This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#52587 December 5th, 2006 at 10:33 AM
OP Offline
ok. I have collected Bonsai plants for a few months almost year or half a year and they grow so fast the magnifolia green tree grows like really quickly in just one month and i had to prune the whole tree because it was growing so rapidly anyways my question is can you grow bonsai in black pots with bonsia soil? i know you can grow ficus in which i bought one and placed it into a pot with bonsai soil so yeah,
tell me more about bonsai if you have any experience i have collected juniper, conifer , maples, magnifolia "green leafed". And a fig tree "pot belly fig" as a bonsai and... jade trees, many other juniper different types of trees. please tell me more about growing them.

#52588 December 6th, 2006 at 04:55 AM
You can grow a bonsai in just about any pot that is balanced with the tree itself..

I have grown the same one for near 4 years now.. I was checking out a few different types to try and grow from seed! The one I have now is a lustrium it is an indoor outdoor type in my area..

I could sit here and type a bunch of things.. But is there a specific question you have?? I have several books that I use as guides...

#52589 December 21st, 2006 at 10:37 AM
N
N
i'm involved in an alternative to bonsai, Ueki no Te Ire , or giant bonsai, in sculpting a scots pine into a Japanese style form. Here's what I've achieved after about eleven years so far:
[Linked Image]

The objective here is the branch over gate form, or Monkan Shitate, with that lower branch.

One thing I've learned in the process is that the scots pine doesn't respond to this type of treatment as does, say, the
japanese Black Pine, in that it's a much larger tree. Therefore, I'm contending with a heavier branch characteristic which may not develop into as graceful a form as would a smaller species.

Before spring, I'll trim off the stubs left from this year's work. There's still some way to go yet.

#52590 December 21st, 2006 at 09:36 PM
WOW that would be a challange to do on such a large scale!!

#52591 December 22nd, 2006 at 02:10 AM
N
N
Not really, though there are safety issues to consider, particularly in being on a ladder. Takes lots of time, also, in keeping watch on a tree over the years.

Check out this site for a glimpse of this fascinating -- to me, at least-- style of tree maintenance. Giant Bonsai . It gives an overview of a book,which I got through Amazon.com, explaining the techniques involved. I find the book useful as a specialized supplement to pruning guides I already have.

#52592 December 23rd, 2006 at 11:10 AM
That is wicked cool!! I have no trees I could do that with in my yard but it is very neat to look at! Thanks for sharing! thumbup

#52593 December 24th, 2006 at 09:26 AM
I used to tinker on the little ones, but the watering needs were more than I cared to deal with.

The version you are learning, is easier for maintenance.

Link Copied to Clipboard