This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#586 March 26th, 2004 at 11:18 PM
W
Garden Gnome
OP Offline
Garden Gnome
W
The further misadventures of Wild Willy, the Hillbilly Gardener
The Scavenger Hunt, Part 2

Never tell me that something is impossible
Much like the ant who was so determined to move that rubber tree, I was determined to somehow use that ancient growth log in the repairs of my arbor...
Both ends of the log were buried in dirt and rock, but there was an eighteen foot span that was elevated above the ground and accessible.

I contemplated using sledges and wedges to split the log into segments which could be moved by hand, but with that method, there is always the chance of creating unusable lumber because of flaws and defects in the log.
I decided instead, to try something I hadn't done before... cut an eighteen foot straight line with my chainsaw. I created a line using 2x4s nailed to the log, and slowly began to make progressively deeper cuts into the log. Once I had the cut completely through the log, I cut it to length at 18 feet.
With a bit of effort, I got the two half logs up to my project site where I made additional slices to turn them into several 8 inch by 8 inch beams.

Sliced log8x8 beams

A few more days of scavenging resulted in the entire area being covered with logs, limbs, trees, burls and assorted other goodies that caught my eye.

But.... I still had no idea of what I would use it all for.

Two of the beams which were cut from the outside of the log had a natural, slight curve along one edge which reminded me of an old arched window, so I figured it was a good place to start.
I cut a third beam in half, and set them and one of my collected Cedar logs in a straight line which followed the alignment of the Clematis and Honeysuckle plants which were growing there.
The posts were set in three foot deep holes, leveled, then I poured concrete in and let it set for 24 hours... I cut the corner post to a height that felt right, then used a laser level from that point to cut all subsequent posts to the appropriate height. I cut notches into the beams so that the structure would "lock" together for additional strength.
Yep... just like good ol' Lincoln Logs!

Northeast wall8x8 beams

It takes slightly BIGGER than average nails and screws to make slightly bigger than average things ya know.......

Big Nails

To be continued......

The further misadventures of Wild Willy, the Hillbilly Gardener

Last edited by Gremelin; March 12th, 2020 at 08:29 PM.
#587 March 27th, 2004 at 03:47 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
looking good! i wish i had some logs i could cut up like that. all i have are pine trees.... as far as the eye can see!

#588 March 28th, 2004 at 03:20 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Could you haved "pegged it" Bill, like the old post and beam construction?

#589 March 28th, 2004 at 03:34 PM
B
The Garden Helper
The Garden Helper
B
I considered pegging it together for authenticity, but since I have no plan at all, and still haven't even figured out what it is, I just used 12 inch spikes and my 25 pound hammer.
It'll never fall down in an ice storm again!!!
:rolleyes:

#590 March 28th, 2004 at 03:54 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Wow!!
That's HUGE!!!!
That looks awesome so far!!
I see that huge flower/vine just waiting
to get up there!! I bet that it will be spectacular very soon!!
We want pictures of all the flowers when you're done!!! thumbup cool grinnnn

#591 March 31st, 2004 at 02:11 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
MUS-CULES
laugh You Bet Weezie, I used to work assembling log homes and it takes alot of Hammer, and a good strong arm, BUT, that was 25 years ago, don't know how long I would last now! Duh

#592 March 31st, 2004 at 04:31 AM
A
A
laugh Wild Willy, can fit under a toad stool and build a stool with his toes! He must have some pretty big mus-cules to be less then a foot tall and get those huge beems across standing on top the post! What ever it is it's coming along nicely. thumbup

#593 March 9th, 2005 at 06:52 PM
Those sure are some huge nails ya' got there, Willy! wavey

Link Copied to Clipboard