This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#50517 October 3rd, 2006 at 06:01 AM
C
ceeview Offline OP
OP Offline
C
This lawn issue is incredible! My back and front yard lawns are lush...well...the back is because brown patch is spreading in the front. I purchased Scott's Fungal Disease Control today but I haven't spread it yet because it was windy.

Okay...now for the 'cart before the horse'....is it too late to apply this? I was expecting to put down the Scott's Winterizer but something needs to be done about this first. What are your thoughts?

CeeView

#50518 October 3rd, 2006 at 06:56 PM
J
J
I would be more interested in determining what the cause of the infection is. There were conditions present that enabled the disease to take hold. Usually damp or wet conditions or poor weather(which we've certainly had in CT this season) increase the likelihood of disease. Some varieties are much more prone to disease damage than others. Basically, my point is, you can't just kill the fungus and not expect it to come back if you don't fix the cause of the problem.

#50519 October 4th, 2006 at 02:42 AM
C
ceeview Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thanks JohnCT...

Point well taken. You're correct....we've had very wet conditions and I've argued with my lawn crew that they cut the front yard too close. As you can assume, my front yard seems to be my nemesis because it seems to have the problems more than the backyard. Anyway...I wasn't home last Saturday but after I returned home, I discovered that the lawn crew mowed the lawn and I saw that it had rained earlier that morning. Could this be the problem?

Thanks,

Ceeview

#50520 October 4th, 2006 at 06:53 PM
J
J
Doubtful. The fungus couldn't take hold that quickly. However, I would insist that they cut the turf higher or find someone else. Mowing high is one of the BEST cultural practices you can do for turfgrass. 3.5" should be the minimum height. Another thing about lawn disease problems. It is very difficult for disease to establish itself on healthy turf, so that should be priority number 1. What type of turfgrass is it btw?

#50521 October 8th, 2006 at 09:49 PM
C
ceeview Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Good Morning johnCT...

We have Canadian Green...a mixture of the following:

Creeping Red Fescue
Kentucky Bluegrass
Annual Ryegrass

The backyard is fine...it's just portions of the front where we're having the problem.

Thanks!

Ceeview

#50522 October 15th, 2006 at 05:40 AM
C
ceeview Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Here is a picture I took today of my front yard. Take a look at it and tell me what you think it is. Once you decide that, do you think it's better for me to just winterize as usual and wait for springtime to overseed?

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/ceeview123/photo/294928803285980111/0

CeeView

#50523 October 16th, 2006 at 04:47 AM
J
J
It's almost impossible to tell from a picture what caused the problem, but I can tell you that it is too late for this year to seed. Wait til spring.

#50524 October 22nd, 2006 at 04:43 AM
C
ceeview Offline OP
OP Offline
C
johnCT,

Thank you for responding. I thought as much since the temperatures are now bouncing from 60 degrees to high forties every other day.

I did communicate with our County Extension office and they've asked me to bring in samples of both front and backyards. I should have done this some time ago but they were doing okay.

I'm curious to see what they find simply because this way, I won't contribute to the problem.

CeeView

Link Copied to Clipboard