This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#53864 September 17th, 2006 at 06:30 AM
W
OP Offline
W
Hi everyone, My partner and i just bought a house and we are planting our garden here for the first time. Since putting in our vegtables we have found that the stems of the vege are turning purple, we have tried to search the problem on here but cant seem to find out what might be causing this to happen, we believe its the soil, what do you think?
thx

#53865 September 17th, 2006 at 04:54 PM
Vegies turning purple can be an indication of a phosphorous deficiency. Cabbages turning purple around the leaf fringes are a good example. Other indications are that the plants can be stunted or just lacking in vigour. Some will have a greyness to what should be green colouring. I'm not certain this is your problem though. As it's a new garden for you, it might be worthwhile getting some soil samples tested. Then you can be sure. A small outlay for some vry valuable knowledge. It may also be a Ph imbalance making Phos' unavailable to the plants or some other imbalance in your soil.

#53866 October 6th, 2006 at 11:53 PM
P
P
Which vegetable?

If it is tomato, the stems tends to have purple coloring.

Aside from tomato, and as LONGY stated above, purple coloring in vegetables is generally an indication of phosphorus deficiency. Young seedlings can be fed with fish emulsion or liquid seaweed. If the leaves are turning purple, use fertilizer high in phosphorus content.

#53867 October 7th, 2006 at 11:02 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Your not alone. My Cinnamon Basil has purple stems on the plant outside but regular stems on the inside plant and they were cuttings taken from the same parent plant. And yes the plants were stunted as well. Remember that amending the soil can take some time to work. And good luck with your new place.

Link Copied to Clipboard