This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#59237 October 26th, 2006 at 04:36 AM
L
OP Offline
L
It is a sunny day here in Chicago but it is cold outside! We are sad to see the warm season pass into the winter season. We have retrieved 2 Platcisomus (algae eaters) We cannot find our third one that is about 12 inches in length. I would like to know if anyone has had a Platcismus make it through a zone 5 area. Our pond is 3 feet deep and we keep a floating heater that goes on when it goes to 40 degrees.

#59238 October 27th, 2006 at 06:48 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Hi Lorraine,
Welcome Aboard, we're glad you found us..

Just so you know, I'm going to move your post into the WATER GARDENS' SECTION...
I think you may get a few more answers for your post/question into there alot better.... thumbup thumbup

#59239 October 27th, 2006 at 10:18 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
lorraine, welcome to the garden helper. i think, if you have a heater that keeps the pond at 40 or above, your fish should make it through the winter.

i haven't done that as i live in the south, but i know mine made it through several nights below 30, i just had the pump running so the water didn't freeze.

i'm sure that some will check in soon and let you know.

#59240 October 27th, 2006 at 11:33 PM
L
OP Offline
L
Thank you for moving my message to the appropriate area. You have been very helpful.
I would like to say we have Koi and Goldfish in our pond that have made it through 2 winters so far. Our algae eater though is a tropical fish and should be removed. That is why I was concerned. Everyday, we look for the Placicamus. My husband even took a flashlight out the other night to look for it. We are so happy that we did find 2 of them.
You may check out the photo section on my website: www.lorrainedeneen.com

#59241 October 27th, 2006 at 11:39 PM
L
OP Offline
L
Weezie, I just checked out your photo bucket website. I loved your pictures. Would you like to link my site www.lorrainedeneen.com to yours and visa versa? I am looking for ways to increase my website hits.

Link Copied to Clipboard