This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#55756 July 17th, 2006 at 08:18 AM
OP Offline
This is the first year I have EVER had basil grow well enough to harvest and USE ! To even have enough for neighbors !
It grew tall and lush. I didn't know that basil gets so big.
I like to tuck a few curls of basil inside a grilled cheese sandwich before grilling.
I'm thrilled about the basil !
No bugs either ! flw

#55757 July 18th, 2006 at 10:26 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Congratulations Deborah L.

I love basil. Especially since that was the plant I was researching when I found the garden helper. And since I found the cinnamon basil I'm even happier with it.

It will grow from cuttings really well to which is how I ended up with 3 mature plants this year lol. And that's after giving several away so far. One I am going to let flower for the seeds and the other two I'm going to keep through the winter. Then in the spring I'll take cuttings again to start some new plants and when they are going good I'll let the big ones go to flower. And so the cycle continues.

Congratulations with your basil.

#55758 July 18th, 2006 at 11:51 AM
OP Offline
Thanks, TK !
I have cinnamon basil too, it smells just like licorice.
The basil that's such a huge success is the common basil, which is my favorite for eating.
I've wondered if my cinnamon basil maybe was mislabeled-does yours smell like licorice?

#55759 July 21st, 2006 at 01:28 AM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
Deborah do you know what kind of basil you have? Genovese basil is the most common...but for me it is more difficult to grow. My favorite basil is African Blue and although it is a little more difficult to find it is a lot easier to grow. It gets really big and bushy and has a WONDERFUL flavor....I use a lot of it. And it is easy to dry so you will have plenty through the winter.
We love it in our salads, in our marinades, spaghetti sauces etc....
Congrats on your success!

~V~

#55760 July 21st, 2006 at 05:12 AM
OP Offline
Thanks, 4Ruddy !
It's the Genovese basil.
It sure is fun having a huge healthy plant of basil, and all that I want to use.

#55761 July 23rd, 2006 at 10:42 AM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
The African blue always bushes out and gets a lot bigger for me....the flavor is just a little different than the Genovese...you might try it sometime to see which you like better...

~V~

#55762 July 23rd, 2006 at 11:10 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
No my cinnamon basil doesn't taste like licorice. It has a very definite basil taste with just a hint of cinnamon that is noticeable when used in cooking.

You have me very curious about your cinnamon basil now.

#55763 July 23rd, 2006 at 01:28 PM
OP Offline
The cinnamon basil-actually I have never tasted it.
It just smells like licorice.
Because of the occasional inchworm, I don't wanna eat it ! :p

#55764 August 26th, 2006 at 07:56 AM
S
S
hi folks,

great to read about you success with basil

I have started growing some basil in the last two months but i find that there is something eating away as the leaves

any suggestions on how to combat this problem??

#55765 September 8th, 2006 at 01:58 PM
Steve, early in the growing season here, something was nibbling on my basil too, but I couldn't see what was doing it! (I didn't really do anything about it, other than hose the plants off when I watered them. I don't know if that's what put an end to the leaf munchers, but the basil kept growing, & the holes stopped happening.) Duh

I don't cook with basil... (Actually, I try my best not to cook at all!) thumbup

Getting them started can be touchy sometimes, but I've found that warm (almost HOT) soil & lots of water seem to be the keys to germination & keeping it going. (Metal containers in full sun works really well.) Also, after starting from seed & babying them along, it was a bit distressing to lose so many basil plants shortly after transplanting... I finally figured out that I was transplanting them too soon, even though they looked hardy & healthy enough. (If I start the seeds indoors, rather than waiting to plant outdoors when the ground is VERY warm, the bigger they are when I transfer them to the garden, the better chance they have... & they take right off & grow at an amazing rate!)

Last year I had a whole garden section with nothing in it but basil, & it was absolutely to die for! flw On really hot days, the sun would heat it up & if I was lucky enough to be in the yard when a gentle breeze came my way, the scent of that warm basil was like a sigh from heaven!

This year I took my basil obsession further, & thought I'd try creating a "Deer Barrier" along the outside of the chain-link fence that protects my veggie garden from the deer. (Every year, they've snacked on my tomatoes & the melon vines that spread out & lean against the fence!) mad

I built a bed, about 2 feet wide, down the 20 foot length of the fence, & planted GOBS of Sweet Basil (purple, variegated & green), along with Dill & Devil's Claw (because both of those are also plants that deer go out of their way to avoid).
[Linked Image] Deer Barrier '06

It looked so cool when everything was in full flourish, & my "Deer Barrier" was a complete success! They turned away from that area every time they passed through the field... My melons, cucumbers & tomatoes haven't suffered from one single nibble this year!

The shot of the whole deer barrier didn't turn out very clear, so I'm throwing in a couple close-ups that did!
[Linked Image] Basil & Dill

[Linked Image] Devil's Claw

I don't think I've bought Basil seeds for 10 years, because I harvest my own seeds every year. (So many that I never use them all!) Basil seeds remain viable for many years... they seem to have an unlimited "shelf life".

#55766 September 8th, 2006 at 09:04 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I love the picture of the purple basil. Do you ever trade the seeds? I'm also a basil addict. But have been focusing on the cinnamon basil. I think I would like to try some of the purple. If we could trade. I have lots of things on my trade list in the seed exchange. Or I could pay you for postage.

#55767 September 9th, 2006 at 03:51 AM
OP Offline
Patti, you don't use all that gorgeous basil for cooking?
Um, how far is Oregon from California...... lol.
I know what you mean about that fragrance-it helps when I feel kind of "blah". Wakes me up.
Aren't herbs TREASURES?

#55768 September 9th, 2006 at 08:31 AM
Patty your plants look very nice! Thats a great idea about using them as a deer barrier.

#55769 September 9th, 2006 at 08:45 AM
Looks beautiful. Patty does have a way with basil. Mine flopped this year and she brought up some for my that is thriving. I think I am just gonna get some from her again next spring! laugh

#55770 September 9th, 2006 at 08:52 AM
OP Offline
HEY, IF SHE CAN DRIVE UP THERE, SHE CAN DRIVE DOWN HERE ! laugh laugh

#55771 September 11th, 2006 at 08:05 AM
NOT! grinnnn

#55772 September 11th, 2006 at 08:47 AM
OP Offline
Patty, that's faaaaaaaaar away from me........
Thanks and LOL though ! laugh

#55773 September 11th, 2006 at 09:46 AM
And just think, she is another, what, 10 hours north of Oakland??? Duh Please tell me you are not going to cheer on the Raiders?

#55774 September 11th, 2006 at 10:40 AM
OP Offline
Me?

#55775 September 11th, 2006 at 10:43 PM
The Raiders remark was for Patty. The 10 hours north of Oakland was for you. Encinitas is south of San Diego, right? So you are about 10 hours from Oakland as well.

#55776 September 12th, 2006 at 05:43 AM
OP Offline
Encinitas IS San Diego.
Actually, San Diego county.
I'm in the north, about 3 miles in from the beach.

#55777 September 12th, 2006 at 05:44 AM
OP Offline
Triss, God bless you for your lovely signature today.
WE WILL NEVER FORGET !!!

Link Copied to Clipboard