This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#54984 January 10th, 2006 at 09:16 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think I'll just stick to my tree and forget about trimming

#54985 January 10th, 2006 at 09:41 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have my lilac tree planted on the corner of my Vegetable Garden site. It is planted in Red Alabama Clay. Which usually is acidic..I have been reading that lilac like's alkaline soil better.
If I get the soil tested and find that it is acidic should I try to change the soil composition around the bottom of the plant?
How would I do that if I needed to?? OR should I just leave it, and not mess with a good thing since the plant seems to be happy?

#54986 January 10th, 2006 at 10:17 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[Linked Image]

Here is a picture of my lilac. It is on the south west corner of my vegetable garden.

Hope you can see it..

#54987 January 11th, 2006 at 12:02 AM
wavey HI Oui If it is healthy and it looks like it is i would just leave it be.it looks like it is growing really fast so it must be happy wink .you probably have the same type of soil that i have here in collingsville.just about 75 miles south of you and just north of gadsden about 25 miles from noccalulla falls.i live on look out mountain but i have a lot of rock to deal with here.I have kin folks that live in gurley close to huntsville and they have pretty much the same type of soil.your friend in gardening.mike57 wavey flw flw

#54988 January 11th, 2006 at 04:23 AM
N
N
It appears to be a Persian Lilac , which has a bushy growth characteristic. I have one, but my climate zone is at the edge of its range,and it's fading away.
I agree with Mike -- let it be if it looks happy.

#54989 January 11th, 2006 at 09:59 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Okay: I will leave it...Before I came to this forum I just planted stuff and whatever happened happened... I had 2 purple one's too but they died the first winter....My yard is just slightly slanted toward the south. Lots of water runs down to that lilac when it rains....So I just put a little time released plant food on it and leave it. The recent trimming that I gave it is the only other care I have done. See all the white oak leaves all over that corner of the yard??? Oh how I dislike white oak leaves..<smile>>

#54990 January 11th, 2006 at 10:14 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Really now that I have taken the time to learn that lilacs like less acidic/slightly alkaline soil I am going to plant 2 purple ones again. In a row behind the white one..Or maybe one in front and one behind...See I put horse manure in my vegetable garden....Horse manure is acidic. The original purple ones would have been getting direct run off from the garden. That may be why they died. I think the white one survived because it is on the corner, thus would not be getting so much direct run off. I think I will plant one purple one on the other corner, east of the white one and another purple one west of the white one. That way none of the plants would be exposed to the run off..I hope my plan works...

That is the spot where I want the lilacs to be...

#54991 January 12th, 2006 at 02:32 AM
HI Oui That sounds like you have it figured out and have a good plane for them.I wish you the best of luck with them.your friend in gardening.mike57

#54992 January 16th, 2006 at 08:51 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks..I think I need prayers too...<<smile>>

#54993 January 21st, 2006 at 03:16 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Okay I planted the lilac seeds..The original sprouts that I reported shrivled up..I think because I was soaking the seeds in nothing but water.

I am hoping that I did not kill them and that they will sprout again.

I planted the seeds in 2 chia herb garden pots and soil..see my topis Q's re chia herb garden on the herbs forum...Since these herbs sprouted so easily in the chia conditions I wanted to try to use the same soil for my lilacs...We shall see...I will keep you updated...

#54994 January 22nd, 2006 at 11:44 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[Linked Image]

Here is an old picture I found...My lilac is way in the background...It looks happy Right???Up close is my pink and white Crape Myrtle..

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard