This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#56566 December 4th, 2006 at 02:49 AM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
Ok, so it is going to take 12-14 days for us to get from here to Kenai and we will have 3 cats, 2 puppies, and my peace lily in the back seat. My jade is small...maybe 10" tall. Do you think it will survive in the trailer if I take it out at night and put it in the hotel room with us? I thought about putting it in the bathroom all night long and leaving the light on and closing the door. It will be chilly in the trailer during the day as it is not insulated. Anyone have any ideas?

#56567 December 4th, 2006 at 08:35 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
options i can think of are, can you put it in a box and put it in the back seat? even if it doesn't have light for 2-3 weeks, it will survive, it will just be a little goofy for the first few days, and will need to be slowly brought out to sunlight. the good thing is that you will arrive in alaska during the short days.

i know this because i found one in my mother's boxes of stuff, about 3-5 months after she died, and it lived. it had just been dropped in the box of her stuff from the nursing home. took me a while to go through that stuff.

other ideas is getting an ice chest to put it in, and bring the ice chest into the hotel rooms at night. the ice chest will hold the warmth longer than just outside in the trailer.

#56568 December 4th, 2006 at 09:30 AM
M
M
Ok, I've missed a lot - you're moving from Penna to Alaska? Ok, the jade. I understand focusing on details in overwhelming circumstances. When is this move happening? I will be thinking of you!!! Try your best to keep the plant from freezing, and as warm as possible, with whatever light it can get durring the day and dark at night. Expect leaf drop, perhaps extreme leaf drop. That's ok. When you get to your new home, hug your people, pat your animals, breathe, eat, look around and enjoy, or know in a few weeks you'll be able to enjoy. Within a week (IF you can) put the jade where it will live there. Water it once to soak through, then leave it alone. For months. It's going to want time. So will you. It takes 4 months for a person to feel settledish in a new place. Maybe more for a jade. Tell us about how it goes. And... Alaska! How exciting! Where? Why? My best to you!

#56569 December 4th, 2006 at 09:43 AM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
Margaret, we have always planned on moving to Alaska. My hubby was born there and then his dad was sent to PA to work, so they all moved. We are moving to Kenai, AK. We close on the house on January 26th and will leave almost immediately. Here is a link to the thread that is in Banter Hall about it...
Packing~The Great Adventure

Jiffy, if I put the jade into a box, I can put it ito the covered bed of the truck without the animals bothering it. The back seat folds down and the heat from the truck cab will go into the bed. ...so if it'll be ok like that, then that's what we will probably do.

#56570 December 4th, 2006 at 10:17 AM
Jenn~

If you are planning on driving plants through Canada, you might have to have them inspected and passed before you can get them through. I had to do that with all my plants that I took from Alaska through Canada and back into Washington. I had to go to an agricultural dept. - sorry I can't remember the proper name - it was 1977 when I did that - and get a certificate of approval first.

#56571 December 4th, 2006 at 11:20 PM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
I had thought of that and we have looked through everything as far as transporting plants through and I think that has been modified. I looked each plant up and looked at the requirements and everything looked ok. I can up to 50 plants through. They will ask where I got the plants and what types of soil are in the pots and as long as the soil is commercial and the plants came from a greenhouse or store, then it should be ok. smile

Link Copied to Clipboard