This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#50845 October 14th, 2006 at 01:31 AM
OP Offline
Last night we received our first hardy frost for the season. Now today we have a FREEZE warning for our area. I ordered periennials and they just arrived today. Unfortunately, not only are we getting frost and freezing early but the company I bought plants from took a little too long to get them shipped out. What should I do? Should I go ahead and plant them? I'm afraid that tonight's freeze will kill them.
Please help! sca

#50846 October 14th, 2006 at 01:57 AM
R
R
I'm in the same boat as you!! I ordered my perennials from Michigan Bulb in August and they are dribbling in now mad , needless to say - we've already had two frosts!! The little ones are only about 1 inch tall, so I'm just beside myself - I hope someone has some good advice for you, I'll say a prayer! Let's hope for the bestmuggs

#50847 October 14th, 2006 at 02:24 AM
I have ordered from them before and they do that all the time. I got most to survive by planting them in styrofoam containers and put them close to the house.

The first time I tried planting the small plants they send late in the ground and mulching good did not survive. They are good about replacing or refunding your money if they do not survive.

I now only order bulbs from them from Aug on. I order plants if they are cheap enough in March and April.

#50848 October 15th, 2006 at 02:06 AM
OP Offline
Thanks for the replies.
I have some of the plants already planted. The ones I just received the other day I'm thinking of putting them in and see what happens since they do have a guarantee. The bulbs I'm not worried about. Funny you mentioned about your orders trickling in. I just received an email about the rest of my items being shipped out today. :rolleyes:
I guess time will tell.

#50849 October 15th, 2006 at 02:45 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
What were the kinds' flw ordered????

#50850 October 15th, 2006 at 05:14 AM
I orderd from michigan bulb for the first time this year and I just got an email that about half my bulbs are being shipped out. My problem is that I'm afraid it's still too warm during the day to put them in when they get here this week. We're still getting almost 70 degree days. Kelly, I hope yours all do well and make it through the winter.

#50851 October 16th, 2006 at 10:36 PM
R
R
The baby's I put in were the green and black Rubeckia, Red Valerian, verigated creeping seedum, and Cirsium, rose beauty - think they have a shot?

#50852 October 17th, 2006 at 12:01 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Were the Rubeckia's just green leaves and no flower buds???

If they were just leaves, then they should fair well...
I plant Black~Eyed~Susan's and relatives in the fall..
*I plant the seeds in spring, keep them in the 6~pks all summer... then plant in the fall time..
sounds screwy, but it works...*

The Cirsium, I thought was like a thistle..
*do you have a link to where you purchased them from to get a better idea of what type of plant it really is?*
If it's a thistle like plant, they're pretty tough...

Sedums' are pretty hardy, just maybe throw some
chopped leaves on top of them, and get some mulch coverage and weight to push them to the ground to make contact with *not toooo heavy, just enough*....

#50853 October 17th, 2006 at 12:39 AM
R
R
Hi weezie, the Rubeckia were just leaves - The links of the flowers I bought are below - I'm really excited about the Cirsium (it is a thistle), it looks really cool clp

http://michiganbulb.com/search.asp?ss=cirsium

http://michiganbulb.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_66656_A_Valerian%2C+Red_E_

http://michiganbulb.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_68594_A_Rudbeckia%2C+Green+Wizard+_E_

Link Copied to Clipboard