This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#5244 February 13th, 2007 at 01:42 PM
OP Offline
I have a bunch of leftover fresh dill from a few days ago, and would like to make some bread with it. However... most of the recipes I am finding online use cottage cheese???! Firstly, I don't have any in the house, and secondly that just sounds very strange to me!

Anyone have a recipe that uses "normal" ingredients for dill bread?

#5245 February 13th, 2007 at 02:22 PM
You can put dill in regular bread!

#5246 February 13th, 2007 at 02:27 PM
OP Offline
Thanks, but I've never made bread.

I do cakes, etc, but have not made any bread.

#5247 February 13th, 2007 at 04:10 PM
I have a Bunch of recipes for Bread but do you have active dry yeast?

#5248 February 13th, 2007 at 06:38 PM
OP Offline
I do have the yeast, Rita, and actually went back out to the store, so now I have some cottage cheese. Also found a pretty simple recipe online this morning, so I'll probably try it out tomorrow if we are snowbound!

#5249 February 16th, 2007 at 12:46 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Cottage Cheese to MAKE bread??????

Oh I have never heard of that before either...
When do you add it, when you're mixing up the yeast and rising it part or just WHEN???? Duh

#5250 February 16th, 2007 at 01:18 PM
OP Offline
Welllllllllllll - I have decided that I just CANNOT do yeast breads!
The yeast never bubbles for me, and the dough NEVER rises properly!
WHAT AM I DOING WRONG???

This bread, while it tasted very good after baking it FOREVER, and then slicing it and putting it in the toaster oven, NEVER rose and was only an inch high!!! It was heavy and dense, and not at all like it was supposed to be. My family ate it anyway - awwwwwwwwwwwwww! I would like to give it one more try - HELP ME PEEPS???

Weezie - you first disolve the yeast in the warm water, and then you warm the cottage cheese to about 110-115*. You add that, and all the other ingredients at the same time.

hmmmm - thought I saved the recipe on my computer - will have to look it up again...

#5251 February 16th, 2007 at 02:15 PM
My mom made some bread a few times here and has decided that she needs double yeast because it is soooo humid here... it worked for her.. you might try that Lynne!! Duh

#5252 February 16th, 2007 at 02:24 PM
OP Offline
noooooooooooooooo humidity here, Rita!
As a matter of fact, it's so @#$%^ dry in this house with the heat on, my lips are badly cracked!

#5253 February 16th, 2007 at 02:48 PM
Duh It is dry as Heck here too.. I don't know it did work for her when she mad her bread Duh

#5254 February 16th, 2007 at 03:03 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Originally posted by plants 'n pots:
noooooooooooooooo humidity here, Rita!
As a matter of fact, it's so @#$%^ dry in this house with the heat on, my lips are badly cracked!
That nessessarily doesn't mean it's too hot in your house, it means basically your own water intake (and NOT TAKING IN ENOUGH) and things like duretics' you're eating, like Tea, can make you pea it out faster...
*sorrrrrrrrry, didn't mean to mess up/go off topic of your bread..

#5255 February 16th, 2007 at 03:09 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Not that I am a dough maker by annnny means..
*cause I s#ck at it*
but dough can not be over worked..
*(punched, stirred, mixed)*

And it has to be left in a draft free area
*(which my house does not have :rolleyes: eek )*

But a quick tip is you can turn on your oven
to about 300*'s.. then when it reaches that temp,
turn it off, and slide your bread over to where the heat would come out of your oven....
and let it rise there..
Cover it with a moist (non terry) towel.. thumbup

#5256 February 16th, 2007 at 03:14 PM
The humidity has a lot to do with Bread making and there are adjustments that need to be made when making bread on a rainy day or high humidity. I'm just not sure what they are, sorry Lynne!

I have tried to make bread on many occasions, and although I'm an excellent cook and baker in many other areas, bread making is not one of them! :p mad

I have been told that I could be killing the yeast, if the temp of the water is too hot. It says to use LUKEWARM WATER, between 90 and 100*, well, think of a swimming pool. When they tell you the pool is 80* it really doesn't feel all that warm , does it? If you have a thermometer I would think that would be the best way to accurately get the water temp right. And it sounds like they had you heat the cottage cheese up too hot! That could've killed the yeast.

