This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#54044 November 24th, 2006 at 01:59 AM
W
winageo Offline OP
OP Offline
W
We wish to winter one of our banana plants in a pot, to avoid losing all from frost (we live in Arizona where the occasional frost will wipe the plants out down to the root system. What conditions does a potted banana plant need, location, sun requirements, potting soil, watering, etc. HELP! Winageo

#54045 November 24th, 2006 at 02:19 AM
A
A
You can #1- take it out of the pot and store it in a cool room (basicaly treating it like a bareroot plant) and repotting next year or #2-leave it in the pot and put in a cool room and let it go dormant or #3- leave it in the pot and put it in a sunny place and grow it as a houseplant. I usually do #2, cut it back, water very infrequently.

#54046 November 24th, 2006 at 10:11 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I recommend you #2.
One of my bananas didn't make once with #1.

#54047 December 3rd, 2006 at 01:42 AM
Here is someones method with pictures of them doing cold storage.

http://bananas.org/showthread.php?t=310

I have one indoors in a pot.Its a pup I recieved in trade (Orincio?sp?)I just potted it in some compost& it sits on kitchen floor in front of window.My others are cold hardy& I just cut off the leaves& they come back to life in the spring.I've not watered it yet,nor plan giveing it very much till about mid feb i'll wake it up then.

Also Paul James had a guest on his show(old one....before his new house)And they discussed the 3 methods of storage as well.I know Paul choose the underhouse storage.He wraped in burlap& covered in burlap as well.He left 2 leaves

Link Copied to Clipboard