This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#56275 March 3rd, 2006 at 06:41 AM
OP Offline
6" Pot Spider plant $6.96 (hopefully it will grow as well as my fake one laugh )

[Linked Image]

10" Pot Kimberly Queen Fern $9.99 (this thing is huge!)

[Linked Image]

3.8 Pepernomia "variegated green valley" & Ivy "Small leaf green" $2.49 each (couldn't help my self they were such cute and healthy little plants

[Linked Image]

My cute little watering cans to hold my av's! only $1.00 each (I only bought 4 but after seeing them in these pots I have to buy more!!! I don't even have to re-pot them and they look great...)

[Linked Image]

My itsey bitsey little clay pots they are only 1." (These will be perfest for those little guys to promate fast growing!)

[Linked Image]

What do you think did I do good? You guys find better buys? Any care recomendations?

That turned out nice.. I do like the little tins!

OOOooooooooooooo, You did great! thumbup
Everything looks so nice and healthy. flw flw flw flw

OP Offline
smile grinnnn smile This is FlowerNewbie super happy about her new plants and not depressed about gardening ANYMORE flw flw flw !!!

LOL Flowernewbie! Looks like you did good! I LOVE those little watering cans. I notice you're from Boston-are you going to the flower show next weekend? We went last year and we're going again this year on Saturday (3/11)-I can't wait!

OP Offline
Really actually never heard of it. How can I find out about it?

AV Queen
AV Queen
Wow, a curly spider plant! Good score!

And the AV's look awesome in the tins. thumbup

OP Offline
That looks pretty cool, kinda pricey per ticket though... is it worth it? Considering I can only do houseplants?

OP Offline
ohhh just looked at the gala... looks nice but can't afford $300 that's for sure!

OP Offline
oops, just checked the weather for sat. 11th - it's supposed to rain frown But at least it's going to me in mid 40's

Yes, the tickets are somewhat pricey. But they really have some great displays-quite a few of them. And then there's the stands that sell houseplants. I always try to find some unique plants there. Rainy weekend = great time to escape to some "fantasy" gardens!

T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Good looking tins nice buys.

OP Offline
Hey guys, I decided to go to the flower show - by the way looked at weather today and looks like the rain moved to thurs - fri and the high is 56!! Awesome! I'm gonna do a posts in the banter hall to see if other people are going... Perhaps we could have a mini "garden forum" get together in boston flw .... wouldn't that be fun!

I love the Kimberly Queen Fern, it is beautiful! Great buy!!! thumbup

patches kit

#56290 March 10th, 2006 at 08:31 AM
Nice fern.

#56291 March 12th, 2006 at 11:44 AM
C
C
Like the ferns and the tins.

#56292 March 13th, 2006 at 04:27 AM
love the fern and curly spider plant. I feel an urge to go plant shopping! Lately I've been trying new plants from cuttings... going so far as "borrowing" cuttings from plants I like at restaurants and so forth. Unfortunately none have survived the trip home in the winter.

I recall you asked for care advice - so I'll mention that if you have cats to keep them away from the spider plant. Spideys are toxic (because they are so effective at absorbing the toxins in your home) and cats love the long chewable leaves. At least, every cat I know does. I recently had to toss a few spiderettes I got from my supervisor's office because they were just too toxic! My cat was vomiting immediately after one small chew.

#56293 March 13th, 2006 at 06:13 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
For little understood physiological reasons, cats will sometimes chew plants, particularly grasses and grass-like plants, to induce vomiting. That might have occurred with your cat, Mandy, but spider plants are safe, non-toxic plants to grow around cats. The only reason to remove spider plants from the reach of cats is that they are a favorite menu item for many cats who graze them to the soil line. :rolleyes:

In nature, cats incorporate plants into their diet. Indoor pets frequently chew on houseplants because of restricted access to outdoor greens. growing a pan of kitty greens is helpful in discouraging cats from chewing indoor plants.

#56294 March 13th, 2006 at 06:58 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi Mandy,

There is much confusion about certain plants that have been identified as superior at removing air pollutants. Research subsequent to 1984 has established that many other common houseplants are rated as being even more effective than spider plants at removing indoor pollutants. But that is another topic all together.

It is actually the soil that is the key to air pollutant removal. There is no evidence that the removed pollutants are then transferred to the plant tissue. Thus, there is no connection between a plants ability to remove pollutants and its toxicity.

Cricket is right that spider plants are considered non-toxic.

Will Creed
Indoor landscaper

#56295 March 13th, 2006 at 11:55 PM
OP Offline
Well I don't have any pets - I have a 1 year old and a growing by the day variety of plants - that's enough for me. I do love cats though because of there ability to be independent and loving when you want them to but away when your busy. As well as the easy train cat litter thing. I've never been good at training dogs and they have never lasted in my home. I've always had a cat but my younger brother is allergic (he's only 11) and I promised him that when my cat was gone I wouldn't get another. Since he's frequent at my house I'd better keep that promise. Also now that I have this gardening hobby I couldn't imagine coming home to some awful mess or having them distroyed.

#56296 April 29th, 2006 at 03:35 AM
Yes u did a great job on getting your new plants
they all look so good and the pretty tin,s are great too thumbup flw
bettyboop1948
great buy,s
I found a great plant while out walking so i took some I think will help the hummers come to it wink
bettyboop1948
[Linked Image]

#56297 April 29th, 2006 at 03:41 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i LOVE the metal watering cans!!!!

i've got a ton of those 1 inch clay pots - they're terrific for those tiny starter plants!!

#56298 April 29th, 2006 at 03:19 PM
G
G
They look so nice and healthy! Good job thumbup

Link Copied to Clipboard