This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#52507 September 16th, 2006 at 03:44 PM
D
OP Offline
D
Hi everyone. I recently got some Gerbera seeds that I'd like to try to sow indoors to have as a houseplant over fall and winter. First, is this possible? Will it bloom in that time from seed? Any information you can give me would be much appreciated! Thanks!

#52508 September 16th, 2006 at 05:28 PM
I've never tried Gerbera Daisies from seeds but I understand it can be quite a "trial and error" endeavor. wink

Doing a search here at Garden Helper for information at the top of the page, turned up this discussion topic.

Found this info at a seed site;

Tender Perennial hardy in zones 8-11. Daisy like flowers in red, white, yellow and pink on long stems. Ideal for cut flowers. For transplants, sow seeds in flat, short end down. Do not completely cover as they need light to germinate. 15-20 days to germinate at 70 degrees. Can grow in pots. In colder areas bring inside during winter. You can propagate them from cuttings.

#52509 September 16th, 2006 at 05:37 PM
D
OP Offline
D
Thanks for that, Rosie! I appreciate it! So from that thread I see that they'll take 6 months to flower.

Oh I also forgot to ask if anyone knows if the seeds need to be chilled for a time before sowing? I just got them fresh from a plant yesterday.

#52510 September 17th, 2006 at 07:30 PM
T
T
Hi daylily, I was given a pink Gerbera plant (my first) that performed miserably in 3/4 shade but blossomed well and got twice as large when I moved it to 3/4 sun (just in this Summer alone).

As I am also collecting seeds from my garden now, I've been reading up. Some say the seeds last only 6 months, others a year. Consensus is to keep them in the fridge and that an established plant can winter over inside in a cool place. Some also suggest starting them under glass... So many choices frown

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/MG034 :
"The medium can be placed in flats or pots that have drainage holes. Make shallow rows in the medium approximately twice the depth of the diameter of the seed, sow seeds in the rows, cover lightly with extra medium and water carefully."

Sow sharp end down, 15-25 days to germination at 70-75 F.

When collecting this week, I'll let them dry for a week, pop them in the fridge for a week, then sow them hoping for Fall seedlings. I'm also in zone 6 so our race is on smile Please post your progress with your gerbera seeds as I'm interested in your success with this lovely flower smile

#52511 September 17th, 2006 at 08:44 PM
I have not had much luck with my Gerbera at all...
I started it indoors and when it got a few leaves- I repotted and put it outside. It got bigger, I repotted...etc. Still no blooms. I have very healthy leaves, tho! smile I put it in the ground this past week...we'll see how it goes!

Can it stay out over winter or do I have to pot it up and bring it in??

Best of luck to you, Daylilly!

#52512 September 17th, 2006 at 08:54 PM
Tonya, planting Gerbera too deep can result in no blooms but lots of nice foliage. I found that out the hard way. perpl Their crown should be just above the soil level to promote blooms. Mine overwinter in the ground here but I don't know what zone you are in.

#52513 September 18th, 2006 at 12:19 AM
Rosie, I got mine(as seed) in a can at the dollar general store as a little thing to teach Summer about plants. It did poorly until I put it outside. I have been keeping it planted with the crown just above, I think?? Duh I'll try to get some pics....

#52514 September 18th, 2006 at 04:06 AM
Tonya, that's a great project to do with kids! thumbup Maybe the Gerbera, like a lot of perennials, will not bloom until the 2nd year? I don't know as the few I've bought were established bedding plants. I just dug up my peach color Gerbera and potted her up for the winter as a houseplant. She appeared to be finished blooming so I'm hoping I did it right. Wish me luck! wink

#52515 September 19th, 2006 at 05:07 AM
D
OP Offline
D
Thanks so much for all of the information! I really appreciate it! I'm going to try this probably tomorrow. smile

Link Copied to Clipboard