This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#5028 December 27th, 2006 at 02:30 AM
OP Offline
Along with desserts, we've got lots of Honey Baked Ham leftover. Hey, wish I could serve you all. That would be less I would have to eat. laugh

I bought eggroll buns for ham samies. I plan on using the end piece for my red beans and rice.

Was wondering if ya'll had any good recipes you could share with me using the ham. What about a good ham salad recipe? Suggestions, recipes?

#5029 December 27th, 2006 at 04:06 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i usually use the bone to make bean & ham soup. i had in bits of the leftover ham as well as the beans.

put the bone in a large pot of COLD water (just let the tap run for a moment so it chills down) and bring to a boil and then simmer for a few hours (the longer the better). i put a few bay leaves in while the broth is cooking. any meat bits still on the bone will cook off.

you can use any kind of beans you like - kidney's and navy's are usually the best. canned or dried. canned is easier since you don't have to cook them seperately.

once the broth is done, remove the bone and put in one can of beans...let it cook (simmered) until the beans are very soft. mash them up - makes for a nice thick broth - and then add another can or two (depending on how much water you started with) and let them heat through. add in the leftover bits of ham. spice with salt/pepper to taste and a dash or two of garlic powder and onion powder (omit the salt if you use garlic salt). let cook for about 10 minutes so the ham heats through.

i'll look for some ham salad recipes when i get home...i know i have a couple!

#5030 December 27th, 2006 at 05:24 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
My mother has a one of those mini processor's you can leave on the countertop like and it just does a quick chop~up job of the meat...
She'll use either a ham or a ham steak piece, or smoked pork chop and grinder' up and then makes a mayo spread with it on either wheat or rye and pickles.. or tomatoes.. *or what ever your liking would be*.. gives the sandwich a twist..

#5031 December 27th, 2006 at 08:17 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
cool idea, weezie!!

the chopped up ham mixed with mayo would be good on a 'dagwood' type sandwich...

#5032 December 29th, 2006 at 03:41 AM
OP Offline
Hi joclyn,
Thanks! I am going to use the butt end for my red beans. Today I'm cooking white beans and will add some of that great ham. Look forward to your ham salad recipes! Thanks again.

weezie,
Sounds de-lish. Thanks!

#5033 December 29th, 2006 at 04:26 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i'm sorry!! i ran out of time the other night and last night i was in pain (finally got that-darn-cast off and am now doing PT) and i just couldn't deal with going up the steps...i'll take care of it tonight!!

#5034 December 29th, 2006 at 02:23 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Brunch Salad

1/2 cup uncooked macaroni, 1 cup diced cooked ham, 1/2 cup chopped celery, 1 can (8 oz) green beans drained & sliced, 1 can (8 oz) pineapple chunks drained, 1/4 cup toasted slivered almonds, lettuce leaves

dressing: 1/4 cup sour cream, 1/4 cup mayo or salad dressing, 1 tbsp lemon juice, 1/4 tsp ground allspice

cook the macaroni in boiling water to cover for about 8 minutes (until tender) then drain and rinse under cold water.

while macaroni is cooking, combine ham, celery, beans and pineapple and set aside. then, blend sour cream/mayo, lemon juice & allspice in a bowl.

mix the drained macaroni into the ham mix. fold in the dressing and transfer to lettuce lined serving dish (or individual bowls/dishes). sprinkle with the almonds and serve.

can be doubled or halved. can also use cooked turkey or chicken instead of ham. can be chilled for a couple of hours beforehand or served immediately.

Newport Salad

2 cups cooked potatoes diced, 2 cups cooked canned beets diced, 1 cup diced ham, 1/4 cup chopped red onion, 1 green pepper seeded and diced

dressing: 1 egg yolk, 1 tbsp prepared mustard, 1 tbsp cider vinegar, dash salt, 1 tsp brown sugar, 6 tbsp olive oil, 1/4 tsp paprika, 1 tbsp minced parsley

put potatoes, beets, ham and onion in a salad bowl.

make the dressing by putting the yolk in a bowl and adding the mustard, vinegar and salt and blend well. add the brown sugar, oil, parsley and paprika and mix.

pour dressing over ingredients in salad bowl and then cover and refrigerate for at least two hours so flavors blend.

mix, sprinkle with the green pepper and serve. recipe serves 4. you can sub honey for the brown sugar. for additional tangy flavor, add 2 tbsp sweet pickle relish to the dressing.

#5035 December 31st, 2006 at 10:18 AM
OP Offline
Hi Joyclyn,
Thanks for recipes for Brunch and Newport salads.
They both sound unique with interesting combinations for ingredients! Hope your foot is doing better! What happened?

#5036 December 31st, 2006 at 11:38 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
you're welcome!! i had another one for salad and couldn't find it. you'll definitely like the brunch one (you can substitute peas or some other kind of bean for the greenbeans). the other you'll like if you like beets...

i also have a couple of good casserole recipes (for ham) if you want them too!

i broke my foot back at the beginning of sept (fell at work) and it didn't heal properly. it's been exactly one week since i was able to get rid of that-darn-cast. and i don't miss it at all!!! grinnnn

#5037 January 11th, 2007 at 07:53 AM
I make a soup with Ham , cabbage,rice, tators.

We love the cabbagy taste......Always a good use for the bones.

dodge

Link Copied to Clipboard