I have had a few successes with bread, but only when I work at it really hard and do everything EXACTLY the way it says, so.............Good luck with your next bread adventure!

#5257 February 16th, 2007 at 03:21 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I agree with everything Mel said too!!!

#5258 February 16th, 2007 at 03:25 PM
Oh yes, Weezie's got a good tip there about the warm place for it to rise, that is another one of my problems, after killing the yeast then I freeze it to death! laugh

I keep my house pretty cool and can never think of a warm place to let it rise(and where the cats and kids and dust won't get into it laugh ) Weezies idea on top of the stove is an excellent one, make sure you shut the oven off though as she says to, you just want to warm up the surface a little. Another place I've heard works good, and this was in the olden days so I don't know how much heat you'd get nowadays, but it is on top of the tv. Feel it and see if it gets warm, and make sure it's not a flat screen tv cuz then it wouldn't be wide enough to hold your bowl!

#5259 February 16th, 2007 at 03:26 PM
I agree with everything Weezie said too!!!

#5260 February 16th, 2007 at 03:30 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
hahahahaha! wink

#5261 February 16th, 2007 at 03:36 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I also used to love to do those pre~made breads' that came in the freezer section made by Rich Products' *it's local here, not sure if it's acrossed the states* but I'd put it on my old radiator type heaters we have upstairs in the renters apartment.. *(I miss those heaters soooo much.. and in case of power outages, they still work and we'd heat water, soup, etc on top of them)*

But it raised them PERFECTLY!
When we moved downstairs I was soooo disappointed! eek

#5262 February 17th, 2007 at 02:49 AM
OP Offline
OK - I "know" how to do the yeast, it just never wants to cooperate for me! I put the dough on the stove under the light on the hood - it was the warmest place I could think of with room for it. But since the yeast never rose to begin with, it was a no go from the start...

#5263 February 17th, 2007 at 01:01 PM
It could of been bad yeast Lynne..Or could of been to hot or tooo cold!! Its one of those crazy things!!

That is one of the reasons I only do quick breads anymore! laugh thumbup

#5264 February 24th, 2007 at 10:15 PM
When I buy Yeast I make sure the expiration date on it has at least another year to go on it,, I've had bad experiences with any date on yeast less than a year to go Duh eek

#5265 February 25th, 2007 at 01:52 AM
OP Offline
The yeast was definitely fresh, and like you, Diane, I always make sure it has a lengthy expiration date.

The weird thing is... this store has moved the yeast to a refrigerated section. Previously, it was always kept in the baking aisle at room temperature. I wonder if being cold has anything to do with ruining the yeast? I've never seen it kept cold in a store before!

#5266 February 25th, 2007 at 01:34 PM
Hello all!
I am an AVID bread baker and have recently come across a fabulous new way to make bread. It's called the "no knead bread" and it is literally the easiest way to make bread!
No yeast proofing, no rising at a set temp, no punching...and NO KNEADING!
We've varied the recipe by adding fresh herbs, cheeses, flax seeds, etc..and it never fails!
Try it once and you'll be hooked!
You can Google "no knead bread" or check out the step by step process on my blog: http://creamerchronicles.blogspot.com
(It's so easy that my 9 year old is making it!)

#5267 February 25th, 2007 at 01:46 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
AgnusDeiHmschl,
That is so neat your wee~one can do that..
Loved the pictures of his tutorial of how
to do it... thumbup
It does almost look tooooooo easy! wink

#5268 February 25th, 2007 at 05:52 PM
Originally posted by plants 'n pots:

The weird thing is... this store has moved the yeast to a refrigerated section. Previously, it was always kept in the baking aisle at room temperature. I wonder if being cold has anything to do with ruining the yeast? I've never seen it kept cold in a store before!
Hmmmm That's odd Lynne Wonder why they would do that??? was it the Jar or the package or both??

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard