This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#54499 November 14th, 2006 at 11:36 AM
OP Offline
I plan on keeping a plant or two on my window sill. Nothing big or gigantic, only something to make my small room seem a little more natural.

The window space is incredibly small. It's about 2 or 3ft wide and the height is about 1 or 2 ft. It's not exactly a window sill, since there's enough space there for me to put a plant there or even a ps2 (more like 4 actually, if I had that many). This area doesn't get too much light, but it's not a dark or dingy area, it just doesn't get direct sunlight. If I can, I'll get a picture.

Currently I have a very small money tree that's hardly a ft in length. I've had it since august and it seems to be doing quite fine, though I guess one side grows more generously than the other. The only problem I seem to have with it, is that it's growing too slow (had it since august and only one (5) leaf per shoot has arose) and the soil seems to have this wierd sort of fungal matter growing atop the soil. It doesn't look like anything dangerous, doesn't appear to have any spores or anything, and they're very tiny (again, picture asap).

Right well anyways. Anyone have any ideas for good, small houseplants that I can keep in this little area of my room?

Ty!

#54500 November 14th, 2006 at 12:28 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Coleus will take indirect or partial shade areas. Or if you get one of the new light bulbs and put a lamp over there you could probably do a jade plant. Just realize that jade will do a leaf drop if they go from bright direct light to indirect light to quickly.

#54501 November 15th, 2006 at 10:23 AM
I have my Orchid in the north window, no sun..It prefers that. Christmas cactus prefer that.
Those small heartshaped vines love that window.Dont know the name.

I bet Impatient plants too.....

dodge idea

#54502 November 15th, 2006 at 01:19 PM
M
M
Philodendrons and pothos (dodge's heartshaped vines) and Sansevieria will do well there. Your "wierd sort of fungal matter growing atop the soil" is probably from not letting the soil dry out enough between waterings. Scrape it off, put on some new soil, and let it dry to an inch or so down before watering again.

#54503 November 16th, 2006 at 09:44 AM
OP Offline
Sounds great. Thanks for the responses!

#54504 November 19th, 2006 at 10:36 AM
T
T
Spider plant, Ivy, Pothos, nerve plant, shefflerra.

#54505 November 21st, 2006 at 09:05 PM
My suggestion is a coleus of some sort. They can grow in any light type, and are easy to care for. I know, from personal experience, that they can come back from even being uprooted a couple times. For some reason, my cats love them. But, they are very hardy and the one I got a couple years ago it overgrowing my room! Jut my input.

#54506 November 21st, 2006 at 09:18 PM
coleus?????????

Mine dropped dead inside in the north window,
That does suprise me.

Maybe I am not fit for Coleus......Ha ha
I have my prioritys..
;o)

dodge

Link Copied to Clipboard