This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#5919 July 17th, 2005 at 04:30 PM
F
OP Offline
F
Are you tired of the BORING spaghetti sauce that you buy at the store in a jar? Yeah, i know- it's quick and it's easy- it's no fun coming home to cook after working all day. Here is an easy and inexpensive spaghetti sauce you can make. Takes just a few minutes to prepare and you can let your crock pot do the rest....

2 lbs ground beef
1 large green pepper
1 large onion
1 (13 oz) pkg pepperoni or 8 oz italian sausage cut up
1 (4.5oz) can mushrooms - if u like mushrooms, add as much as u like!
44 oz tomato sauce
1/2 cup ketchup
1 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper

Brown ground beef; drain fat
Add green pepper, onion, pepperoni/ sausage to ground beef.
Add mushrooms, tomato sauce, and ketchup.
Sprinkle salt, pepper, oregano, and garlic salt on top and mix all ingredients together.

I use a crock pot and let it cook on low for 5 or 6 hours, but using a large sauce pan and letting it cook slowly for 2.5 to 3 hours will do the same thing.
Cooking slowly allows all the spices and pepperoni/ sausage to mix in with the beef and give a fantastic flavor!

#5920 September 5th, 2005 at 11:36 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
You know, I meant to post to this,
I must have gotten sidetracked..

That sounds incredible easy to make..
And for the fall/winter time coming up
easy to do in the crock pot...

The Pepperoni sounds like a really neat
extra additive and taste to a sauce....

Thanks for thumbup posting crit this one Bob!!!

#5921 September 14th, 2005 at 10:39 AM
F
OP Offline
F
Yes, this was the best spaghetti sauce recipe that i've tried so far (but i'm sure there are a "million" others!). I especially like it because it's quick and easy.
When i do spaghetti, i also like to make homemade rolls, but that usually requires a bit more effort and time!

#5922 September 14th, 2005 at 06:09 PM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
I haven't ever tried peperoni in spaghetti...does sound good! I always throw some Italian sauage in it. I haven't ever bought a jar of ready made sauce, but I'm just goofy like that!

#5923 September 15th, 2005 at 05:58 AM
F
OP Offline
F
To me, "ready-made sauce" tastes "gross" compared to the real thing, but i guess it's sometimes necessary if you have a tight schedule and need something quick when you get home.

#5924 September 15th, 2005 at 06:29 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I made up my own recipe for spaghetti sauce
and that's the main one we eat...

But every once in a while, I like a change..
and I do buy Ragu *Tradional*........

But what I do is, strain out the chunks...
and then doctor it up a bit, with some
black pepper, garlic powder, spices, etc........

Cause it's quick and fast to do,
if we're in the mood for s'ghetti
and not in the mood for all that extra
cookin'!!!

But the pepperoni does sound different...

#5925 September 15th, 2005 at 07:17 AM
F
OP Offline
F
I agree with u Weezie about cooking.. It's just like building, sometimes u can use your imagination and create things or just make slight changes. It's all about developing something that is pleasing to u or to those around u! Yeah, sure u can screw up once in a while, but that's part of the fun!!! thumbup

#5926 September 26th, 2005 at 03:20 AM
LMT Offline
I agree completely. Two things I've been able to make well (indoors) for years and years is beef stew and beef and noodles. They start with the same base process. One ends up in a bowl with potatoes and carrots and the other goes on a plate with noodles and mushrooms. I could, but haven't yet, use it on top of rice. Like green? add peas, beans, zucchini and/or broccoli.

I've finally found a spaghetti sauce I can make quick and easy. Basicly, boil and peel some roma tomatoes. Start some oil in a pan, toss in some garlic. When you can smell the garlic, toss in the chopped pealed tomatoes and simmer for a bit. Add tomato paste then water as needed. You can tweek it out from there but you get a rich and fresh tomato taste very quickly.

I've never made spaghetti with meat in it before.

Link Copied to Clipboard