This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#55371 October 6th, 2006 at 07:49 AM
T
OP Offline
T
Hello, everybody!

I posted this in the Mystery plants, and Zuzu's Petals suggested that it is Epiphyllum oxypetalum.

I checked on the Internet, and think that's a correct identification.

this message is copied from Mystery plants:

I got this plant from my aunt last fall; it was pretty much dead then. To my shame, I did not take proper care of it until summer came. Then, as I was looking at its limp pale leaves, my stone heart finally showed some signs of humanity and I replanted it in well draining fresh soil and took the poor thing out on the balcony. And lo and behold! within few weeks it underwent a wonderful transformation. Its leaves became shiny and springy, and it began sprouting all this new glossy growth. Now I feel absolutely awful for not treating it properly all those months. This plant appears to have a very grateful and , hopefully, forgiving nature. So, would you help me please to make up for all that neglect? What is it? what does it need to be happy? (I took it inside couple of weeks ago, because it started getting a bit chilly at nights). It is not as glowing now as it was on the balcony and stopped sprouting new growth, but still appears to be healthy and generally pleased with life.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n309/treelove76/plants/P1010082.jpg

I don't remember what kind of soil I put it in; it might be part cactus mix, but I am not sure. IT is in a plastic pot now. What is a proper mix for this plant? Is plastic Ok? should I replant it in a more suitable soil?

DO I dare hope for a bloom at some point?

thank you everybody,
t.

PS: I have no idea how old this plant is. All the leaves on the pic are new growth.

#55372 October 7th, 2006 at 12:38 PM
M
M
"DO I dare hope for a bloom at some point?"
But of course! Dare/hope for everything! Just remember plants are slower than people. Your blooms may take 1-3 years to happen. It will bloom when a bit pot-bound, when it has had a cooler, drier winter(as compared to its summer, not cold and bone dry, just -er), with warmth, moisture, and diluted fertilizer again about February. Good luck! The plants can get lanky, strapling(my husband says ugly!), yet the blooms are spectacular!

#55373 October 8th, 2006 at 08:54 PM
T
OP Offline
T
Thank you, Margaret!

I'll try my best with this plant and will keep my fingers crossed, and, hopefully, will have pics to post at some point in the future:)

happy gardening,
t.

#55374 October 8th, 2006 at 09:27 PM
I'll be heere waiting patiently (if I can LOL) for those pics!

#55375 October 8th, 2006 at 10:08 PM
oooooooooooh - lucky you!
That's going to be gorgeous when it's in bloom!!!

It's nice to meet another member who is not all that far away! Have you seen Wrennie's post about a GH member get-together this coming July? It would be a couple hours drive for you, but thought you might be interested.

#55376 October 9th, 2006 at 09:52 PM
T
OP Offline
T
Lynne!

I did not see that post about the get-together ters

Where's it posted?

I'd love to go!!!!!!!!! (hopefully, by that time, 2 hour drive will not be a problem for me; I just got my driver's license in April and am still scared of driving on the highways sca . After years and years of biking, it's hard for me to get used to the idea that cars are not enemies wink , but I am getting there... Although I think that I'll be always be more comfortable on the bike and I still say that cars are bad and bikes are good. BUT it's hard to log a 15 pound bag of soil and a dozen clay pots on the bike, so grudgingly I have to agree that cars have their uses.)

Ok, time to go do work,

happy gardening,
t.

#55377 October 13th, 2006 at 10:25 AM
your plant looks good.your pot has enough room that you could leave it potted in that pot.If your in-doubt of the soil in the pot.once it drys some pop it out of pot and inspect the bottom.You can always trim some bottom or rub some of the old soil out and stuff a lil fresh inside bottom of pot and make sure it drains well.I curently have mine in a hanging basket.
Epiphyllum Strictum

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Mines potted in expert brand from walmart potting mix with a lil peat mixed in.I started with a cutting& a divsion of this plant 3 years ago.It needs to drain well.I think an orchid mix would be fine.it drains well.

I know you'll survive the wait.I did. grinnnn It really is worth it.look forward to the pictures.
They say the plants rest in the winter.you could let it grow this winter.I did the oppisite my 1st year so had very lil growth.Your winter growth will harden off this summer.

#55378 October 14th, 2006 at 12:36 AM
T
OP Offline
T
Thank you, Njoynit! Since it appears to be doing fine now, I'll leave it as it is, and maybe will replant it in a more epi-specific soil in the spring. This plant has suffered so much that I do not want to disturb it more than necessary now that it is finally enjoying itself .

I love your pics!!!!!!!! Definitely worth the wait.

happy gardening,
t.

Link Copied to Clipboard