This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#5778 April 12th, 2004 at 01:30 AM
Official Problem Child
OP Offline
Official Problem Child
Anyone got any good crock pot recipes?

I like loading the crock pot in the morning and forgetting about it until it's time for supper...
then, PRESTO!!! You come in from working in the garden and supper is ready! My usual is a roast, potatoes, carrots with a can of golden mushroom soup poured over it, and let it cook all day. I'd like something different every now and then, though! Appreciate any recipes you have.

#5779 April 12th, 2004 at 02:45 AM
Here's a really easy soup recipe that everyone seems to like.

Salsa Soup

1 22 oz jar chunky salsa-mild, medium or hot
2 15 oz cans whole kernal corn
2 15 oz cans pinto beans
1 12.5 oz can chicken breast chunks

Do not drain anything! Put all ingredients in a 6 quart crock pot and stir together(ingedients may be halved for a smaller crock pot). Cook on low for 4 to 6 hours or on high for 2 to 3 hours. Serve with shredded cheese on top of each serving.

This is good with corn bread! Left overs are good over a baked potatoe.

#5780 April 12th, 2004 at 03:50 AM
Official Problem Child
OP Offline
Official Problem Child
Oh, yeah!!!
That is TOO easy!!! It sounds delicious!
Thank you!!!
This is what I want...BRING IT ON!!!

#5781 April 12th, 2004 at 01:57 PM
Don't get me started! I love to cook and share recipes! thumbup

#5782 April 12th, 2004 at 02:06 PM
How about a quick dessert to go with those crock pot recipes?

Chocolate Cherry Cake

1 devils food cake mix
3 eggs
1 can cherry pie filling

Dump dry cake mix into bowl. Add 3 eggs. Add cherry pie filling. Mix gently by hand until well blended. Pour into greased 9X11 pan. Bake at 350* for 35 to 40 minutes or until middle springs back when lightly touched with finger. That's all, honest!
Serve with cool whip for an extra treat or eat plain like a brownie.

#5783 April 13th, 2004 at 03:26 AM
I like to make chili in the crock. I fry green peppers and onions up in a large skillet until they are transparent, then I add ground beef...usually about 2 pounds or so. When that is all cooked up, I throw that into the crock. Then I add a jar of medium Tostitos salsa, a can of crushed tomatoes, a can of tomato puree (or I just get a can of plum tomatoes and puree them in the Cuisenart). I add a can of water and then some BBQ sauce. And then a bunch of chili powder.....about 1/4 cup. Most of the stuff I add doesn't have a measurment, I just kind of taste it as I go. Then I just set the crock on the 6 or 8 hour setting (I have a Rival and it adjusts it's temperature to how long you want it to cook....I guess the 8 hour is the lowest heat setting and the 6 hour is a med-low setting). I usually serve the chili with hard crust rolls or bread bowls. It doesn't take long to cook all of the stuff and if you wanted to, you could fry everything up and refrigerate it until the next morning. I have a 6 quart crock and it fills the entire thing up, so you'd have to adjust the quantities for a smaller crock. And it freezes wonderfully. thumbup

#5784 April 13th, 2004 at 04:00 AM
Crock-Pot Broccoli Rice and Chicken

2 pounds boneless chicken breasts cut in strips
1 1/4 cups uncooked converted rice
1 package Knorr's Cream of Broccoli Soup Mix
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
pepper, to taste

Place rice in a lightly greased slow cooker/Crock Pot. Sprinkle with parsley and pepper. Top with chicken pieces. Mix together the soup mix and broth. Pour over chicken and rice. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.

#5785 April 13th, 2004 at 04:04 AM
Crock-Pot Meatloaf

2 pounds hamburger
2 eggs
2 slices bread, in small cubes or 3/4 cup crushed crackers
Milk
Ketchup
Salt and pepper
1 small onion, chopped

Beat eggs - add bread cubes/crackers. Add enough milk to moisten. Add hamburger....squeeze all ingredients together with your hands. Season to taste. Place in slow cooker/Crock Pot....shape to fit, flatten. Pour catsup on top (enough to cover completely)(my husband & kids like it with sweet & sour sauce instead of the catsup). Cook on low all day 8 - 12 hours.

#5786 April 13th, 2004 at 06:09 AM
Official Problem Child
OP Offline
Official Problem Child
YES!!!

Today I went grocery shopping, which I hate to do because I can't stand to leave the house. I bought the kielbasa, and the stuff for the salsa soup. Then I get home and there are more recipes for me!!! I already have the stuff for the meatloaf and chili. I will never turn my oven on again! (I had heard you could make meatloaf in a crock pot, but hadn't actually talked to anyone who had tried it.)

