This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#5539 February 18th, 2007 at 12:31 AM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
Last week I was surfin' the net visiting a crafts site recommended by Wrennie, and came across a recipe for Chocolate Spoons, the kind you make to stir hot coffee.

So, it sounds easy. So, I called around to find who carried the ingredients in my area, and AC Moore does. That was easy!

So, my attendant will be picking up the things I need this weekend and I plan to make them on Tuesday as I want some of them for gifts on Wednesday and also later in the week.

Have any of you made these spoons before or have worked with candy melts?

Merme

#5540 February 18th, 2007 at 12:47 AM
No I haven't made them..I would like to tho! Are you going to post the reciepe??
I have had them tho with differnt flavors chocolate with peppermint, carmel, orange, vanilla, almond, easy enough to add the flavoring with the chocolate.

#5541 February 19th, 2007 at 12:38 AM
I made them for my sister for Christmas this past year and she loved them! I just melted the big hunks of candy making chocolate (not the candy melts, the kind you buy in blocks) and dipped clear plastic spoons into them, then put them on parchment paper or foil to set up. Then you can get creative and take the flavored chocolate or white chocoloate and drizzle over them to make them different.
I put mine in a clear cellophane bag (for candy and favors- you can get them in the party aisle or wedding/craft aisles) and tied a pretty bow on the top and put them in a nice mug for her, then put that in a basket with some assorted coffee and hot cocoa samples and individual packets, etc.
smile They are really fun to make and relatively inexpensive.

'Manda

#5542 February 19th, 2007 at 01:16 AM
Hey THanks 'Manda did you use a double boiler to melt the Chocolate? AND can you use those hard candy sticks( flavored candy) hot cinnamon, almond etc and dip in the chocolate as well??

#5543 February 19th, 2007 at 01:20 PM
If you do use a double boiler to melt the chocolate be very careful that the steam and moisture from the bottom pot does not get into the chocolate. You can also melt the candies in the microwave, but check on it and stir every 30 seconds , it will burn easily in the micro if you just let it go. You can add a tablespoon of shortening also to give it a nice smooth texture and some gloss.

#5544 February 19th, 2007 at 01:28 PM
Okay, I have a question. Does the chocolate peel off the spoons before you package them up or do you just leave the spoons in them? Sorry for being so dumb about this, but I really don't know. Sounds like a cute idea for some novelty gifts...

#5545 February 19th, 2007 at 02:15 PM
Dixie, you leave the chocolate on the spoon and then when the recipient wants to use them, they take off any plastic covering or little ribbons and then use the spoon covered in chocolate to stir their hot coffee. The chocolate melts into your coffee and it is delightful! Nice mocha flavor! thumbup

#5546 February 19th, 2007 at 02:49 PM
Thank you, Mel! That sounds good. I will be giving it a try, too...

#5547 February 20th, 2007 at 03:58 AM
Yes, I did use a double boiler. If your burners get really hot like mine do, put it on a VERY low setting and let it melt slowly, that way it won't boil and the steam won't curdle your chocolate.

I didn't use flavors for mine, I just did regular milk choc for the dip and then drizzled with some white choc on some and some butterscotch chips on others MMMMMMMMMMMMM

My nephew thought you were supposed to eat them like lollipops and he kept sneaking and licking them LOL

#5548 February 21st, 2007 at 03:18 AM
Thanks for the info everyone I definatley will make some of those!

#5549 February 21st, 2007 at 03:55 AM
What a great idea. I think I may use this one for a large gift basket I want to make for my SIL for her wedding!

#5550 February 21st, 2007 at 04:01 AM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
I finally have a chance to post the recipe and instructions I used:

You will need:

Chocolate Mint Spoons for Mocha Mint Coffee

One 12 oz package of semi-sweet chocolate chips
One bag of green candy melts or wafers
One small bottle of Creme de Menthe candy flavoring
Heavy duty plastic spoons in the color of your choice
Saran wrap
Cookie sheet or jelly roll pan
waxed paper
Microwavable bowl or glass measuring cup, the smaller the size the better.

DIRECTIONS:

Line cookie sheets or jelly roll pans with waxed paper and set aside. The wet spoons will dry on these.

Put 1 c chocolate chips in a pyrex measuring cup or small bowl suitable for the microwave. Microwave on MEDIUM for 30 seconds. Stir. Microwave for 30 more seconds. Stir. Keep microwaving the chocolate in these small increments so you do not burn the chocolate, stirring after each bit. You want the chocolate to be quite thin and not glumpy.

Add 5 to 7 drops of mint flavoring to chocolate, and stir.

Dip spoon bowl into the chocolate, covering front and back completely. Lightly tap the handle of the spoon against the bowl to shake off excess. Place spoon on waxed paper and allow to dry.

When spoons are dry....

Melt 1/4 c to 1/2 c green candy melts or wafers in microwave bowl or measuring cup, melting it for 30 seconds at a time, stirring. The wafers or melts will not lose their shape unless stirred.

When the melts are nicely melted, you can now either use the tines of a fork to drizzle the green candy over the surface of the chocolate spoons in a freeform artsy style, or you can dip the chocolate spoons about 1/2 way down into the melted candy.

Also, you have the option of melting the candy melts or wafers inside of a ziplock bag. Using your hands to squeeze the candy so it is the right consistancy, you can snip off one corner of the ziplock bag and use it like you would to pipe a decoration of icing. So, decorate the chocolate spoons with the green melted melts.

After the spoons have the green melts on them, by whatever method you chose, pop them into the refridgerator for 30 minutes until the green takes on a nice shiney look.

Here is the tedious part:

If the spoons are not going to be used right away, for instance, at a party, you should wrap them individually with cut rectangles of saran wrap and secure around the neck of the spoon.

These can then be bagged into a ziplock and frozen for future use.

This recipe made 30 spoons. I wrapped a dozen for a friend and tied pretty ribbon at the neck of each spoon. For other friends, I simply used scotch tape to secure the saran wrap making sure I wasn't taping onto the spoon handle.

I chose to use green candy melts and mint flavoring for my spoons. But if you think of it, the possibilities are nearly endless. The candy melts and wafers come in several colors and there are flavorings galore. None of it was expensive, and it would be an ideal thing for a party, to have spoons in several flavors and colors at the coffee bar...

Merme

#5551 February 21st, 2007 at 11:13 PM
Thanks Merme for the reciepe Hmmm I've never heard of candy melts/ wafers Duh Do you know of a common store that may have them???

#5552 February 21st, 2007 at 11:18 PM
Craft stores usually sell them. Try any of these:
AC Moore, Hobby Lobby, JoAnne Fabrics, Michael's, etc.... Walmart often carries a few in their craft dept as well.
They are also for sale on eBay or try wilton.com
wink

#5553 February 22nd, 2007 at 02:29 AM
I've seen the candy melts at Walmart too! Look near the craft/fabric section, they should have a very tiny Wilton section.

#5554 February 22nd, 2007 at 03:01 AM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
Sorry, I messed up this post. I'm quite over tired and will post tomorrow instead.

Merme

Link Copied to Clipboard