This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#51578 September 17th, 2006 at 12:39 AM
B
OP Offline
B
Hello! I did a search on the web to see what info I could find on Weeping willows since I have a problem (I think) on a willow tree we planted 3 years ago.

Then I found your site! It's wonderful to have a forum such as this for sharing gardening tips.

This summer, we have received a lot of rain, and our young willow tree began to lean/droop to the point that main branches that previously were vertical are now completely parallel with the ground! I used stakes and rope to bring the largest branches vertical again, but not sure if this is healthy for the tree.

The tree is about 16-20 feet tall. The trunk is about 3 feet long before splitting into 3 main branches.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

#51579 September 20th, 2006 at 11:50 PM
The Bird Man
The Bird Man
Mine did the same thing. Now the side branches on top of the trunk are becoming trunks themselves. I'm just leaving mine like that. The tree isn't hurt and I think it's quite aesthetically pleasing and the birds LOVE it. I have a dozen feeders hanging from the branches like Christmas tree ornaments and the birds flock in making it prettier still. PLUS, I have a pet rabbit, and when I prune the branches, he goes gah-gah over the fresh willow leaves, and the dead wood that comes off the tree he chews on to keep his teeth in good shape. (I checked the internet and fresh willow branches are EXTREMELY beneficial and nutritious for rabbits and my bunny LOVES them. Plus I get the compost laugh )

Link Copied to Clipboard