Just so you know, I am going to try every recipe that ends up here.
(Unless, of course, someone tries to be a smart a** and puts a recipe for p**p soup just so I'll make it!!! laugh laugh laugh )

#5787 April 13th, 2004 at 12:45 PM
I love crock-pot recipes too & I have a huge book full of them...I think I have even tried all of them too:) I hate having to rush indoors from the garden & make dinner right when I am in the middle of working on something. My husband gets so mad when he gets home from work & I haven't made a "good" meal. He refuses to eat sandwiches & chips or any throw together in minutes meals. So my crock-pot gets LOTS of use lol:) Makes him think I have slaved all day over his delicious dinner & I get to stay in the garden as long as I like;) Here's one of my favorites:

CROCK POT POTATO SOUP

5-6 potatoes, peeled and diced
1 onion, chopped
4 chicken bouillon cubes
1 tbs. parsley flakes
5 c. water
1 tbs. salt
pepper
1/4-1/3 c. butter
1 (13 oz.) can evaporated milk

Put all ingredients in crock-pot except for the evaporated milk. Cook on HIGH for about 8 hours or until potatoes are tender. Check every couple of hours. During last hour turn down to LOW add milk. Leave on LOW or turn OFF until ready to serve. I like to add dumplings to mine right at the end too.

Easy dumplings:

2 cups Jiffy Buttermilk Biscuit Mix
2/3 cup milk

Mix together biscuit mix and milk, stirring to absorb all dry mixture. Drop large spoonfuls onto top of hot soup. Work quickly until all the dumplings are in the pot in a single layer. Cover tightly and immediately reduce the heat to LOW. Do NOT open the lid for 15 minutes. Serve immediately

#5788 April 13th, 2004 at 04:30 PM
Official Problem Child
OP Offline
Official Problem Child
I make potato soup a lot, never even thought about making it in the crock pot! Never thought about adding dumplings. That sounds delicious! (Sometimes I add a can of baby clams and *PRESTO*! Clam chowder!)
From now on potato soup will be from the crock pot! That's an extra hour and a half in the garden!

#5789 April 14th, 2004 at 01:26 PM
CROCK-POT BAVARIAN POT ROAST

3 to 4 lbs pot roast
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
3 whole cloves
4 medium apples -- cored and quartered
1 small onion -- sliced
1/2 cup apple juice or water
3 tablespoons flour (up to 4 tbs.)
3 tablespoons water (up to 4 tbs.)

Rinse roast and trim off excess fat. Lightly rub top of meat with oil. Dust with salt, pepper, and ginger. Insert cloves in roast. Place apples and onions in Crock-Pot and top with roast (cut roast in half, if necessary to fit in crock). Pour in apple juice. Cover and cook on Low for 10 to 12 hours or on High for 5 to 6 hours. Remove roast and apples to serving dish. Turn Crock-Pot to High setting. Make a smooth paste of the flour and water; stir into Crock-Pot. Cover and cook until thickend for gravy.

#5790 April 14th, 2004 at 01:28 PM
(These are delicious)

CROCK-POT CABBAGE ROLLS

12 large cabbage leaves
1 pound lean ground beef or lamb
1/2 cup cooked rice
1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
3/4 cup water
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. leaf thyme
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. cinnamon

Wash cabbage leaves. Boil 4 cups water. Turn off heat. Soak leaves in water for 5 minutes. Remove, drain and cool. Combine ground meat; rice, salt, pepper, thyme, nutmeg and cinnamon. Place 2 tablespoons meat mixture on each leaf and roll firmly. Stack in electric slow cooker. Combine tomato paste and water; pour over stuffed cabbage. Cover. Cook on low setting for 8-10 hours.

#5791 April 14th, 2004 at 01:30 PM
CROCK-POT BARBEQUE CHICKEN

1 frying chicken , cut up
1 can tomato soup, condensed
3/4 cup onion, chopped
1/4 cup vinegar
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. sweet basil
1/4 tsp. thyme

Place chicken in crock-pot. Combine all other ingredients and pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.

My daughter says this one is her favorite:)

#5792 April 20th, 2004 at 04:14 PM
I love my crock pot too, its almost a life saver with my crazy hours. I bought a couple of crockpot recipe books that I just love and everything I've tried have come out really good. So whatever meat I have thawed, I just look up different recipes to use. So if your looking for more specific recipes, let me know and I'll look in one of my books and get a recipe back to you.

#5793 April 20th, 2004 at 05:05 PM
Official Problem Child
OP Offline
Official Problem Child
Thanks, shamarian. I'll remember that! I have some crock pot recipes and cookbooks, but they have been in storage for a few years, due to divorce and the moving that goes along with that! Doubt if I'll see them anytime soon, since I move in and out of Andy's house about twice a year, so it's a lot easier to just keep everything packed up all the time. (Not much of a life when your things are always packed up. Maybe that's why I stay in the yard all the time...it eases stress!)
I've tried several of the recipes I've gotten here already. Today I was going to make the meatloaf, but I gave the hamburger to my daughter yesterday so she wouldn't have to stop at the store on her way home from working all day. So, today it's the salsa soup!!!

#5794 April 21st, 2004 at 06:23 AM
Official Problem Child
OP Offline
Official Problem Child
HarleyGal...
That Salsa Soup ROCKED!!!

I ended up with unexpected company tonight, and everyone loved it!

Everyone should try this one. It literally took me less than one minute to open and dump the cans of stuff into the crock pot, and then I just forgot about it all day. Delicious!!!
TOO EASY!!! thumbup

#5795 April 23rd, 2004 at 05:43 AM
Cindy, I forgot to tell you about this site I found that sends me new crock recipes and healthful living tips twice a week, might wanna check it out, ChetDays DayZines.com. I'm not certain of the exact address, just do a search. Just a little bitty sight but good recipes, real varied.

#5796 April 24th, 2004 at 02:02 AM
Crock-Pot Hungarian Goulash

Ingredients:
2 pounds round steak - cut 1/2 inch cubes
1 cup onion - chopped
1 clove garlic - minced
2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 bay leaf
1 14.5 oz can tomatoes
1 cup sour cream

Directions:
Put steak cubes, onion, garlic in crock-pot. Stir in flour and mix to coat steak. Add all remaining ingredients except sour cream. Stir well and cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 3-4 hours. Add sour cream 30 minutes before serving and stir thoroughly. Serve over hot buttered noodles.

#5797 April 24th, 2004 at 02:07 AM
Cowboy Crockpot Stew

Ingredients:
1 sm pkg stew meat
1 pkg sausage or keilbasa
1 med onion chopped
3 med potatoes chopped
1 can baked beans of your choice

Directions:
Place the ingredients into crockpot in the order shown. Cover and cook 4 hrs on high or 8 hrs on low.

Serve with cornbread or rolls.

Prep time: 10 minutes

Serves 6 to 8.

#5798 April 24th, 2004 at 02:11 AM
Crock Pot Italian Beef

*makes great next day sandwiches too especially served on Italian bread*

Ingredients:
1 Rump roast 3-5 lbs
1 pkg Good Seasons Italian Dressing Mix
1 c water
1 pkg au jus gravy packet
2 tsps Italian seasoning
6 pepperocini peppers

Directions:
Mix together water, gravy mix, dressing and Italian seasoning. Pour over roast in crock-pot. Add peppers, if desired.

Cook on LOW about 3 hours. Break up roast and cook 1 hour more on HIGH.

#5799 April 24th, 2004 at 04:23 AM
Official Problem Child
OP Offline
Official Problem Child
Thanks so much for all these recipes. Ever since I posted this I have cooked supper every night in the crock pot! I wasn't kidding when I said I would try them all, and it is so nice to have a different meal every night, instead of the usual "some kind of meat" and mashed potatoes! (Andy is VERY thankful!)
I have been under the weather, so to speak, for a week or so and haven't felt much like standing at the stove for hours cooking, so these couldn't have come at a better time for me.
Thank you all so much, and keep 'em comin'!

#5800 April 24th, 2004 at 06:54 AM
Chinese Crockpot Dinner
1 1/2 lb. pork steak (cut into 1/2" strips)
1 lg. onion, sliced
1 sm. green pepper, sliced
8 oz. sliced fresh mushrooms
1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
4 carrots, sliced
3 tbsp. brown sugar
1 1/2 tbsp. vinegar
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

Brown pork strips in small amount of oil in skillet. Remove & strain excess fat. Place all ingredients with pork in crockpot and cook on low 6-8 hours. Serve with rice.

#5801 April 24th, 2004 at 06:57 AM
Crockpot Chicken Enchiladas

1 lg. can enchilada sauce
4 chicken breasts
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 small can sliced black olives
2 dozen corn tortillas
1 chopped onion
1 pkg. sharp Cheddar cheese, grated

Cook (boil) chicken and shred. Mix soup, olives and onions. Cut tortillas in wedges. Layer crock-pot with sauce, tortillas, soup mix, chicken and cheese all the way to top, ending with cheese on top. Cook on low for 8 hours.

#5802 April 24th, 2004 at 06:59 AM
Hamburger & potato Pot

1 1/2 lb. hamburg
1 lg. clove garlic
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. thyme
6 med. potatoes
2 lg. onions
1 can mushroom soup (10 3/4 oz.)
1/2 c. water

Cook beef and garlic in skillet until lightly browned. Stir in pepper and thyme. Peel and slice potatoes and onions. Put 1/2 potatoes and onions into buttered crockpot. Add browned beef and top with remaining potatoes and onions. Mix mushroom soup with water and spread over top of contents. Cover. Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard