This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#55297 October 7th, 2006 at 09:43 AM
D
OP Offline
D
Hi everyone! I got some Anemone bulbs at the store tonight. I've never seen any that look like these before, they're like daisies! I love them so much and I'm so excited to plant them! Does anyone else have these? Is there anything I should know about planting them? This will be my first time planting bulbs! When should I have them planted by? Thanks so much!

[Linked Image]

P.S. Is it true that they only flower for one or two months? That kind of stinks! What do you guys do once they're done blooming? Dig them up and plant something else there? I don't think I'd like a bare spot in my garden for that long, especially since I don't have enough room as it is. Can I dig them up and save them to use again for the next fall?

#55298 October 7th, 2006 at 04:55 PM
Just a suggestion...have you considered planting them in a container? Then you wouldn't have to worry about the space they would take up in a flowerbed. wink I bought a package of Anemone the first year I gardened and they performed beautifully that spring...never saw them again after that. I don't know if the squirrels dug them up or what! They are pretty little flowers for sure. wink

#55299 October 7th, 2006 at 10:56 PM
A
A
I have mine planted next to a daylily that fills in the empty space when they finish blooming. You should plant them now, and not very deep.

#55300 October 8th, 2006 at 12:45 AM
Hey - I just planted these! Can't wait for spring!

#55301 October 10th, 2006 at 01:14 AM
D
OP Offline
D
Thanks everyone! I'm debating about whether to plant them in a container or in the ground. How long do I have to debate? LOL! I'm hoping I can make up my mind today as it's a nice day here for planting! smile I got 30 of them (3 packages), by the way! I hope they'd all fit in a big container if that's what I decide.

#55302 October 10th, 2006 at 02:44 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I have them and they are the sweeeeeeeeetest little flowers/plants...
I love them..

They come up early spring..
They do eventually spread/naturalize...
but they are verrrry far from aggressive..
*very dainty actually*

They do only bloom for a short period,
and they do disappear in the early summer,
*so, to me that's the only bad part, as I don't dare plant anyyyyyyything where they are, cause they are very easily disturbed or not to come up
if you let something agressive go over it..
*I know that from experience cause I let some creeping phlox by it, thought it would still come up thru it, but it engulfed it*

#55303 October 10th, 2006 at 08:57 AM
D
OP Offline
D
Thanks so much for the info, Weezie! I'm thinking I should go with the container idea on this one.. although I'm not much of a container person! If I plant them in containers, will they be ok over the winter above ground like that? I don't have a garage or anything. Sorry if that's a dumb question.. I'm new to both bulbs AND containers! Thanks!

#55304 October 10th, 2006 at 09:08 AM
I just bought a bag of mixed tulip bulbs at Home Depot - only $6.99 for a bag of 40 ! I hope they're a good quality. The low price is kind of scary. The package does say Dutch bulbs though.
They're in the crisper drawer of the fridge until February 1st. ters

#55305 October 10th, 2006 at 10:37 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Daylily,
I have never grown them in a container,
so I am not versed on them..
Mine are grown in a raised bed...
but they seem to be a pretty hardy bulb,
we're zone 5 here and they come back..

Remember, it does take them severalllllll years to establish themselves..

Can you do a test/experiment and plant some in a container and some in the ground and see which is easier and better for the plant/bulb????
Just an idea!

#55306 October 10th, 2006 at 11:10 AM
D
OP Offline
D
Thanks again, Weezie! I just may do that experiment smile

#55307 October 12th, 2006 at 01:27 AM
D
OP Offline
D
Ok, to anyone who can answer this.. does each bulb only make 1 flower? That's what I'm assuming, but I really don't know. Sorry if that's a dumb question!

#55308 October 13th, 2006 at 02:37 PM
D
OP Offline
D
*bumping in hopes that someone can answer my dumb question* wink

#55309 October 13th, 2006 at 08:35 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
You know to be honest,
I am not sure...
It's usually so cold or cooler at that time...
I'm not out there everyday or after a while,
they've multiplied so much, and all mixed together.. that it's hard to tell..

I do know that when I first had them, I picked a few flowers here and there for vases.. and they weren't fast at doing much..
Then I decided to stop picking them, and after the last handful of years, they've really picked up in multiplying...

Link Copied to Clipboard