This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#56182 October 5th, 2006 at 06:06 AM
OP Offline
Hi,
When I bought my ivy I asked alot of questions, and no one mentioned anything about transplanting. Now it's dying...could this be the cause?

Please Help!

#56183 October 5th, 2006 at 09:20 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
if it is dying, then the reasons could be many. first, is it a true ivy (hedera) or is it a vine that is mislabled/called ivy such as pothos or philodendrun?

next, is the soil wet/dry/compacted?

are the roots mushy/healthy/rootbound?

are the leaves falling off brown wilted or brown brittle?

the reason i am asking all these questions is that the answers can tell us what might be wrong. too much water, too little water, needs repotted, over fed, not enough light, too much light, etc.

#56184 October 5th, 2006 at 09:46 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
if you could post a picture of it, that would be helpful, too smile

#56185 October 5th, 2006 at 01:55 PM
OP Offline
When I bought it, the girl said it was an English ivy, but I've looked at pics. & I'm not sure. The leaves are the same shape, but smaller. It has small light green leaves with white around edges. The soil is compact in pot, the leaves are dry, brittle, & brown. It's not getting direct light, but I was told it didn't need it. The leaves are not falling off. I have no idea what the roots are doing. HELP!!!

#56186 October 6th, 2006 at 09:47 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
ok, it is probably a variety of english ivy. hedera helix. there is a type that has that coloring to the leaves.

now, is the soil dry? have you fertilized it? If you haven't don't.

sounds like at the very least some "cultivating" is in order, and you might need to soak it good to get the compacted soil to loosen.

after you soak it good, then drain it well, take a chopstick or skewer and poke it in the soil, wiggle it, poke another place, wiggle, and keep doing that till you have lots of "holes" "stirred up". this will areate the soil and loosen it.

in the meantime, cut the brown areas off. they aren't helping your plant and are depressing you! cutting them won't hurt.

Link Copied to Clipboard