This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#54344 March 27th, 2006 at 07:22 AM
KKMedic Offline OP
OP Offline
I thought I had the perfect idea to begin transplanting... since everything is blooming here... my daffodils have already bloomed and finished. So I was thinking perhaps I could dig some of the bulbs as they finish their pretty display to be able to take to our new home. Dilemma: Should I give them more time to die down and feed back into the bulb or should they be ok to go ahead and dig up without causing any problems for next year?
(Does that make sense?) lala

#54345 March 27th, 2006 at 10:24 AM
Hi KK! I would wait as long as possible, but, as long as you leave the green leaves on you should be ok. I got a bunch from a neighbor one year-I stuck them in a bucket of dirt until I got around to planting them. The foliage just flopped over once I planted, but I still left it on, and they seemed to bloom fine the next year. Just try to disturb the roots as little as possible...good luck!

#54346 March 27th, 2006 at 11:54 AM
Hi KK! wavey

When I moved mine, I just dug up clumps of them and left the dirt intact so they really weren't disturbed. I put them in plastic bags so they were easy to transport, then took them to their new home and planted them. I don't think they noticed any difference. thumbup

patches kit

#54347 March 27th, 2006 at 09:54 PM
KKMedic Offline OP
OP Offline
When I plant them at the new house, should I leave the dying back leaves out, or is it ok to cover them with dirt (rather than having floppy dying back greenery everywhere?)

#54348 March 27th, 2006 at 10:13 PM
Hi KKMedic wavey
I have dug up bulbs after flowering many times. I leave the foliage on and put them in a plastic milk crates with holes so they can breathe and leave them in a dry place. I've left them like that all summer and planted them back up in the fall with some bulb booster and they were just fine. By the time I planted them, the foliage was dry and easy to get off.

Link Copied to Clipboard