This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#57629 June 7th, 2006 at 10:59 AM
Official Problem Child
OP Offline
Official Problem Child
I hated to post this topic, because I didn't want anyone to see the shape my pond has gotten in. But, Gardencrazy is helping me out in PM's, and I figured it would be better to just post this topic because others may have the same problem, and they can learn from my mistakes.

Here is how the pond looked in the fall, and it was clear all winter...
...until it started getting warm outside.
[Linked Image]

Now it is over-run with algae. :rolleyes:
A few weeks ago I changed 3/4 of the water in it, but within a few days it was worse than ever.
The water looks like pea soup. and there's a weird algae thing floating on top.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Since this algae problem, I have started cleaning my filter every few days...and even added a homemade filter made from fiberfill, nylon netting and a trash can.

Homemade ugly filter
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
You can see how much yucky stuff is being filtered out with this fiberfill stuff.
I have a 675gph pump for this filter, pumping the pond water directly into the trash can.

#57630 June 7th, 2006 at 10:59 AM
Official Problem Child
OP Offline
Official Problem Child
Below is the filter that the woman at Lowe's said I needed for this pond. It has a 330gph pump in it.

Bottom Layer
[Linked Image]

Next layer (one of these blue things)
[Linked Image]

Then 2 of these black filter things on top...
[Linked Image]

Here's what the top looks like after 2 days... Duh
All I do is constantly work on this pond.
It's wearing me out.

#57631 June 7th, 2006 at 11:07 AM
Official Problem Child
OP Offline
Official Problem Child
From Gardencrazy...
Ok for the trash can filter you have going how about this....in the very bottom of the trash can put some lava rocks in it about a foot thick. You can get them at Walmart for gas grills, then layer quilt batting and the fiber fill on top. You can fold the batting up into maybe about 2 to 4 layer thick sections and in between use the fiber fill. What you are needing is a good space for good algea to grow and eat the bad algea.
Question...
I have purchased a much better looking container for my homemade filter, and before I start cutting holes in it I wanted to ask...
Now that you have seen the one I have already made, do I need to pump the water in at the top like I'm doing now? And holes at the bottom like I have now?

#57632 June 7th, 2006 at 06:56 PM
Cindy~ I went through your "How not to build a pond" thread and came up with these figures for your pond. Tell me if they are wrong.
18X8X4
18' long 8' wide and at the deepest 4'
If these are right then your pond holds some wheres between 1700 to 2200 gallons of water. The filter from Lowes is way to small for your pond. Ideally you want to pump the whole amount of water every hour but at least half of the water needs to be cycled every hour. What has happened is when you first got the pond going you had enough plant life and cooler temperatures to hold off a major algae bloom. Now that we have had the hotter temps + the lack of shade your filter is to small to clear out enough of the algae to keep your water clear.

My question is are you wanting to keep the new filter on the outside or put it in the pond?

Donna

#57633 June 8th, 2006 at 07:10 AM
Official Problem Child
OP Offline
Official Problem Child
18' long 8' wide and at the deepest 4'
If these are right then your pond holds some wheres between 1700 to 2200 gallons of water.
Yep...that's about it.
...and that's what I told the woman at Lowe's.
She was supposed to be an expert. :rolleyes:

My question is are you wanting to keep the new filter on the outside or put it in the pond?
I'd rather it be IN the pond, so no one will see it. But, it's gonna be pretty big...right?
I haven't planned that far ahead.
I really don't like it sitting beside the pond...it's a trash can! :p

I will buy whatever I need...I just don't know what I need.

#57634 June 8th, 2006 at 07:41 AM
Official Problem Child
OP Offline
Official Problem Child
PS

I have 3 pumps right now...
...a 330gph (in the filter I got at Lowe's).
...a 675gph I bought last week for the trash can filter.
...and a smaller pump (smaller than the 330gph, but not sure what it is) I was gonna use for a fountain.

#57635 June 8th, 2006 at 07:44 AM
As of right now I can think of 2 ways to do it.

1~ On the outside like you have now but with a really nice 30+ gallon flower pot(for looks)
using quilt batting, lava rocks and scrubby pads/furnace filter & 1000 gallon pump
This way will be easier to keep clean. No heavy lifting.

2~ I will need a bit of time to think it through.

We will figure it out Cindy. kissies

#57636 June 8th, 2006 at 08:09 AM
Official Problem Child
OP Offline
Official Problem Child
a really nice 30+ gallon flower pot(for looks)
I swear, sometimes I amaze myself.
I have been trying to figure out a way all day to make a big trash can look decent. :rolleyes: I never even thought about a big flower pot! thumbup

#57637 June 8th, 2006 at 08:51 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Can't wait to hear how this all goes, I just have a small pond but I like reading this thread.

Cindy, I can't believe you are going to Walmart! shk laugh

#57638 June 8th, 2006 at 02:22 PM
Official Problem Child
OP Offline
Official Problem Child
I did it...I went to Wal-Mart. :p
...and a few other places.

I bought a gigantic flower pot...it didn't say how many gallons it was, but I was trying to picture at least 30 gallons of milk in it. shk

Well...it will be worth it to get this algae under control.

I'll take a pic of all of it tomorrow and Gardencrazy can tell me what to do with it! laugh

#57639 June 8th, 2006 at 11:09 PM
besides installing the filter, mayb you can try gettng a huge bunch of fast grwoing water plant to absorb nutrients that are in the water.

try floating plants like Pistia Stratiotes (water lettuce) or Eichhornia Crassipes (water hycinth). and after the water cleared up a bit, u can try some plants that submerges in the water like giant vallis which is not delicious to herbivorous fishes, since i see that u have kois in ur pond. however all of the plants that are mentioned are invasive plants. careful not to let them go into the local water ways.

#57640 June 9th, 2006 at 06:31 AM
Official Problem Child
OP Offline
Official Problem Child
stepheus...I had the hyacinths last year and it was amazing how fast my water cleared up...but they all died when it got cold.
I'm going to try to order some today, and the water lettuce, too.

Here is what I ended up with...
[Linked Image]
This thing is huge...maybe too big. :rolleyes:
It's like half a whiskey barrel...
[Linked Image]

...and I'm not sure if I got the right stuff here...
[Linked Image]
I had to make a choice on the thickness (or something).
They had "low loft", "medium loft" and "high loft".
I'm not a quilter...didn't know what that meant, so I got the cheapest one! laugh

#57641 June 9th, 2006 at 08:03 AM
C
C
Seeing those pics of the pump made me think of something....

When I moved into my house 2 years ago, I inherited a great yard and a koi pond. The pond is about 900 gallons. I don't know what kind of pump it has, but as far as the filter box goes....

Inside, there is (from the bottom up): a bag of aerators, 4 black filter pads, and then 3 bags of lava rock.

My main question is...in the Foster & Smith outdoor catalog, there are different kinds of filters in different colors (similar to those above). Is that the best way to go? Is it better to get different grades of filter vs. all the same? Would it help to catch more "gunk"?

Thanks!

p.s. thanks for the tips about the water hyacinths! I'll have to look into those for next year. Right now, there are water lilies (which need but back a bit, btw).

#57642 June 9th, 2006 at 09:03 AM
Hey, I love that pot! I'm really looking forward to see how all this turns out.
wink

#57643 June 9th, 2006 at 02:36 PM
Wow!! Cindy you did a great job on picking a pot. I love it.

The set up is basically the same as the trash can. You need holes on the bottom and to bring the water in the top.

Once you have made your holes then layer lava rock on the bottom, about 1 to 1 1/2 feet thick. On top of the lava rock layer the quilt batting 4 to 6 layers thick.
Now on top of the batting you need some kind of diverter. The water needs to be spread around not just going into one spot.
I have a small pot filter like this and I used a pie pan with holes poked into it. I have been trying to think of something all day to use and the only thing I can come up with is a large plastic platter (the kind you can get at the grocery store with veggies on it?

