This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#57046 September 23rd, 2006 at 06:42 AM
OP Offline
I've never planted squash before, but I want to try it. My Meme and Papa always planted squash and gave us their overabundance that we could eat. I didn't care for it much as a child (mostly because I didn't like the way my mom cooked it), but I've eaten it prepared much better as an adult.

My question is, which is the best, or most preferred type of squash. I've heard of spaghetti squash, summer squash, butternut squash and others, but I'm unfamiliar with them. Which one should I plant, and which one has a better taste (when prepared correctly).

I'll also take suggestions on how to prepare it. I've got my Betty Crocker cookbook,among others, but I'm always open to suggestions.

Thanx,
Teresa wavey

#57047 September 24th, 2006 at 11:53 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I love Acorn Squash...
That's probably my personal favorite..

We used to cook the acorns, cut in half, *length wise* and lay it flat down on a cookie sheet that has a lip on it to hold water.. and bake, I don't really remember what the temp was, but probably 350*'s for an hour?
We cook it in the microwave now...
I take a micro safe bowl, place the halved *scooped out* squash, upright, so the hole is up **in the oven it's hole side down** I place water about 3/4 the way up the bowl, and put in a dap of butter ***my mother likes brown sugar in hers too, I DON'T, but other's do***

I then put it in the micro, and depending if it's a big one or little one.. and depending if it's store bought or homegrown... what the time of the cooking process it is...
****Home grown one's cook quicker, store bought take a minute or two or three longer****
Bigger one's from the store are about 8 minutes, big one's from the garden, about 6 minutes, on HIGH... smaller ones' from the garden, maybe only 4 minutes, smaller ones' from store only 6 minutes.. but I cook them up and let them set too.. usually on a pot holder and have a towel over the top... I like them soft..

#57048 September 24th, 2006 at 11:55 AM
Weez, I wonder why a store one would take longer?
What in the bad word are they doing to our food.....

#57049 September 24th, 2006 at 12:15 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Nothing really,
it's more storage and they're kept longer in a storage area for shipping and selling...
*acorns have a long shelf life, conpared to like a tomato*...
You can pick a acorn in Aug/Sept and it's good until *at least* Nov/Dec..
So, a fresh grown one is more delicate and fresh, obviously than one stored for a wee~bit of time...

#57050 September 24th, 2006 at 06:41 PM
Summer squash should be picked, cooked and eaten right away. It doesnt store well. winter squash if kept cool (not refrigerated) and dry will last for months. Spagetti squash, also a winter squash, is a whole other experience. Yummy when cooked then sauted with butter and garlic.
Winters can be baked, boiled, mashed.. Pumpkin, although technically a gourd is very good mashed(see recipe thread) I made some zucchini soup, thats one way you can freeze it for later use.

#57051 September 24th, 2006 at 11:54 PM
OIC, Weezie-I thought you meant those genetically engineered vegetables.

#57052 September 25th, 2006 at 12:36 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Originally posted by Deborah L.:
OIC, Weezie-I thought you meant those genetically engineered vegetables.
Nope, just age really..
But believe it or not, I like the older one's really.. cause theres' more flavor in those to be honest..
The darker the color of the meat of the acorn, the more intense flavor of squash... IMHO...

Link Copied to Clipboard