This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#58294 October 2nd, 2006 at 02:23 AM
A
art Offline OP
OP Offline
A
[Icon 1] posted September 29, 2006 07:25 A
PAR Gardener
sorry i'm so late to respond.the tree that had the
400 avocados is the father to the one in the photo
and is about 1foot taller.the one in the photo gave
me about 39 avocados.but it's about 4 yrs old.it was in a tub until feb of this year.i just picked the last 2 avocados last week.the trunk has been painted white with latex paint to prevent sun burn.i will send a photo of the tree that had the 400 avocados as soon as i develop them.send me a photo of yours.

bbbbbbbbb
art

#58295 October 3rd, 2006 at 08:39 AM
P
P
Art,

All my avocado trees are less than a year old. I'll post a picture soon. Since I just potted them up this year, they never made it outside. I'm encouraged by your reports of getting avocados on 4 year old trees. It'll probably take longer here in zone 5, but it'll be an adventure. I'm amazed at how much my "oldest" avocado has grown in just a few short months.

My success with sprouting avocado pits has given me the courage to try to sprout mango pits, again. None of my mango sprouts are potted up yet, but I'm hopeful. At least the seeds are alive, and there are signs of growth. I'll take pictures of those too when I take pictures of the avocado sprouts.

Dennis

#58296 October 4th, 2006 at 03:21 AM
A
art Offline OP
OP Offline
A
PAR Gardener,
if you are doing mangos, use the seed from Manila mangos.these will fruit in about 2 years and the trees are small.i have one thats 3 feet tall and it
has had fruit the last 2 years.the tree is 3 yrs old.
so far none of the fruit has matured on the tree, but i'm still hopeful.i'll send a photo later.i'm anxious to see your avocado photos.

#58297 October 6th, 2006 at 07:16 PM
P
P
Art,

Here are a few pictures of the avocado pits that I've potted up. They're among some pineapple plants.

[Linked Image]
My oldest avocado tree, on the right, that is less than a year old.

[Linked Image]
Oldest tree from a different angle, and a pineapple plant still in water that I need to pot up.

[Linked Image]
Two newer avocado plants.

#58298 October 7th, 2006 at 08:22 AM
A
art Offline OP
OP Offline
A
PAR Gardener
here is the photo i promised you that had the 400 avocados,i would say,the tree is now a little over 6 ft tall.i received the photos of your avocados.i will comment on them tomorrow.

[Linked Image]

#58299 October 8th, 2006 at 04:03 AM
A
art Offline OP
OP Offline
A
PAR Gardener,
your avocados are looking good.a few guesses and suggestions.your tall tree should be cut about 5 leaves from the top.this will force the growth to
the roots which trees need badly. i noticed the leaves are drooping slightly could be lack of water
or roots. the small tree should be cut just above the fifth leaf from the top.the tree with the dry leaves could be lack of water or fertilizer
burn.at this stage they really don't need it.if it's sunny out they would love a little sun.but not if it's freezing out.give them as much lite as possible.Good luck and keep us posted.

#58300 October 17th, 2006 at 11:50 AM
P
P
Art,

I was wondering if you knew if the avocados were self pollinating, or if they needed another tree to pollinate. I know that I'm years away from blossoms, but I'm running low on space, so I need to know if I should keep at least two of my seedlings, or if I can give the extras away.

Thanks,
Dennis

#58301 October 17th, 2006 at 09:57 PM
F
F
Hi, what kind of avocado is that? is that a Holiday? or a Don Gillogly? what variety is it? It looks so small to have so many avocadoes. They say Don Gillogly has two crops a year

#58302 October 21st, 2006 at 01:44 AM
A
art Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Flahunter,
the tree is a Gwen. its a semi dwarf Hass variety.
it is a prolific producer, and has oval fruit a little larger than regular Hass. i have two trees ,both under 7feet tall and i keep them low. i too looked at the tree and wondered how it could bear so much fruit.

#58303 October 21st, 2006 at 03:12 AM
A
art Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Dennis,
most avocado trees are self fruitful. if you are
cosidering waiting for your seedling to bear fruit,
remember,seedlings take 10 to 15 years to fruit.
if you buy a grafted avocado you should have fruit in one year.in your are you would have to keep one in a container or a greenhouse so that you can bring it in during freezing weather.

#58304 October 21st, 2006 at 04:32 AM
Art ! That's the tree I was talking about, that I'm thinking of getting, the Don Gillogly. I couldn't recall the name of it.
What's your opinion of that variety? Of what you've read, I mean?
Park's said that it has a Hass parent and tastes like a Hass. I hope so - in my opinion Hass is THE avocado for flavor and consistency.

#58305 October 21st, 2006 at 06:12 AM
A
art Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Deborah L,
i have seen both good and bad reports on Gillogly
avocado trees. mainly i have seen reports that they don't have 2 crops a year.if they have one good crop a year,you should have enough avocados for a full year.remember,avocados don't ripen until after you pick them.you can leave them on the tree more than a full year.by then your new crop will be coming in.
zone 10 so. ca. should be great for avocados.there
should be nurseries near you that carry them.go to this site {CRFG} for info on avocados.scroll down, you will find a lot of info. Good Luck.

#58306 October 21st, 2006 at 06:39 AM
OK ! Thanks !
I didn't realize that the fruit can be left on the tree for so long !
Thanks for the website too, I'll have a look at it.
It's OK to just call me Deborah, the "L" is just the initial for my last name.

#58307 October 21st, 2006 at 08:31 AM
F
F
Hi, I just got a Don Gillogly avocado from Wayside gardens,they had to send me another plant,for the plant I got was not grafted,the graft had not taken and the plant grew from the side,( seedling) be careful and look at the graft when you get it,if it's not grafted the plant is worthless and they are very expensive. Looks like it's going to be a couple of years before I can report on results on this variety. Sergio

#58308 October 21st, 2006 at 10:37 AM
Wow, thanks for the heads-up ! I'll be careful !

Link Copied to Clipboard