Once you get the diverter in place you can place a few lava rock on top of it and then top it off with some water loving plants.

Does all this make sense?

#57644 June 9th, 2006 at 04:25 PM
connickfan~

My main question is...in the Foster & Smith outdoor catalog, there are different kinds of filters in different colors (similar to those above). Is that the best way to go? Is it better to get different grades of filter vs. all the same? Would it help to catch more "gunk"?
There are different sized filters for different sized ponds. You need a filter that is rated for a 900 gallon pond. How many koi do you have?

#57645 June 14th, 2006 at 01:17 AM
Official Problem Child
OP Offline
Official Problem Child
I have been thinking overtime, trying to figure out how to get the pond water pumped into this planter (filter) without having an ugly hose just sticking into it with the water coming out.
[Linked Image]
(Thinking just regularly is hard enough, but thinking overtime was killing me!) eek

Yesterday I was standing at the pond...thinking. grinnnn

I am so excited about getting this hooked up now!

#57646 June 14th, 2006 at 01:56 AM
I can't wait to see it when you are finished, Cindy!

BTW, remember when you had an umbrella that you moved around all the time out by the pond to shade it? I finally gave up and bought one myself! laugh

Dianna

#57647 June 14th, 2006 at 02:04 AM
Official Problem Child
OP Offline
Official Problem Child
Dianna...I thought it was such a pain in the butt to move that umbrella around all day...so I thought I was real smart putting the new pond under the maple tree!
WRONG! ! ! laugh
Now all I do is clean leaves out of the pond all fall and winter, and those little helicopter seeds all spring and summer. :rolleyes:

I miss that umbrella now! eek

#57648 June 14th, 2006 at 02:07 AM
Cindy, since our pond area is going to be a memorial garden for my uncle, Johnny, we are thinking about planting a Pawlonia tree beside it. He loved those trees. Good thing that they have gigantic leaves, huh? Less fishing them out or maybe could leave them in there to help shade the fish! laugh

Dianna

#57649 June 14th, 2006 at 03:59 AM
C
C
Originally posted by Gardencrazy:
There are different sized filters for different sized ponds. You need a filter that is rated for a 900 gallon pond. How many koi do you have? [/QUOTE]

There are 8 koi and they're a pretty good size. I've been in talks with my new pond guy (he did a FANTASTIC job cleaning it top to bottom last year) about giving some of the fish a new home. I thought it might help with the amount of times I have to clean the filters. I was told though that with older fish it's harder to sell them b/c of the risk of sickness/death when moving them to a new pond. He said that he would take them as a "donation" rather than for sale. I've been told these guys are worth quite a bit of $.

We inherited the pond when we bought the house. The person that had the pond built hired someone that doesn't have the best reputation in the business. When he installed it, he put the pump right next to the waterfall. mad This is a bit of a pain in the neck b/c it seems to collect a lot of little rocks around it and I have to go in, move the larger rocks and and then clear from around the pump.

#57650 June 14th, 2006 at 07:08 AM
Connickfan, can we see a pic of your pond?

#57651 June 14th, 2006 at 07:54 AM
Official Problem Child
OP Offline
Official Problem Child
Xetox, you took the words right out of my mouth!
(...or my fingers, rather!) laugh

#57652 June 14th, 2006 at 11:24 AM
Official Problem Child
OP Offline
Official Problem Child
I finally found it! grinnnn
I have looked for this all day...

[Linked Image]

I guess I need to sandblast it tomorrow to get the rust off of it.
Then, I'll be able to hook it up to the pump and make my new cool filter!

#57653 June 14th, 2006 at 01:24 PM
Man alive... you all are making my little plastic Folgers coffee can filter look bad! nutz But hey... Im thinkin of movin up to a gallon and a half filter wink Actually, it has worked very well for us... I will post some pics tommorrow... might work for somebody else too.... oh, and by the by... my algea has subsided... I had a bad out break of hair algea....waqter lettuce and the water lily providing shade just about killed it all off!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard