each pod so I do seperate them out. And it is tedious work to do. The seeds are just sticky enough that they do not want to come out. I too am waiting patiently for the last basil plant to finish blooming so I can get to the seeds.

#59383 September 22nd, 2006 at 01:52 AM
mrw Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you all for your help! wavey

Link Copied to Clipboard