This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#55501 October 31st, 2006 at 11:19 AM
OP Offline
I read somewhere that when the temperature gets below 50 degrees that we are supposed to quit feeding the fish. Well, we have already had two good frosts with temps in the 30's, but the last couple of days have been in the higher 60's or low 70's. When we went out to clean the new filter tonight, the fish came up wanting to eat...

I went ahead and fed them, but was wondering if I am slowing down their hibernation "mode" for lack of a better way of explaining it. It will be in the 70's on Wednesday/Thurday here and then back to the 30's on Friday and Saturday.

Should I not be feeding them when the weather has good days with temps above the 50's?

Dianna

#55502 October 31st, 2006 at 12:18 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
I will be watching this topic...hoping to learn the same thing.

I can't stand for my fishies to come up wanting food and then not giving them any. Especially Connery...he jumps out of the water and does a back flip for me.

#55503 October 31st, 2006 at 12:30 PM
OP Offline
Cindy, I am afraid that if I don't feed Samson and Delilah when they come up for food, that they might start eating each other! perpl

Dianna

#55504 October 31st, 2006 at 12:35 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Have you named ALL of your fishies?
No...I guess I should... :rolleyes: shocked laugh
I'm a bad mommy!

#55505 November 1st, 2006 at 10:47 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i feed my fish about once a week or so, sometimes more often, but more lightly, during weather like this. when it gets cold to "stay" i feed them a few flakes in the middle of the day, once a week or so, IF they come to the top to "ask". otherwise, they don't get much food when it is cold. so far, i have one that i have had 2 years now, and a couple from last year, so i must be doing something right. Duh

#55506 November 1st, 2006 at 11:43 AM
I beleive the temp thing is with the water. Do you have a thermometer in the water? When the temp gets down to 50 the fish slow down and don't digest the food right. If the water is around 60 and the fish are moveing around good they could be fed. There is special food for colder weather. Helps them digest it easier. If you put food in the water and it doesn't get ate it can cloud the water.
I really need to get out there and scoop up the leaves and stuff that the windy weather blew in mine this past week. This is when I'm glad it is a small pond. And when I'm laying on the ground with my arm completly submerged scraping the sides and getting the rocks that fell in.
DianeB

#55507 November 1st, 2006 at 08:47 PM
OP Offline
Jiffy, I didn't feed my fish at all after it got really cold here last year. I was so happy to see that winter didn't do them in...

My pond is small, too, Diane. It is an 85 gallon insert. It does make it easier to clean. I have never heard of the "cold-weather" food for fish...

Thanks for your input, Everyone. I am hoping that Samson and Delilah make it through another winter here.

Dianna

#55508 November 3rd, 2006 at 12:51 AM
buzylady is correct in that the fish do not digest food properly when "water" temps fall below 50 degrees. I have read in several books that even if the air temps are up and in the 60's or higher, chances are, a day or two of these temps aren't enuff to warm the water up and even if they look like they want food, fish shouldn't be fed. From the start of September up until the water temp is 50 degrees, feed your fish food that is high in wheat germ content. This is much easier for them to digest. Here is a website you can visit that explains it a little better than I can!
Feeding your Pond Fish in Winter

Good Luck!

#55509 November 3rd, 2006 at 11:17 AM
OP Offline
Thank you, eclo! I guess my fish are through eating for this year. It is going to drop to 29 degrees tonight and for the three nights after will be in the 30's...

Dianna

#55510 November 3rd, 2006 at 01:36 PM
i stopped feeding my fish about a month ago, even though we have had several warm days, the water is already too cold. my pond is only 2 ft. deep and my fish winter fine. i keep the pump and spitter running all winter so it does'nt freeze over. if any of yours do, just remember to GENTLY break a hole in the ice otherwise the shockwaves can kill your fish.

#55511 November 3rd, 2006 at 08:52 PM
OP Offline
My pond is only 2 feet deep, also, and I keep our fountain/spitter running full time. I was so happy to see that Samson and Delilah made it through last winter that way...

Dianna

#55512 November 5th, 2006 at 05:38 AM
I'm glad I found this topic as I've had the same question on my mind lately. I had stopped feeding the fish when the cold weather set in but on the days it warms up and I go out to clean the leaves out of the pond, they come to my hand thinking I have food. lol I did feed them today but I have to tell myself *no more*. lol
The fry were out and about skimming around the pond so I guess things are a-ok in there.

Link Copied to Clipboard